“Couldn't have had a more interesting, fun and yet humbling day :-)”
Review of Turista Libre

Turista Libre
Ranked #1 of 10 Tours in Tijuana
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I booked a 4 hour tour well in advance as I knew I wanted to visit Tijuana even though my husband was not too keen. I never wavered in wanting to go even when some people in America tried talking us out of it. These reviews do not lie. Derrick was an amazing tour guide with plentiful knowledge to share. I never felt unsafe and the fact he could speak the language so well made me feel even more at ease. He even got my husband to feel less worried. Seeing the border fence and the stories that go with the graffiti almost bought me to tears. If you have a chance to I highly recommend Derrick. You will not be disappointed nor be unsafe. I cannot wait to return someday!

1  Thank Shannii
There are newer reviews for Turista Libre

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I found Derriks tour amazing.Coming from New Zealand we were weary of what to expect out and about in TJ on our own.Derrik took us on a tour showing us some amazing sights, tasted some delicous food and we were able to change course on our planned day if something else of interest popped up which made the day really relaxed and laid back.We felt like we got to see TJ in a different light compared to other travellers like us.We felt completely safe and are so greatful we were able to have an amazing day that blew our expectations of the tour out of the water.We will definitely be back for another tour on our next trip and spread the word on how much fun it was. if you choose turista libre YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED !! 10/10!

2  Thank kateorade
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Two adults and two kids (ages 8 and 10) are in San Diego for a few weeks and we cant pass up the opportunity to visit another country since we are so close to Tijuana. We had already obtained passports for the kiddos in anticipation of our Mexico adventure, but the more we told local San Diegans about our plans, the more nervous we became. They were trying to talk us out of it. We had almost decided to not go to Tijuana when we stumbled across Turista Libre as a top attraction. They were booked up for the group tour on the day we originally wanted to go, but offered us a private tour the day before instead so we jumped on it. Best decision we could have made.

Our guide was Derrick and like others on here have said, he provided incredible customer service. I was not worried about our surroundings AT ALL the whole day....even in the more urban settings Derrick was always in control, and relaxed and friendly with the locals, speaking perfect Tijuana dialect Espanol. Not bad for a guy who claims to be from Ohio. (I didnt check his birth certificate...maybe Spanish really is his native tongue!)

My favorite parts of the tour were the birria tacos (thats goat meat by the way...delicious!), and the trip through the grocery store...like a Super WalMart but with Mexican foods and products that we had never seen before.

If you want to see the Tijuana we saw, which had no other Americans or tourists to be found, I suggest you book with Turista Libre. It was a safe, culture-rich experience and I will definitely go with them again.

2  Thank jacketfans
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Turista Libre and Derrik was great! We wanted to see a bit more of Tijuana than the normal tourist stuff and got in contact with Turista Libre and arranged for a private tour for 4 hours. Derrik has great knowledge of the town and is a very likeable guy. We are a family with three kids from age 3 to 15 and we all enjoyed the day. We had the best shrimp tacos ever and got much more of a feel of the city than if we'd gone by ourselfes. If you're going to Tijuana for a day, look no further!

2  Thank Ulf J
Reviewed July 16, 2013

When I was in my 20s a friend and I visited Tijuana. We walked across and fended for ourselves. Many years later, traveling with my wife and three kids, I didn't want that. I wanted someone to steer us clear of the headaches, the stress, the ripoffs and the potential danger. By the same token, I didn't want a big bus tour with its rigid schedule.

Enter Turista Libre. Derrik asked what we wanted to see and took us there. He had suggestions regarding where to shop, eat and sightsee. A fluent spanish speaker, he removed the language barrier, fended off undesirables, interacted with the kids as well as my wife and I, and educated us as to Tijuana history and culture. He even checked the border crossing count multiple times, so we could determine the best option for returning to the US.

This is the way to see Tijuana (and I imagine any other locale that Turista Libre visits).

3  Thank Jeff C