“Amazing Food & Ambience”

La Corriente Cevicheria Nais
Ranked #19 of 589 Restaurants in Tijuana
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Mexicali, Mexico
“Amazing Food & Ambience”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Just tu clarify "corriente" does not translate to mean. "Corriente" means current as in sea current.
But its obvious someone needs some grammar classes.

I stumbled into this place by chance. Decided to have a quick taco and found myself there for hours sampling most of there dishes and that delicious Mezcal.

I agree with other reviews it is Kitschy decor (which I loved) made me feel I was in glamorous Acapulco during the 70's. I also agree that the service is excellent and the staff very very attentive.

I would not call it fancy at all !!! Id describe it as inviting.... its casual and with zero pretentions.

I highly recomend this place, its not your typical mexican sea food ...they have managed to create and innovate a new kind of seafood inspired from the local cuisine of the Baja California State. Very creative , bold and delicious dishes I had never seen anyone come up with.

Yes the Red Snapper is to die for. But there are plenty of other dishes I highly like and recommend :

Scallop Carpaccio is incredibly good ...thinly sliced scallop with a black citrus sauce.

"Jicama" taco .... its a taco made out of "jicama" with breaded shrimp and sauces.

Tostada ahogada ... cant even describe it cause my mouth is watering.

I could go on and on but I suggest you check it out if you have a chance, you will not regret it.

But I do have to mention how when you first get there, they treat you with an array of delicious "salsas" 3 hot sauces and 3 cold sauces all spicey with all different flavors. Its worth it to go just for the "salsas" alone. (salsas=sauces)

And yes its also a hotspot with great music and ambiance. Perfect for families , couples , groups or loners. Very good atmosphere!

Kudos for the guys at "La Corriente Cevicheria Nice"

• Visited February 2013

Tijuana, Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“worst experience EVER!”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I went to this Cevicheria "La Corriente" (e.g. "mean") because of some favorable reviews and apparentely good rating. How wrong!! The place is dirty and mean. Their famous "red snapper tostada" is small and of bad quality. Service is slow and waiters are of very unpleasant appearance. finally they swept through 3 different credit cards of mine motivating that becaise "they didnt come through" (my creduit cards are coming through perfectly well in other businesses in Tijuana and elsewhere before and after this "La corriente cevicheria" I asked about voucher to see they indeed didnt come through- waiter refuse to give me it, motivating - they dont have a voucher, just can see it on screen of terminal in the moment of sliding"?! Finally, they charged my card and I even wright down on voucher 10% of tip - just to be kind because of my first (and last) visit to this restaurant. When I revised my bank statement I found that they charged as much as three times amount of tip! Without my authorization! I will try to reverse this transaction, but will not be surprised if they falsify amount of tip on voucher - we will see. Anyway, I recommend to stay away from this "La corriente"- it is indued dirty, mean, and repugnant place. They are thieves as well. All the bad experience Tijuana can generously offer. STAY AWAY!!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank AND2720
Here, There & Everywhere
“Just go for the Red Snapper Tostadas, the rest is just forgettable”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Kitschy decor, very attentive staff, excellent service.

Now for the food, besides the Red Snapper (my only reason to come back), and maybe the tuna tostada the rest does not even deserve to be written in a review...

Sure it's fancy, it's hip, hey it's the happening place to be, but there's much better sea food choices in TJ.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Cris B
“It is all about the flavor and service and value.”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This place was recommended by a friend and I have been there twice and both times it was a pleasure to eat there. Not a typical Mexican menu. A large variety of wonderful seafood and the service I received was great. I plan to go again.

San Diego, CA
“Tuna aoli tosatadas are incredible!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

After a hard day working the wine press, went in for a late dinner with my son. Had a couple of tostadas, my son had the regular fish ceviche tostada, I had a tuna aoli and a snapper tostada, the review says it all.
Next time I crave some seafood in TJ I will go to this place. the atmosphere is nice, not your typical over the top noise banda music, but a more relaxed cross between sports bar and family restaurant.

• Visited October 2012