“Stylish, laid-back, gorgeous pool and delicious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Todos Santos
A TripAdvisor Member
“Stylish, laid-back, gorgeous pool and delicious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2006

Debbie and Alejandro made our visit to Todos Santos absolutely perfect. We were there with friends who were hesitant about going somewhere 'off the beaten path' in Mexico but were totally converted. Dany, the Belgian chef, is absolutely charming and very talented. The aesthetic of the place is stylish but not too gringo, and the hotel has all kinds of lovely semi-private places to hang out, including a card room, outdoor living rooms, small patios, etc.

• Stayed May 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2005

After five or six day trips to Todos Santos we decided to stay a few days. One of those days was overnight at the Hotel California. We first visited the Hotel California in 1997 when it was a run down place with an iconic name. A year ago we stopped there for lunch. Little did we know how much more there was behind the gates. Most visitors make a day trip to Todos Santos to visit the art galleries and shops and catch some food or refreshments (Art and Beer at kilometer 69 just south of Cerritos Beach is a must do on the way). They go back to Cabo with a generally favourable opinion. What they don't see is how much more there is to Todos Santos and the world of gardens, fountains, courtyards and alcoves behind some of its walls.
Our room at the Hotel California was furnished with a an interior decorator's eye for color and detail and had an authentic Mexican feel. It looked out onto a twenty by thirty foot deck which overlooked the town and the Pacific Ocean in the distance. The sunset and stars at night from this deck were just beautiful. Below the deck is an outside restaurant/courtyard. A live band played Friday night until about 10:30. You could go down and join the guests or party with them from your own balcony above. Sleep wasn't a problem. After the band finished we just shut the patio doors and fell into all the pillows. During the day bubbling fountains muffle any traffic noise outside.

This is a fun and pleasant place to stay and one day isn't enough to fully enjoy what's there. The expression "living it up in the Hotel California" is much more than words to a song. Stay awhile, you may never want to leave.

• Stayed November 2005
9 Thank sunrise
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2005

We stayed here Oct. 15th, 16th 2005.
We arrived around 9:30pm at night (after traveling all the way from NY to Cabo and drove to Todos Santos) to discover they did not have our room reservation. I had a print out of a confirmation from the owner. They ended up offering a nicer room for the price of the room were were supposed to get ($25 price difference).

The hotel is very funky and something to see. Very cool and interesting decor. The pool is tiny but very pretty (water could be cleaner). The room was very cool- a cprnerroom with a huge private terrace. It was room #14. There was no hot water (not even warm water) the whole time we were there until my last shower the morning we checked out. They claimed there was something wrong with the water heater for that room only. Opt for the rooms that face the ocean side. They are more money but look much nicer than the cheaper rooms. It is worth the $.

Restaurant is pretty at night. Food there was so-so. They had a band playing 70's covers. One night the band was very loud as the rooms look over the courtyard. We were so exhausted from traveling so it did not matter. But some people who not be happy with it.

The hotel charged my husband for a call to Cabo San Lucus to our hotel. They actually timed it with a stopwatch. Personally, since we had to take cold showers the whole time (not warm but COLD) I think they could have thrown in the phone call for free (no phones in rooms & no TVs). The owner Debbie was not the warmest. When I told her we did not have hot water onon first day she goes on to tell me a story about how she was in Houston recently and people in Mexico just don't get hot water like they do in the states. I thought it was odd. The water was COLD.

Tequila bar was cool- sort of funky/trendy.

Best food was at Todos Santos Caffe up the hill-everything homemade. Town is cute. One day and one night is all it takes to do the town. The drive up from Cabo is beautiful and that alone is worth the trip. Stop at the bar, Beer & Art, on the way. Great tequilia and unusual rustic setting.

Stay at the Todos Santos Inn if they have room. It is very cute but upscale and european. Rooms have nice high ceilings. Pool is small but clean and very nice. They seemed very nice there. A wine bar and very peaceful.

Stayed October 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2004

My husband and I stumbled upon the Hotel California on our honeymoon. We were married in San Jose Del Cabo and decided to take a trip up to Todos Santos to check it out. When we arrived we were wandering around looking for a place to stay when I found myself in the lobby of Hotel California.

Upon first look of the place it seemed right up our alley. The hotel happended to have one room left which we snatched up right away. After seeing everything the place had to offer, we decided to stay a few more days!

Debbie and John have done an absolutely fantastic job of the place. The decor, ambiance, and everything were amazing. From the rooms, to the lounge areas, pool, views, and food, everything was fantastic, we really couldn't say enough about it. All the staff treated us extremely well in every area of the hotel. They've really got a great thing going...I hope it always remains the same.

We both look forward to returning one day - it remains a very special place in both of our hearts.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2004

This was undoubtedly the most amazing hotel I have ever stayed! My husband and I left Cabo San lucas for a day trip so he could surf at the local Los Cerritos surfing spot. We drove into Todos Santos and had a wonderful meal at Los Adobes (amazing, a perfect Mexican restaurant!) Then we strolled the town and went inside to the Hotel California, and we almost died! It was right out of Mexican Fairy Tale but even cooler!
Artwork is displayed prominantly thoughout (from local artists), the walls are painted vibrant and deep colors, the restaurant and bar have and adjoining courtyard full of bouganvilla a fountain with lilly pads and more sculpture on display. We deciced that we must return and spend the night, it was even more than we could imagine. Our perfectly decorated room looked out over the town and ocean with a deck of the same size. We took a dip in the pool, which actually resembles a giant blue mosaic tile bathtub surrounded by flowers. We watched sunset from our balcony as it literally dropped in the ocean. Had wonderful dinner and great margaritas and marvelled at how amzing the hotel looked lit by candelight. Everyone was so friendly and repected your privacy too.
At last, we awoke and had to return to Cabo, very sad but vowing to return again for a longer period of time. ( I would reccomend going to Cabo then staying at The Hotel California for a few nights)

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2004

We recently stayed at the Hotel California during our friends' wedding and had a wonderful time. The hotel is beautiful and our room was perfect. I think that it was all of the little details of the hotel that amazed me the most. At night, the whole hotel is lit by candle light casting shadows on all of the brightly colored walls. The restaurant had excellent food and the people that worked there were all a joy to deal with. We could not have had a better time. One of my best trips yet!!!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2004

Hotel California......where do I begin.....

My husband and I had the most amazing wedding in Todos Santos at The
Hotel California on February 21st, 2004 with 45 of our closest family
and friends. There is not enough time to even begin to elaborate on the
hotel itself, the owners John and Debbie, the food, the town and most
of all the hospitality. Not only is this a beautiful hotel, but the
feeling you have when it is time to leave is just overwelming. We came
as strangers and left as family. Anthony and I have stayed at many
hotels and resorts but none of them compare to Hotel California. They
catered to us and our guests like we were royalty.

The food...OUTSTANDING!! Dany, the chef, has an amazing menu from
selection, presentation, to taste and the prices are just robbery! Not
on their part - ours. It is amazing how little they charge for such a
wonderful meal! We honeymooned in Cabo San Lucas and not one of our
meals compared to the ones we had at Hotel California. I have to say to
anyone staying or passing by....If you like french toast -- they have
the absolute world's best french toast!!! I had it every morning for a
week!! If I wanted to try something else on the menu, I still had to
have it on the side.

The bar....so fun, great music, terrific atmosphere, awesome drinks and
the bartenders are Top Notch!! All of their fruit drinks are made from
fresh fruit! There is not a Strawberry Daquari that could ever touch
theirs. And...they are definitely not stingy with the liquor...so our
guests say. :) You must try their specialty drink..."The Cadillac"

The rooms....we had the whole hotel rented for our wedding, so I was
able to see each room. Not one is like another. They are so tastefully
decorated with complete comfort. The views from the rooms are
gorgeous!! We were in the two story suite and it has a huge terrace
decorated with tropical plants, cacti, lounge furniture and overlooks
the whole town, mountains and ocean. The first thing I saw every
morning out the french doors in front of our bed was the most amazing
sunrise imaginable!! And the sound of roosters never sounded so nice.
John Stewart and his wife, Debbie, have made this an amazing place to
come to with family and/or friends....you adapt to the Mexico ways
immediately without thought. This is truly a magical place.

The store....they have the most unique store in the hotel. We found
some wonderful gifts!! Make sure you take a few minutes to walk
through. I guarantee you will have to take a piece of Todos Santos home
with you.

Hotel ambiance.....there are no words to describe the hotel's ambiance.
It is so amazing how it changes from day to night. The entire hotel is
lit up by candlelight at night. In the week we stayed, every time we
looked around we found something new we had missed before. I cannot
imagine the time and thought that has went into the look of the hotel.
And it is constantly changing. Everything from the bright colored
walls, the antiques, the lighting, the art on the walls, the fresh
flowers, the music, the view and the over all character is just beyond
words!!

We were introduced to the town, and the hotel itself, by my Uncle John.
This is a man that has traveled the world and has so many life stories
he should have his own book. He has seen so many beautiful places and
he has chosen Todos Santos as his place of retirement. We will never be
able to repay him in any way for finding this magical place for our
special day.

For anyone considering to have a destination wedding.....I cannot
imagine you finding a more magical location. We fell in love with the
town and it's people. I believe I can speak for all of our friends and
family that were fortunate enough to visit the town and of course, The
Hotel California..."we all left a piece of us behind".

To John, Debbie, Alejandro, Barb, Dany, the whole staff at Hotel
California and especially my Uncle John ....Thank you for making our
wedding the most beautiful and amazing wedding! It was our dream
wedding and we have all of you to thank! We look at the pictures every
day with such fond memories of each and every one of you. We cannot
thank you enough.

~We will be back next year to celebrate our one year anniversary with you, our friends.

Heather and Anthony Sola