“Really appreciated the service”
Review of Aha! Restaurante

Aha! Restaurante
Ranked #253 of 577 Restaurants in Tijuana
Cuisines: International
Winnipeg
“Really appreciated the service”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

During a recent visit to Tijuana, we were taking a look at the shops on the second level of this mall. The head waiter came out and introduced himself and asked us if he could show us his restaurant. It really is a very nice place.

We returned later for dinner and they thanked us for returning. The restaurant was very quiet. We sat on the patio over-looking the pond with the koi fish.

Spanish and English menus were brought to our table. We ordered a steak and baked potato, which also came with grilled green onions and a jalapeno pepper and the tortilla soup. The steak was a little over cooked, but still tasted great. The soup was very flavourful; A tomato base with avocado, mozzarella, tortilla chips, bacon rinds and peppers.

The staff was very attentive. English was a little difficult, however the head waiter came by and ensured everything was ordered to our specifications. We had the pleasure of chatting with him after our meal.

We will be back to eat again.

Visited July 2014

San Diego, California
“I Miss the Former Chef”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Aha! Restaurante [dumb name] is located on the second level of the Galerias Hipodromo. There is valet parking in the first level of the garage, Sometimes they are speedy and efficient---other times, they are not. I suggest taking the back elevator to the second level, since the elevator closest to the valet stand is far too tiny for the crowds at that location, and the back elevator is usually empty. True, that back elevator takes you to the other side of the mall from the restaurant, but it might be only an extra two minute walk past some shops [such as Lacoste] that you will need to traverse. On my first visit to Aha about a year ago, I chatted with the former chef, Raul Torres Velasco, and since that visit, he would always come out of the open kitchen to greet me and personnaly take my order whenever he spotted me in the dining room. I liked that, and the chicken and steak were very good. The wine list was expanding and the service was always good. I also liked the changing colored lights in the ceiling. On my most recent visit, Raul was not there. I was advised he had opened his own place in East Tijuana---called La Cocina de Raul---I have yet to go there. When I learned that Raul was no longer at Aha, I decided to stay, and although the food and the service were still quite good, the magic had gone out for me with Raul's departure.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank CharlesCorreia
Tijuana, Mexico
“really mediocre”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

A lot of the food here is not great and poorly prepared. Place looks very nice but that's largely what it has going for it.

• Visited July 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Great drinks, good food”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is located near the Caliente Casino in the Galeries Hipodromo shopping complex, which has a Walmart, AppleBees, 3D movie theater and a bunch of little nice bars and restaurants, a visit to the mall is a worth a trip in itself if you are in the area (just up the road within walking distance from the Marriott Hotel). Aha! serves international cuisine which I would give a good 7/8 out of 10, the drinks are delicious, master mixologist Jeime makes all sorts of concoctions, ask him to surprise you with something new.

The restaurant has a nice balcony with heat lamps if you want to sit outside, or an uber cool modern interior (see photos). The only thing I didn't like were the projections on the walls, I got sick of having to watch Luis Miguel videos for two hours. Mostly an upscale young well dressed TJ crowd.

Go downstairs for yogurt for dessert! Overall a nice place for lunch or dinner, you will not find any tourists in here.

• Visited March 2012