“To me...not such a good experience...”

Hotel Real del Rio Tijuana
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Tijuana
Mexico City
“To me...not such a good experience...”
Reviewed May 29, 2005

I have read the reviews on Tijuana hotels before booking. I was there with my girlfriend and had to stay 2 nights in Tijuana. Hotels seemed to be really expensive in the days we had to stay. Far more than the average prices mentioned. Based on the price and the critics we booked 2 nights in this Hotel Real Del Rio. But I must say it dissappointed me.

As we did not stay 2 nights in a row (we were there for business) we could try two rooms. One Queen (2 beds) and one King bed room. The rooms were okay. Nothing special though. No coffee machine in the room. Air conditioners are available but installed on the ground near the door. You know, those loud machines. Fortunately it was fresh in the night and we did not have to use these machines.

It was actually tiny things that bothered us. The shower that sprayed over the curtain so that the bathroom was filled with water. Toilet paper that was soaking wet when we arrived (somebody dropped it in the toilet the day before and hang it just like that ???) and the paper contained some red stuffs...no idea what that was...The point is, we asked 4 or 5 times (!!!) for new toilet paper. Calling to the reception, asking room cleaners, asking at reception until we got it...THAT bothers me.

Moreover there was no swimming pool and the breakfast is not included (about 8 USD per person for the buffet).

The Queen beds were extremely hard, the King was fine, but I am not going to stay in this hotel again...sorry.

Some positive points:
The parking garage (complimentary) is situated under the hotel and is locked in the night, that is a good point and the hotel is situated along the Paseo de los Heroes, which I consider a nice area in the zona rio.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
19 Thank Chicahuztli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Indiana
Reviewed May 20, 2005

By my standards, this is a 3-star hotel. It has excellent security and is very quiet. In addition, it is located in a very safe area of Tijuana with several excellent restaurants nearby.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank elephant1108
Reviewed April 18, 2005

Very nice high class hotel. Everyone there helped our party out completely. We were there for a wedding and there were 28 or more of us that stayed there. All of us liked it.

The only problem we had was the bartenders on Saturday afternoon were so slow we went somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 30, 2004

I have visit Tijuana for a few years but NEVER stay there until I visit hotel Real del Rio. I had to stay because I was tired and there was a long line at the border.

I was very concern at first because all the bad publicity on news and TV. I was amazed with the great service and the way they treat me since I arrive. I notice the cameras all over and security all the time. My family felt very secure and now I don't visit any other hotel but this one. They make me and my family feel very welcome.

It surely exceeded my expectations and I'll recommend it to everybody I know

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Corona, California
Reviewed November 1, 2004

My son and I went for treatment to our doctor in Tijuana, we choose Real del Rio after checking other hotels and visiting their web page. We expected a good hotel but our visit was superb!!! Exceeded all our expectations. The front desk personnel were friendly, polite and make us feel very welcome, the rooms were spotless and their overall service was great. I am recommending all of my friends that visit Tijuana not to stay anywhere else, Real del Rio is the best choice

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
7 Thank famatvh
Reviewed September 26, 2004

5 Stars are not enough to truly rate this hotel. The room was spotless, the staff was more than attentive. I was treated like a king. I cant imagine staying anywhere else. The food in the restaurant was great! Be sure to check out the restaurant next door, great food.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 18, 2004

All the people here is excellent, the hotel is very clean, the food is delicius... It's great!

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member