“Wish I could say something better”

Ristorante Tre Galline
Ranked #13 of 91 Restaurants in Todos Santos
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Concord, California
“Wish I could say something better”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I struggle with how to rate Tre Galline because "average" doesn't really describe it yet I can't bring myself to rate it any higher. We dined there for Valentine's Day and were disappointed to see they chose to offer a "special" menu. Which meant there wasn't nearly as much to choose from as we experienced previously. The dining room looked lovely, with fresh rose petals spread on the lavender linens in honor of the day. The lighting was way too bright, but we remedied that when we discovered we were seated next to the switch that controlled the downspots at each table.

We were seated promptly, given a basket of bread and presented with a small appetizer of a stuffed tomato. We had one copy of the special menu, placed on the table and had to ask for the wine list. Our server appeared to be wishing mightily that he could be someplace else. He gave us the wine list, took our orders, and promptly forgot all about us. After an increasingly long wait we finally flagged down the owner and pointed out that we had no wine, no water in our empty water glasses, no salad, "nada."

She did make sure we were then served but it really shouldn't have taken a complaint to get decent service, especially as the restaurant wasn't full and a group that entered after us were served much more promptly.

As to the food, the salad was uninspired but fresh. My husband's dish of gnocchi was "adequate but nothing special" and my choice of 3 types of ravioli was beautifully presented but only good, not exceptional. Creme brulee for dessert was good as was the wine by the glass, generously poured.

I know there's some difference of opinion of whether Tre Galline is over-priced and I'm afraid I have to come down on the "yes" side of that one. I think what tipped the scale is that we were charged 50 pesos (more than $4) for a 1 liter bottle of ordinary water for which we'd have paid maybe 12 pesos in any store in town. The bill for a dinner of a salad, 2 pasta dishes, one dessert, 2 glasses of wine and a bottle of water (including tax and a tip that was really more generous than the waiter earned) came to $85. So yeah, it's over-priced and there are other places in town that perhaps don't have the ambiance but offer good food and more reasonable prices.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank DevelopmentGal

Victoria
“Great food”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Dined here during the Music Festival and had a tremendous meal. The grilled lobster special on linguine at US$22 was god value and my wife's choice of sweet potato ravioli was sublime although uninspiring in its presentation ( though that was forgotten the moment I tried one!)

Price are upper end for Mexico but represent sold value when compared to home.

We would return!

Tucson, Arizona
“Amazing!”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have been to this restaurant 3 times so far everytime I visit my son who lives in El Pescadero. Each time I have been there their food has been excellent and the service top notch. Also had the chef/owner serve us with class and a smile. I do recommend this charming place.

McLean, Virginia
“Delightful and tasty”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We were a party of 5 and stopped by purely by accident. As we walked in, a group walked out and one person said to go ahead..the food was good and the people were so nice. And she was absolutely right. The chef/owner served us and recommended different dishes. Everyone enjoyed their meal and thought the food very tasty. We were given a scrumptious passion fruit sorbet to top it all off! The service was friendly and we even met the Chet's wife. Charming. It was pricey but worth it.

Hudson, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dont waste your time or money”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My Husband and I ate here in Nov of 2012. We were super excited to try it since everyone just raved about the food. The atmosphere and courtyard seating is nice but thats about it.... The food is absolutely awful and expensive too. My husband ordered a pasta Bolognese and I kid you not, this was nothing more than a microwaved beef-a-roni that looked like something out of a chef boyardee can. I ordered the spinach ravioli which was soggy and not ravioli. I definitely got served some type of frozen tortellini that they tried to pass as ravioli. The wine selection was weak and the caesar salad was bland. We were sitting close to the kitchen in the courtyard and we heard the microwave go off several times. Any kitchen with a microwave should not be calling themselves gourmet, or fresh and should definitely not charge those prices. Stick with Mexican cuisine while visiting this magical town. Hotel California is delicious, so it tequila sunrise and los Adobes has fantastic crepes for dessert.

• Visited November 2012