“Impressive”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The restaurant is a bit off the beaten track of all of the other restaurants in the Zona Rio "gastronomic alley", but the architecture and design inside is definately ultra modern: high ceiling, concrete, wood, glass.
The food was equally modern. Appetizer of Cochinillo asado with masa crepes (they look almost like tortillas, but infineately mor delicate, in both texture and taste). WOW.
The parfait de callo- crisp, cool, creamy.
The pollo de leche, soft, tender, delicate.Hint of orange.
The atun sellado,: an excellent cut of super fresh tuna and seared with black pepper.
Dessert: the :texturas of chocolate" a sampling of several chocolate variations- crisp and chunky, a mousse like creamy gelatina. a cold and suave ice cream.
With dessert- coffee. Mexican cofffe is often boring, at best, and sometimes even in fine restaurants tastes l;ike instant. Mision 19 serves "Americano" in a French Press. (Almost never do you see outside a specialty coffee house a French Press coffee.) Makes Starbucks coffee seem sad by comaarison.
Overall: WOW. Very impressive. Some of the finest, most thoughtful and innovative food I have eaten in a long time.
Prices a little steep for Tijuana, but still 1/2 what you might see in San Diego.
Overall outstanding.

1  Thank David R

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Our anniversary dinner trip was a strong move on all fronts. We parked in San Ysidro and walked across the boarder and took a $5.00 cab ride to the restaurant - it was quick, easy, with no fuss. The restaurant is gorgeous. With wood beams, contemporary art and perfect lighting, it has been masterfully styled. We chose the 8 course chef's menu with wine pairings. Everything was divine. The only comment was the all of the pours of wine were big, and even in my drinking prime I could not finish 9 glasses, because we started off with a lovely glass to begin with. It was perhaps, too bold a move on our part. The food was lovely with nicely layered flavors.We enjoyed every course. Such a joy to have great food with amazing service. Our waiter was perfect, the whole front floor team worked well together. It is pricey, but worth it and we look forward to bringing family and friends with us the next time we come. Salud!

1  Thank Maria T
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This restaurant is within walking distance from the hotel we were staying at Tijuana. We had some finding it as it is in the first floor of a building, and there are no distinctive signs to direct you. Once we got there, I was surprised by the modern setting of the place. A fairly large "cava" with lots of different wines, and a wide range of prices.

Serving size is small but the taste is awesome.
We were a group of five friends, and they were very satisfied with their plates as well.

Highly recommend the place.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Returned to Mision 19 for the first time in over a year and must say I will not wait that long to return again.

Excellent meal all around. First, the setting is spectacular and gave me the feeling as though I were dining at a world class restaurant in NYC, Mexico City, or Sao Paulo.....very modern, industrial yet warm vibe with floor to ceiling windows and soft tones of wood. I started off the evening with their signature merengue scallop parfait while my friend ordered the pork tacos. Both were quite good and I could not get over the soft texture of the tortillas served with the tacos--which were accompanied with excellent sauces. We followed that up, and shared, an iceberg lettuce salad that was topped with a cotija cheese dressing (similar to, but not as overpowering as, blue cheese) and strips of bacon. This too was outstanding. The star of the show, though, were the steaks. I ordered a perfectly cooked bone in filet that is every bit as good as or better than the best steaks in San Diego (this would include Donovan's and Cowboy Star). My friend ordered the ribeye. Excellent flavor all around which was augmented with the delicious dijon sauce and accompanied with a choice of potato at no extra charge. I had a cold and did not have an opportunity to sample one of their outstanding Baja wines, but did have one of their strawberry/blackberry infused rum cocktails which was very delicious...the entire meal,including a generous tip came to just $55 per person--a true value for a meal of this caliber in a very upscale, yet unpretentious ambience.

The restaurant is located in a beautiful building, though I highly recommend you print out the map from the restaurant website as some taxi drivers may have a difficult time locating it (even though it is near the popular Hotel Lucerna). The menus are only printed in Spanish, but they do have English speaking assistance to guide you through your choices. If this restaurant were in San Diego it easily would be amongst the top 5.

1  Thank elchevere
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Had to beg for bread. No sides with entrees. Servers had trouble understanding wine order. Somewhat pricey.

2  Thank Peter F