“Great service, excellent flavors”

Guisandero Seafood & Woodfire Cocina
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 18, 2014

My wife and I, owners of a restaurant in Oregon, came here based on early reviews by diners who appeared to share our tastes. Thank you, Advisers. On a slow night during the Todos Santos Music Festival, we had a thoroughly enjoyable experience, starting with a table-side visit from the young, charming and gracious chef, who left my wife convinced that the Veracruzana fish -- based on his own upbringing and training there -- would meet her expectations. It did, indeed. Fresh tuna in peppers, tomato, white wine, capers and olives with a side of red rice was rich, nicely balanced and appropriately picante (but not overwhelmed by the heat). Our other entree, the seafood rice stew (guisado is Spanish for stew, and the guisandero is the chef who prepares a stew), featured shrimp and octopus in a tomato-based sauce with a lovely chile influence. The chef kindly provided a side sauce of olive oil and pureed pepper, to up the fire factor for those who wished. I wished. Stellar. To start the meal, we shared a large guisandero salad of organic arugula with hibiscus flower vinaigrette, tomatoes, goat cheese and roasted seeds. And to cool off after the spicy mains, we found perfect relief in a moderately sweet, eggy semifreddo with walnuts and a sherry saboyan. Balance all that with a variety of regional wines, several quality Mexican beers and an inviting cactus garden dining environment, and we found ourselves eager for a return visit and a chance to sample the pizza from its wood-fired oven. All this, for about $50 U.S.? More than worth the fare. Thank you, Guisandero.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stumbled upon this wonderful restaurant located on the main street coming into Todos Santos. It has a wonderful atmosphere, set in a cactus and succulent garden. The chef and his staff were great and the food was spectacular! We had yellowtail civeche and shrimp and noodles. Everything was cooked exactly how we ordered it and the salsa were stunning! The location is a little ways from downtown, but it is well worth the trip. This was, by far, our favorite spot we ate on our six day Baja trip.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

My sister and I stopped in here for dinner. We loved the outdoor seating surrounded by cactus and flowers. It was quiet and the first thing I noticed was the woodfire oven. I had the pasta with shrimp and it was amazing. My sister had a salad and the vegetable soup. She said the soup was the best Italian vegetable soup she has ever had. The service was polite and prompt. Eating here on our first night set the trip up to be great! I would return here for sure!

Guisandero, Propietario at Guisandero Seafood & Woodfire Cocina, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Hi Wboyle,

It was a pleasure to attend, We always care for all of our ingredients are the best selection of the region. Hopefully they can get back soon.

Regards

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I really like the cactus garden seating area. The smell of the wood smoke fire was nice too. When our pizzas came out I was concerned as they were the thinnest crust I have ever seen and the edges were burnt but I must say they were really tasty. My friends who had the fish said it was really good too. We had flan for desert and it was very good too.

HI!

It was a pleasure to serve you, our artisanal pizza is always cooked with love and care for the taste of our guests, We are pleased to hear that she loved it all. Hopefully they can visit us again.

Regards

Reviewed October 29, 2013

After hearing rave reviews from my foodie friends, I finally had the opportunity to dine at Guisandero. In the cozy covered outdoor setting that used to be Desertu, Chef Alejandro Aran from Mexico City, has re-opened this popular spot with something delicious on the menu for everybody. Judging from everything I've heard and now experienced for myself, looks like Guisandero is well on its way towards being a new favorite eating destination in Todos Santos.
Alejandro has some roots in Vera Cruz as well, and the menu reflects an interesting melding of flavors from various regions of Mexico, with a bit of Italian influence thrown in.
For starters, there's a traditional "Chilpachol" crab soup, which one rarely sees around here, as well as a hearty Genovesa vegetable soup. Next course offerings included Baked Cheese, which I loved with wild “epazote” leaves, extra virgin olive oil, freshly ground pepper and “salsa molcajeteada", a great ceviche big enough to share, an octopus stew, as well as grilled veggies. I also shared a Greek salad..but it was hard to choose which one to order between that and the Caprese or the organic Arugula with hibiscus flower vinaigrette, goat cheese and roasted seeds.
There are pastas and a risotto, too...and a simple but perfect selection of main courses....fish prepared 3 different ways....grilled with garlic, “Talla” style with Adobo guajillo beans and pickled red onions, or “Veracruzana” style, preparead with peppers, tomato, white wine, capers, olives and red rice. The beef dish is a grilled Arrachera, with salsa molcajeteada”, radish vinaigrette, grilled onion and guacamole.
There's a wonderful pizza oven built by past owners, so there's a secholection of 12 different pizzas to choose from, too!
Thought went into the desserts as well....chocolate cake, homemade flan, a Semifreddo of nuts, and lemon with sherry sabayon...and of course ice cream and sorbet.
The prices are very reasonable, ranging from $80p for the baked cheese, to the most expensive dish, Arrachera at $195p. There's a simple wine list and they also make cocktails!
I believe Chef Alejandro and his happy staff have hit the right combination of fine food at affordable prices in an inviting setting, encouraging open and fun conversations between patrons, with great service. Definitely a place for both locals and tourists to enjoy.