“delightful tranquil hideaway”

Los Colibris Casitas
Reviewed April 16, 2010

One week of our month touring the Baja was spent at Los Colibris. Bryan & Sergio are welcoming, friendly, accommodating hosts who respect the privacy of their guests yet are always there should you need any advice or help. The Chucha Casita was everything we needed for our stay. The bedroom was comfortable and spacious with large sliding glass doors opening onto a small patio that provided a wonderful view over the lagoon, long, sandy beach, and ocean - a great place to share a glass of wine while watching the sunsets. A real plus was the palapa upstairs that had a comfortable, private sitting area that too looked over the lagoon and ocean. Los Colibris is a short distance away from the quiet "artsy' town of Todos Santos - you can walk to town but having a car is probably preferable. In Todos Santos there is a nice blend of restaurants to choose from and some interesting galleries to explore. Bryan & Sergio also provide excursions that you can participate in. If you get the opportunity to go snorkeling with them, don't hesitate! We had a memorable experience snorkeling with whale sharks - a highlight of our trip.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 21, 2010

This was definitely one of the most enchanted spots that I have ever experienced--and as a biologist I have been to some interesting places. We only had time to stay 2 nights, but certainly hope to return. The bird-watching and hiking were fabulous. It was phenomenal to be a few feet from feeding hummingbirds, not just once, but again and again over the two days. And at times there were 5 hummers at one feeder at the same time.
The hospitality was wonderful, not only from the owner, but the lovely cats and dogs made us feel very much at home. If you are a nature lover, you won't regret staying here.

Reviewed March 14, 2010

We spent 4 nights here as a part of our honeymoon, and I have to say, they worked hard at making these days special for us! not only the owner himself, but the 4 dogs and 5 cats!! they all were great!
Flowers and champagne were waiting for us as we first got there, I still don´t know where they found red roses in the Mexican desert ???
The dogs would come every morning to say hi, and only stay longer if you wanted them to, they would otherwise go play or lay down somewhere else. ( we would normally let them be with us during breakfast ;-) )
The view for our terrace was fantastic and they even organized trips for every taste, I recommend swimming with the sea lions.
We definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2010

This was our second trip to stay in Mr. Bing's Place at Los Colibris, and I hope it's not our last. We had such a great, relaxing time in 2009, that my husband and I returned in 2010. My mother and her best friend stayed for 2 weeks this year on our recommendation and are already ready to book for next year.
After driving through Cabo, I can't imagine stopping there (too crowded, too touristy, too. . . well, Costco-y). It's a trek to get to Todos Santos and then out to Los Colibris, but once you get oriented, it's really the only place I'd want to be on the South end of Baja.
Last year, I sprained my ankle on the way to the airport, so I didn't really leave the front porch much. This year, I got to the beach, which is a beautiful walk, but at the end of the walk, I just wanted back up on the porch at Los Colibris. It is the most fantastic spot!
We saw whales and an unbelievable number of birds. We walked and read books and stared at the sea. We had fantastic food in Todos Santos, from simple (and cheap!) fish tacos to incredible wood-fired pizzas to high-brow Mexican meals.
Bryan and Sergio are the best hosts. I never felt intruded upon, but always felt well-cared for and felt comfortable asking for what we needed or for recommendations for food or shopping.
We didn't do any of the eco day trips, but instead chose to simply relax and soak in the sunshine and views. Knowing how sweet Sergio is though, I imagine his trips would be a blast.
We've chosen to do these trips without our 5 year old daughter (the parents do need to get away now and then!), but I think she'd do just fine in this environment. There's not a lot of everyday entertainment that most kids would be used to (t.v., pool, other kids!, etc), but the beach, the animals, and trips to town would keep a most kids happy. . . it certainly kept me happy!
I think it's worth pointing out that I am *not* a dog/cat person. There are a lot of dogs and cats around, but it never bugged me, they were not icky/dirty and they certainly never ended up inside our rooms (like one of the other reviewers mentioned). A quick "scoot" and they'd be on there way. I *did* have a blast watching a few of the dogs frolic on the beach when they followed us down one day.
This is an amazing spot. Once you've arrived, you just might not want to leave.

1  Thank RhubarbSky
Reviewed February 28, 2010

It'd be impossible to capture in just a few paragraphs how perfect Los Colibris was for my vacation in mid-February. As a solo woman traveler, I felt very safe and had all the amenities I would need---including wireless access so I could pretend I was still working an hour or so a day --- without it feeling unnecessarily luxurious like so many places in Cabo.

Every night, after watching the moon set on the ocean, I would turn in early and then got to hear the waves crashing all night. I was up early every morning---sometimes just before sunrise----so I could sit on the patio and watch the sun come up over the mountains to the east and slowly illuminate the desert below. Los Colibris is on a hillside----beautifully built so it doesn't stick out like something that shouldn't be there---so from my perch (usually on the rooftop veranda of my casita), I could see the full expanse of the palm oasis and, of course, the freshwater lagoon that attracts so many birds. I watched the Magnificent Frigatebirds soar and dive, oodles of brown pelicans coming in for their morning hang out session (and then in the afternoon the very hysterical flapping dance they do on the water---to wash off the salt water?), and kept my eyes peeled for whales blowing in the distance. I even saw a Peregrine Falcon cruise by one afternoon! It turned out not to be a great week for watching whales but I didn't mind one bit. I had so many birds to see----2 species of orioles, Gila woodpeckers, and of course the hummingbirds that would practically dive bomb my head as they flew over to the feeder hanging on my porch. The town of Todos Santos is quite charming, and I found great restaurants, nice shops and very kind people. But I couldn't bear to spend much time in town. I just wanted to get back to Los Colibris as fast as possible to take in more of the beauty that I was so blessed to witness for those 6 days. I also got to hang out with some wonderful people who were staying in the casita next door, visit with Sergio and Bryan about the incredible work they've done landscaping their garden with mostly native desert plants, and of course, hanging out with their 4 dogs and 5 cats. I loved how the doggies came to visit every morning to say hello and would often want to join me on my walk down to the lagoon and beach or up the hill into the desert. One of the highlights of my trip was getting to hike with Mauricio, my guide from Todos Santos Eco Adventures. I had not planned on doing any organized tours while on vacation, but lucky for me, Sergio told me upon check in that there was a guided Cliff Walk the next morning. Mauricio was the best guide I've ever had on any hike or nature excursion I've been on----and I've done a lot in the last 20 years! He is remarkably knowledgeable about the natural history of the area and is especially passionate about plants. His knowledge of their evolutionary history was downright fascinating as was his story telling about the history of Todos Santos. Next time, I'll book my hikes in advance so I'm sure not to miss the chance to hike with Mauricio!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank chicktraveler
Reviewed February 22, 2010

My husband and I spent an amazingly relaxing, quiet week in La Chucha Casita at Los Colibris the first week of February. We will definitely return! Our hosts greeted us warmly and were wonderfully welcoming, with great tips for our week ranging from restaurants to taco stands, to the best times to see whales from our private roof-top terrace. Our room was cozy and clean; the breakfast provided was tasty and fresh - the views of the lagoon and the ocean couldn't be beat! Los Colibris is located close enough to town for a quick 5 minute drive or 15-20 minute walk and is also a ten minute walk to miles of beach to explore. Todos Santos provided the opportunity to experience true Mexican culture and Los Colibris was our own private getaway. We enjoyed every moment of our time in Todos Santos and returned home already day-dreaming of our next visit!

Reviewed January 6, 2010

We can’t remember feeling so at home in a place as we did at Los Colibris. From the moment we arrived and saw the view, the terrace, and the sunny, colorful décor, we knew we had made the right choice. What a contrast from the miles of all-inclusive resorts that crowd the southern tip of the Baja peninsula! For independent travelers such as ourselves, Los Colibris offers all the things that we value in a holiday destination: easy access to nature and outdoor activities; friendly, unobtrusive hosts; non-stop views; walking or cycling distance to a town; proximity to the ocean; fresh air; availability of fresh local produce and seafood; and comfy places to lounge about and read. Everything else was a bonus. We were able to watch whales from the terrace and gaze at the frigate birds, and delight in the hummingbirds that were regular visitors to the feeders. Each night, the sunset seemed more spectacular. We enjoyed a cliff walk with Bryan and Sergio’s company, Todos Santos Eco Adventures. We consider our first visit there merely a reconnaissance mission for a more extended stay. We look forward to a return visit to hike in the nearby Sierra de la Laguna mountains, surf kayak at Los Cerritos, visit the local potters, and try more of the local restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple