“fabulous a gem of a find”
Review of Villa Santa Cruz

Villa Santa Cruz
Ranked #1 of 17 Todos Santos B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“fabulous a gem of a find”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

we were just at this fabulous villa and want everyone to know what an amazing place this villa is. I highly highly recommend it and love it so much I am trying to work out another time to visit. Jessica and matt are wonderful attentive and caring hosts who love what they do. The place itself is magical both is location and how it is renovated is gorgeous. MY kids had a wonderful time running around the villa and we felt truly welcome. I saw a few other places around todos santos and this place is in a league of its own. IT is personal, beautiful and well run....a gem of a find. You will not regret staying here that is for sure. Thanks jessica and matt for this beautiful gift
marisa wolf katya and bj

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 25, 2011

We were just walking on the beach and stopped in to check it out....... and WOW!!!! one of the most beautiful boutique hotels on the planet. Some of the best interior and exterior design I've ever seen. Can't wait to book my room next year!

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 10, 2011

My friend and I have just returned from what was supposed to be a one night stay at Villa Santa Cruz, but quickly turned into a two night stay as soon as we arrived (and would have been longer still if we'd been able to extend any further). The property itself is stunning, and the grounds and scenery it lies in are breathtaking!! Jessica and Matt were fantastic hosts and extremely accommodating to both our request to stay an extra night and our later than hoped for order for dinner! You feel really looked after as well as totally left to your own privacy which is a tough balance to strike in such an intimate setting. My only complaint would be it's very difficult to decide where to watch the beautiful Todos Santos sunset from...roof top terrace, bedroom balcony or the crows' nest on the beach...a champagne problem some might say! I cannot wait to return to Villa Santa Cruz, thanks to Jessica and Matt and I really look forward to seeing how big Owen is next time I come!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed September 25, 2011

My husband and I held our wedding celebration at Villa Santa Cruz. Everything was perfect! The house and the grounds are absolutely beautiful and were ideal for our intimate party (35 people). We held the ceremony on the dunes overlooking the ocean, dinner on the lawn then brought the entire party to the palapa and the beach to enjoy a fantastic sunset over the Pacific ocean. The evening was a success not just because of the beautiful location but because of our phenomenal hosts. Matt and Jessica made sure that the whole party ran smoothly. They helped us connect with Landi who created a fantastic traditional meal for our guests, Tolin, a classical guitarist to set the mood and facilitated ordering and delivery of rentals. The day of the party, they made sure that all the details came together seamlessly and provided some of their excellent tequila aged on the property for our toast.
Our family spent two days before the wedding at the villa we had people ranging in age from 2-68. Between the pool, the ocean and wonderful places in the house for relaxing, everyone was comfortable and entertained during our stay.
Matt and Jessica have a keen eye for detail and a very welcoming disposition, the villa is fantastically decorated and both luxurious and inviting. Whether your looking for a place to hold a gathering of family and friends or a quiet getaway Villa Santa Cruz is perfect.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Culver City, California
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Villa Santa Cruz for the last four days of our honeymoon and they were pure magic. Had there been full occupancy when we stayed, we would have had plenty of space and privacy, but as it turned out we had the villa to ourselves. It honestly felt like we were residing in our own private castle. Our suite alone had two balconies, one which looked over the gardens, beach and Pacific, and another that looked over the pool attached to our room. The pool was large with plenty of room to swim laps, or for those of us who are kids at heart, spend the day in play. (My husband and I enjoyed a couple hours of raft racing.) Just beyond the pool there was a path that lead up to a large palapa on the beach. We basked several hours in the two hammocks just staring out at the beauty in front of us. We also climbed the spiral staircase up to the palapa's crow's nest which gave an awesome panoramic view of the sea. The crowning jewels for the Villa however are it's owners, Matt,Jessica, and John. Each morning Matt and Jessica would be at the Villa preparing amazing coffee and breakfasts, and then indulge us with sumptuous lunches in the afternoon. Among the menu items were breakfast burritos, Mexican quiche, and fish tacos. While Jessica prepared breakfast, Matt would squeeze fresh oranges for morning juice, or prepare exquisite and dangerously delicious margaritas, you really can't have just one. All natural fresh squeezed juices went into those margaritas, and your stay includes a welcome one. All three hosts were resourceful when it came to recommendations for local restaurants, and extremely helpful in coordinating activities such as snorkeling in the Sea of Cortez, and arranging massage treatments at the Villa. Every feature, from the breathtaking landscape, the artfully crafted decor of the Villa, and the warm energy of the hosts made us take pause in appreciation of the beauty around us and in the Villa itself.

Room Tip: If possible, stay in one of the master suites, these overlook the Pacific, & make a trip up to t...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 15, 2011

I've traveled extensively throughout Asia, Latin America and Europe and have stayed in a number of small, family-owned properties and Villa Santa Cruz was by far the best experience I've ever had. After a 4-night stay, I left relaxed and re-charged and that I'd made good friends in Matt and Jessica the villas owners.

My friend and I spent almost every evening with Matt and Jessica talking about the villa, from its humble beginnings when Matt bought the land 10 years ago. Today, there are four very well appointed suites, a beautiful entry level are with a gourmet kitchen, living room and a dining room with a lovely view of the beach. The kicker is the rooftop deck with sweeping views of the Pacific and absolutely no large hotels or buildings in sight. It's what you dream of when you plan a trip to Mexico: authentic, undisturbed and relaxing.

Matt and Jessica have built the villa from the ground up with an eye towards comfort and sustainability. The property is off the grid and runs primarily on solar which I appreciated. They grow their own agave which is used to make their own Mexcal. They keep bees and grow rosemary and sage. And the property is immaculate: the grounds are well groomed, the villa is spotless and the pool is just perfect.

We ate at least two meais a day at the Villa, both were prepared with care in the kitchen using fresh local ingredients. Jessica and Matt are quite the chefs!

During the day, we lazed by the pool, took long walks on the beach and ventured into town. Todos has been designated a "Pueblo Magico" which essentially means that the Mexican government is investing significant money to ensure that, unlike other popular and emerging travel destinations in the country, the original architecture, the customs and traditions not lost. They are improving the roads and general town infrastructure, preserving notable buildings and regulating development which is not in keeping with the Pueblo Magico mission. I really appreciated knowing that if I don't make it back to Todos in the next 5-10 years that it won't look like a shadow of its formal self.

Back to the Villa, I would highly recommend it. After hearing all the stories about how the villa has been built and experiencing how its run day-to-day, this will be my go-t spot whenever I visit Baja.

If you're looking for something that's within walking distance to Todos, the Villa may be out of your range. Keep in mind that Todos is a few miles inland, so we preferred to be on the beach, off the beaten path a bit, as opposed to having to drive to the beach every day.

The 4 suites are on one level, so the villa would also be great for a family outing, a getaway for a group of couples or a for a friends getaway. I wouldn't hesitate to book just a suite again knowing that there may be other guests there as I like the opportunity to meet new people in a familial environment.

If you're on the fence, do it, you won't regret experiencing Mexico at its finest! As about the hike at the abandoned cannery. We didn't see another sole (unless you count the seals) during our 2-hour trek.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ThrockstarSF
mill valley
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Villa Santa Cruz was a true treat and a total surprise. I went not knowing anything about it and was so happy to find that I was in very good hands. Jessica and Matt took SUCH good care of us, from Jessica's incredible food every morning and afternoon, to Matt's prompt coffee service (warm milk and all), to both of their suggestions of where to go and what to see, to their warm conversation and general love of everything Todos. The pool was SO nice and they were always very happy to turn on the hot tub. It is such a perfect place for families, couples, friends, anything really. There is much to see and activities to do, from hiking to long walks on the beach, to the great surf break just outside the house. The dogs are all so friendly and well behaved. The restaurant recommendations were spot on. The food in Todos was excellent. Matt and Jessica were the best part of the experience, so warm and smart and I hope to see them again sometime soon. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple