“Perfect Anniversary”

Hacienda Cerritos Boutique Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Todos Santos B&B and Inns
“Perfect Anniversary”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I'm not really sure what everyone is talking about. I did not get an honeymoon so after 15 years of marriage, I finally got one and it was magical. Since my husband and I are not college kids looking to party like a sorority/frat college kid we opted to not go to Cabo. Furthermore, we opted to stay away from the monstrosities that are the all-inclusive (which some remind me of cattle cars trying to put as many people in the resort as possible--personal opinion of course---some people like that) but for my anniversary I just wanted to reconnect with my husband--especially after 2 children and hardships created by the initial wave of the recession.

The Hacienda offered everything we wanted---it was far enough away from Cabo to be perfect for us to reconnect and yet close enough to run to Costco/Walmart if we needed something. We did go to Cabo one night for fun but the majority of the time we spent at the Hacienda. We were greeted by Gregorio when we arrived and he took us to the bar while Arturo made sure our room was ready. After a 6 hour+ plane ride, my husband and I were able to sit out in the pool area with a drink and just decompress. Gregorio chatted with us about everything and anything and made sure we were able to relax and have nice strong drinks.

Gregorio explained that the restaurants closed earlier then in Cabo just so we were aware of it and told us the restaurant was at the resort down the beach at the Surf Colony but we could always order room service (15% charge for this is a steal compared to other places that we've stayed at). Arturo showed us to our room and words cannot accurately describe how opulent and old world Mexico this place is. We really were not prepared for the enormous room that we were checked-in too. I asked if this was the honeymoon suite and Arturo told us that this is the standard size of the rooms at the Hacienda--my mouth dropped.

I love to take baths so when I went into the bathroom to see the size of the tub I almost cried--honestly. Ladies we all watch the movies/tv shows showing Meredith Grey and McDreamy both sitting in the bubble bath and we've never been able to do that as a couple--well my husband is 6'5 and I'm a tad cotton candy fluffy lol so it's not very easy. However, the Hacienda tubs were huge and we could both fit--you have no idea how romantic and reconnecting that is as a couple.

The entire room was over-the-top and romantic. I've read comments about how the pool was ice cold----my response is "They know they are in Mexico and not Alaska right?" The ocean is 85 degrees and frankly if it's 100 degrees out--I for one do NOT want to get into a heated pool. Perhaps its because I was a swimmer in high school and college so I'm used to cold water pools but the water was actually perfect for the climate that it's in.

We did not have ANY problems with either the water or the power--both were plenty and consistent. Okay, well I kept filling the bathtub up when the water started to cool so I did run it out--sorry other guests but I was with my honey in a bubble bath that fit both of us---really didn't want cold water ruining the moment ;).

The water is delivered by truck but considering that this place is off the grid it makes sense. The Hacienda is very similar to Mendocino County in California (which parts has no electrical lines, no telephone lines, and no city water) but I was able to chat with the water truck driver (trying to use my college Spanish---I failed miserably--bless the guy who smiled and put up with me butchering his native tongue) and he was explaining that the Hacienda gets its water from a local spring also used by the local farmers--I thought that was pretty cool.

The website states they turn the generators off between midnight and 6 am but it never happened while I was there but it's a cool way to help keep fossil fuels down--we never heard the generators either. Again, this is something that many on here are complaining about but if you read the resorts FAQ's it says it right there--why was it a shock to people I'm not sure but as I said, we never had a power issues while we were there.

We did travel to the Cerritos Beach Brewing company as my husband is an avid home-brewer and we tried the local pizza place as well but most of our time was spent in the resort. The owner happened to be there and on my actual anniversary a sweet little table for 2 was setup with the breakfast we had ordered and there was flowers from the local area---the table was setup with a breathtaking view of the sunrise. So those who are saying the owner doesn't care---are completely wrong. He was very sweet in making sure that my anniversary day was memorable and it was.

I think people need to remember that you are going to a Third World Country and that even Cabo has times when the power and water fluctuates on and off. It's not like staying in Las Vegas or other American cities--the resort and it's sister resort down the beach are off-the-grid eco-friendly and this may not work for everyone but I suggest you research that before you book. Some, like myself and my husband, wanted a quiet place to reconnect and not have the stress of modern technology. It was sooooo nice to not have a phone in the room or cable television where you could just ignore each other. That is why we specifically chose this resort. We rented a movie a few times we were there but for us it was just the beauty of everything and the quiet disconnect from our hectic and busy lives that made us decide to go here.

Pros:
--absolutely breathtaking views
--over the top beautiful rooms and resorts that truly mixes old world Hacienda style with opulence
--off-the-grid and eco-conscious (being Green is good--if every hotel/resort was like Cabo or Vegas--then that wouldn't be a good thing--fossil fuel wise)
--Only safe place to swim/surf on Cerritos Beach
--Infinity pool at sunset---9th wonder of the world
--Gregorio and Nickie---amazing staff that really do whatever they can to make your stay special and memorable
--bathroom (okay TUBS---If I could have taken one home with me--i'd have paid the baggage fee lol

Cons
--internet access can sometimes be spotty (but we didn't really have time to use it)
--bruises from surfing (okay this isn't the resorts fault but the movies make surfing look so easy--be prepared for your face to smack the board at every swell and the triangle of bruises (forehead, nose and chin) that you will get from it lol.

Overall, my anniversary was more then I could have imagined and I am thankful to the staff for making it special and romantic. I am excited to go back with my boys and stay in the villas they have but I'll keep the Hacienda my honey and I's little retreat. We plan on going back there every year on our anniversary to reconnect.

Thanks to the staff for helping me find the man I married 15 years ago!! You never realize how disconnected you get with all the ritual of living your lives until you go somewhere that makes/allows you to just concentrate on each other <3

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank em-foreverangel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 5, 2013

If you love the sun and surf you will love this hotel. Its small, quaint, and sooooo relaxing .Beautifully designed but still comfortable. Many things to do for the sports type. I went fishing, hiking & horseback riding. I also just did some good ole R&R. If you need to have a little Art fix, a trip into the town of Toto Santos is very close and a piece of the old Mexico I remember in the 80"s. Really small amazing restaurants with interesting yummy food. Its also really close to Cabo San Lucas if you need to go into town for shopping and night life. I personally skipped that part as I enjoy just being with the sea, a book and a nice Mojito. I wish I could stay for another week!!
I will be a regular here!

Room Tip: Bungalow #2 is excellent and has its own private pool. Its on the Ne side.You can also rent out the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Pamela J
CerritosBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda Cerritos Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for choosing us as your vacation destination, we are so please that you enjoyed relaxing while at our resort and exploring the fun & artistic own of Todos Santos. We would be more then happy to arrange another stay for you anytime, we have some great deals going on right now!
Ft Worth, TX
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We spent 5 days / 4 nights at Hacienda Cerritos Memorial week. The hotel is quite impressive upon arrival. Set up on the cliff over Cerritos Beach. From all the reviews we were a bit worried about the condition of the place. Our worries were confirmed. The building site, view setting are amazing. Each sunset was breath taking. The size of the room was outstanding and more than we expected, but the furnishings were sparse at best. The sitting room had 3 leather bound chairs, all of which were worn, and uncomfortable at best. The bed was very worn and hard, the sheets were bleached or stained, couldn't decide which. Arturo who we met upon our arrival was very nice, however when we asked him if we could get the hot tub working that was off our room, he said no problem first thing in the morning. Morning came and went and we returned to a cold tub. Very disappointing. Greg the only other person we met there was a gracious and happy person. He greeted us on our first day with a smile and even offered to allow us to use his phone to make a call to the states at one point. We spent very little time at the hotel. The pool was ice cold, much to our dismay, as was the climate while we were there. Locals said it was a bit unusual, but nothing anyone could do about it. Overall the views are stunning, the beach is nice, the property COULD be one of a kind, but its not. It's unkept, in disrepair, and unloved and a shame. We would certainly come back for the view alone, but with the building in such shape we doubt it would be there on our next visit.

Room Tip: We had bungalow 4 which allowed us to watch the sunset nightly. AMAZING!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Scott I
CerritosBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda Cerritos Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
First off, thank you so much for choosing The Hacienda Cerritos Resort for your vacation. We appreciate you taking the time to give us valuable feedback that can lead to future improvements. Enjoying the sweeping views of Cerritos Beach atop the cliffs, really is what sets our resort apart from any other! We're happy you enjoyed the location of our property.

Our aim is to provide the finest possible accommodations and service for every single guest that visits our resort. We are currently restructuring our management team and are very enthusiastic for the new developments in customer service that we will be implementing. The lack of communication that was shown on your visit will be corrected.

Please let me know if you have any questions moving forward and we do hope you consider us for a future stay. Our soon-to-be enhanced team would love to mend your views and elevate your perspective on our beautiful resort.
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Like many others who have visited, this is a first class hotel that is so close to being a first class resort but the owner obviously does not care if it is nice and is only interested in keeping in booked. Very nice accomodations but the first thing we noticed was the towels and linens did not appear to be very clean. We arrived at 7pm and our room was not ready yet and needed to prepare it which probably meant they just made the bed. The first night at 1am the entire resort went black (power out) and it came back on at 6am. Would have been nice if the resort told us that they turn off the power every night to save money. We were told the next day that this is normal. Also we had one day where we had no water for an hour until we told somebody and then when it was turned on we had no hot water. At that point we were told "you just need to turn your shower on for 5 minutes and let it run, then it will warm up". Also something that would have been nice to know before this occured. There are no services at the resort and the bar on the beach is WAY overpriced. More expensive than most resorts in Cabo and apparantly are under new ownership with a new manager who recently jacked up the prices because "Americans will pay anything". We had been to Cerritos many times and always wanted to stay at the Hacienda and even though we were prepared for less than great accomodations we were still highly disappointed by the lack of care.

Room Tip: Choose a lower flower where you will get hot water but all rooms are nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jamesp500
Thank you for taking the time to express your views and provide us with your experience while staying at our resort. We welcome any constructive criticisms that can lead to improvement in our future guests satisfaction. We expect top-notch service for anyone who walks through our doors and want to provide the best accommodations in all of Todos Santos!

Please except our sincere apology for the mishaps of your stay. Our new management team is working on solutions so we can assure to better serve each and every guest that stays at our resort.

Again, we greatly appreciate your feedback. Please be assured that we are restructuring the operation of our communications and are 100% confident that another visit by you would lead to a positive outcome.
Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We asked if we could spend the day using the pool and were told that for $20ea we could stay all day. We did just that and it was a wonderful afternoon. That said, we didn't stay in the rooms but have seen them before and have toured the hotel a few times. The reviews here are spot on. It's a beautiful place with loads of potential, but is getting run down quickly. If you go with the right mindset, you'll be fine, but don't expect 5 day service or amenities and certainly don't pay rack rates. If you can get it for under $125 or less per night, it would be worth staying here. If nothing else, grab some snacks in town and head to the whale watching bar and pool for the afternoon. You'll be glad you did.

Note: After we paid $80 for the 4 of us to spend the day at the pool, we learned that others weren't staying their either and weren't asked to pay when they hung out all day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for four days in May on a package deal. For the price we paid it was a good deal. I would never pay their website room rates and they are not worth it, though I'm pretty sure no one does. The previous reviews for Cerritos are very accurate. Beautiful building, big rooms, stunning views but getting run down. This may not be a place for people who like all inclusives or first timers to travel. I personally loved it. I loved the quiet and lack of people around. I enjoyed going into Todos Santos. Or heading to the beach to watch the surfers. My biggest complaint that no one else has mentioned was that after we bought our groceries and got ready to make dinner we found out that some guests had hired a private chef. Great for them but the chef takes over the entire kitchen. We packed everything up to the second floor bar kitchen but there are basically no supplies up there. It was like camping! Luckily we had wine and gorgeous views to make it fun. This happened three nights in a row! There should be a sign up sheet in the kitchen to book times. I would still stay here again and hope too soon!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Michelle W
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I won't waste more of your time reading the same thing you have read prior to my review but I will sum it up in bullets for you.

1. Beautiful property with amazing detail to design but whomever owns it definitely doesn't really care about the property as the details as they relate to small things such as cracks in tile, chairs being a bit worn, etc is obvious.
2. Arturo is AMAZING!!!! Will take care of anything within his power that you need during your stay.
3. Very clean and the cleaning staff is on top of it all.
4. No, not everything is perfect I.E. Pool is cold, oven doesn't work (but really are you going to cook a 5 course roast dinner) stove top does work and all other appliances also work.
5. Water is brought in by large tank trucks so yes, you may end up without water for a few hours (we never experienced this but saw the trucks coming in every few days)
6. No ITS NOT THE RITZ- you do not have a restaurant on site (and in my opinion the one on the beach is overpriced and only moderately good) and you don't have the luxury of going to the boutique store for band aids BUT you are minutes from town and that was fine for us.

In a nut shell think it like you are renting a house but instead you are renting a room in a beautiful mansion you share with others. If you get it on one of those deals, it is absolutely worth it. I can't imagine the owner would ever get full price. It is in no way worth their full price even with all it's beauty.

Enjoy! and say Hi to the two little kitties ( they love attention)

Room Tip: Southside rooms are the best (in March at least)- we could sit out on our patio all day. Northside r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank emmah2odog
CerritosBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda Cerritos Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
We appreciate your review on our resort and do value your contribution. Constructive reviews help to make our resort the best it can be. We are happy that you feel satisfied with your overall experience, and thank you for clearly stating your opinions. Being in such an "off the grid" location supplies much needed privacy, but also a few obstacles that we are fighting to overcome. Thank you for your understanding and support. We will be sure and relay your appreciation to Arturo!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Todos Santos
#2 of 9 in Todos Santos
Cerritos Beach Inn
Cerritos Beach Inn
#1 of 9 in El Pescadero

Been to Hacienda Cerritos Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!