“Beautiful Los Colibris Casitas”

Los Colibris Casitas
Reviewed November 15, 2012

If you want beautiful ocean views, quiet relaxing accomodations, exciting activities with exceptional guides, attentive hosts, and the authentic Mexican experience, then Los Colibris Casitas is the place for you.It is well worth the trip! Highly recommend it!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Los Colibris Casitas

Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is a charming, quiet, relaxing place to stay with beautiful rooms and absolutely STUNNING views, just as reported. My husband booked our stay here after researching hotels online and kept our final destination a secret from me. It was a truly wonderful surprise when we arrived, as it was so much more than I was expecting and the perfect place to return at the end of an active day in the Todos Santos area. Lounging by the pool in the late afternoon and then watching the amazing sunset from the La Chucha Casita rooftop is something we will never forget! Isabel and Sergio were wonderful and we thoroughly enjoyed the companionship of the dogs too. We're looking forward to returning as soon as we can!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Loved everything about this place. We stayed in La Chucha Casita and it was charming and lovely. Waking up to those views every day never got old. Sitting in the hot tub under the clear Baja sky never got old either and we did that almost every night. The dogs are great companions and they never got tired of helping us find our way to the beach. We did go to town for meals most evenings but being at Los Colibris was so enjoyable we didn't wander too far the rest of the time. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It was a great, relaxing, vacation in a beautiful location.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We had a stellar week in Todos Santos with Todos Santos Eco Adventures. The trip was perfectly planned and executed and my wife and I and our 2 teenage boys had one of our best family trips ever. The area is beautiful and all the activities are great fun - hiking, surfing, kayaking, horseback riding. One of the highlights for all of us was swimming with the sea lions - hard to describe how amazing that was. Our guide was Mauricio and he is part of what made the trip so great for us. He was a wealth of knowledge, also very fun and very patient, qualities we appreciated in equal measure. We stayed at Los Colibris Casitas and there couldn't be a more beautiful spot. The gardens and grounds are wonderful and the view is unbeatable. We stayed in Casa Colibris with the large movie screen and that was perfect for us. Sergio has created a place where you feel completely at home and well cared for. Five stars all around for guide, activities and accommodations. We will be back!

Room Tip: As a family we really enjoyed the movie room at Casa Colibris.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Nestled up against a hillside overlooking the pacific. Los Colibris is a very good value with wonderful hospitality. Isabel did her best to make sure myself, my girlfriend and our dog were more than comfortable. she even got us a taxi from our Hotel in to the city center and back to save us the difficult of figuring out the roads at night.
There was a meteor shower which was easily seen under the dim lights of Todos Santos. Enjoyed our stay, and especially the extremely beautiful view.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I had an amazing stay at Los Colibris. The property is beautiful. The view is breath taking. The family is wonderful; I say family because that is how I felt from the moment I first contacted them about coming to stay. Never once did I feel like I was at a resort or hotel. My time there was very peaceful, warm, and inviting. The road was dirt and adventurous, but part of the reason why I love Mexico is its realistic culture. Seeing how daily life is going on is so interesting to me, I love to fully embrace the culture as much as I can. Two things I would highly recommend to someone staying at Los Colibris is first, enjoy your early morning coffee on your rooftop terrace and gaze at the incredible water views, all of them- hot tub, pool, pond, and ocean. And I was lucky enough to be blessed with a rain storm as well!

Room Tip: Relax and enjoy your stay.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I just returned from a 2 night stay at Los Colibris. Before I start listing out any grievances, I have preface by saying the owners are genuinely lovely, helpful people who want to make sure their guests have a wonderful experience in Todos Santos. They are welcoming, hospitable, and I only wish them future success. That being said, there were some flaws at Los Colibris Casitas that I feel compelled to report on.

Firstly, the road leading to the property is pockmarked with gapping potholes. It’s unpaved, dirt road with some serious bumps and trenches. Granted, we came after a period of heavy rain which made the roads even worse. But we didn’t dare drive faster than 10km/hr in fear of blowing a tire. It is also not the easiest road to navigate, especially at night. To get to the hotel, you must follow the signs that lead to another hotel (Posada La Poza), and turn left at the end instead of right. If it weren't for the other hotel, I don't know how anyone would find this place.

Next is the insect problem. Again, we arrived shortly after a period of heavy rain, so that may have contributed to the number of bugs. But I could not sit outside on my terrace without being eaten alive by mosquitoes. The property is also surrounded by lots of foliage, so that may also be a factor. But, the scene in our kitchen at night can only be described as nightmarish. There was a light outside our private kitchen which is left on, and when we came back, the entire place was covered with moths and the floor was CRAWLING with beetles. There is a screen door which was closed, however it obviously proved useless.

The pool offers some spectacular views of Todos Santos. However, it is smaller that some other hotel pools. And when I was in it, I don’t think the filtration system was on because the surface of the water was peppered with dead insects. Also, the property’s dogs use the pool as their communal drinking bowl.

Speaking of the dogs, you had better like them if you stay here. The owners have taken in a number strays and cleaned them up. However they can be temperamental. One of them (who was abused by a previous owner) growled at me as I was sitting outside and I feel like I was about to be attacked. They also howl very loudly, very early in the morning.

The property has wifi. However you don’t get signal in your room. You have to go outside to the communal areas if you want a signal. Not the most ideal, especially if you are trying to do work and are constantly being bitten by mosquitoes.

On the plus side, the sunset view here is spectacular. The hosts are very accommodating. And overall, it’s affordable. Just weigh your options before booking.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Sergio J, Owner at Los Colibris Casitas, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us at Los Colibris and sharing your experience. Please note that we do have special, reduced rates in summer to reflect the special circumstances of Baja in the summer time. Your trip coincided with the torrential rains that finally broke 2 years of drought. Much needed, but clearly presenting challenges for all. Not only did it wreak havoc on the dirt roads that make up about 90% of the roads in Todos Santos, it also washed out sections of highway in parts of the peninsula. Rain in summertime in the desert does bring out the bugs. Most folks using that kitchen in summer just turn off the outside light so as not to attract them. Many also close the sliding glass doors to keep them out. We do regularly rescue dogs and cats and they are all sweet and loving. We're very sorry that your trip coincided with weather that created such uncomfortable conditions for you. We wish that you could see the upside that has now unfolded: the rains have retreated, the roads have recovered, the bugs are seeking more suitable climes, and a riot of color has broken out across the desert; beauty and tranquility once more reign throughout the land. The weather challenges you experienced mean that Los Colibris is more beautiful, more lush, more perfect for nature lovers seeking beauty and tranquility than ever before. We hope you can return to experience this side of our place for yourself some day.