“Safer Than you Think”

Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Tijuana
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Safer Than you Think”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Tijuana is safer than you might think given the stories we hear north of the border. The hotel is well situated and with easy access from the border crossing. The room was very nice, and far better than anything you'd find to on the U.S. side for the cost. There were quite a few gringos staying there, most for various medical purposes. The restaurant also relatively low cost. The staff was friendly and spoke flawless English. I did find the walls a little thin and was awakened by the guy in 729 getting it on at about 1:30 am. Bottom line, if going down for multiple days, it is better to stay in Tijuana than going back and forth across the border (which was my first consideration) Would definitely recommend Hotel Ticuan for your stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank John A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I am a native of Tijuana, but now live abroad. During the Christmas holidays my partner and I stayed here and it was a nice surprise. Traditionally "El Centro" in TJ was considered sketchy and a little dangerous, but in recent years has had a regeneration and is much better. And this hotel was genuinely good. Really clean and well decorated rooms. Nice big bathrooms. The standard I would expect in the US for a 4 star place. We didn't get to try to food in the restaurant, but my cousin told me their breakfasts were great. Wifi is included which was nice. The only problem we had was that on the morning we left they had a problem with the hot water. We called the reception at 8am and they said it would be back at 8:45am. We had to leave before then, so it was a little inconvenient, but not catastrophic.

One caveat. This place is still one block away from "La Sexta" (6th St), the street were most of the bars and clubs are, so late at night it will still be rowdy in the streets nearby. We had no issues and felt safe, but people should be aware that while "El Centro" is much safer and cleaner than it used to be, it's still a party place at night (after 11pm).

Room Tip: The first 3 floors are parking, so the 5th floor is the first with rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cuatez
TicuanLIVE, Gerente at Hotel Ticuan, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
In Hotel Ticuan we appreciate all kinds of reviews and we gladly thank you for taking a bit of your time to make this.
It's been really nice all your comments about Tijuana's downtown knowed as "El Centro", we are glad that all the effort to reassemble this part of the city it's working out so our visitors appreciate their travel to Tijuana. Part of downtown keeps being a party place that actually its safe to be in and a good place where to hang out.
Thank you for the review on Hotel Ticuán, its nice that you notice all our effort to make of your stay the best of it. We did had a situation on our hot water generator but we work as quickly as we can so you don't have an inconvenience because of it.
Thank you very much for your grades on our service and hope to see you again soon.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I had the good fortune to be referred by my dentist in Tijuana to the Hotel ticuan just 3 blocks from his office in downtown Tijuana.
The rooms were clean and well appointed. the restaurant downstairs has excellent food. Staff was very helpful as I do not speak spanish.
I will be staying here on my next visit to Tijuana. This place is a gem.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank msskyler
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I've stayed at this property on three separate occasions during the last 18 months. Each time I've been VERY satisfied. It is a premium hotel with great amenities & tremendous service. My Spanish is terrible but it's ok because their English is excellent. I've always seen many Americans & Canadians staying there. The value is excellent too. I would easily expect to pay triple to quadruple their rates if I staying were in San Diego. Other items - - - property overall & rooms especially are very clean, room TV's are great, the heat & air conditioning are excellent, and all personnel including front desk, restaurant/bar, bellhop & even parking structure personnel are superior. The security in parking is great as well. In my opinion you can't go wrong by staying here. Thanks.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank craig s
Sacramento, California
Reviewed November 12, 2013

If you are going to stay in the Centro, or tourist area of Tijuana, there really is no other hotel to consider, because no other is as good. The staff is outstanding. Not all speak fluent English, but there is always an English speaker available. I stayed for two nights on Veteran's day weekend, and wasn't disappointed. The hotel bar and restaurant are excellent. WiFi is available free, but sometimes is a little sketchy. I was able to get good MetroPCS cell service on the 6th floor north. Some cell phones provide service via Wifi if you can't reach your US tower.

There are lots of good reports, so I thought I'd share some other info. There is a Soriana market 1/2 block West on Constitucion, similar to any small grocery in the states. There you can also buy liquor and pharmacy items. On the Revolucion side at Las Pulgas night club, there is a Banorte ATM that has a pretty good exchange rate if you want to buy pesos. It's mostly in Spanish, with some English subtitles. Kitty corner across Rev is Sanborns, a variety store and very nice restaurant. The waitresses wear colorful traditional Mexican long dresses; all similar, all different. Menus are in Spanish or English, but only the Spanish one has prices. Caesars restaurant is excellent. Its about 4th and Rev, and truthfully IS the origin of Caesar Salad.

A few cautions are in order. The jacuzzi takes about 30 minutes to fill. My room had no comfortable seating, a couch would have been appreciated. Lighting is very dim, and electric outlets are sparse. There is no wall socket near the bed. If you use a CPAP, or have other bedside electrical needs, bring a long cord. The North side of the building is near the Las Pulgas dance club. This club is VERY noisy on Saturday night, well into the morning hours.
Tijuana sidewalks are TERRIBLE. Watch your every step ! If you are offended by such things, there are several strip clubs on Revolucion. The red light district begins about two blocks West from 2nd street. Its not a place most would want to visit by accident. Like the tourist area, it is relatively safe during daylight, but precaution should be used everywhere at night.

Don't be misled by media hype. There is danger everywhere in the world, but I feel as safe in the Tijuana tourist zone, as I do in downtown Sacramento - maybe safer. Just don't be stupid; don't be drunk in public; be respectful, and Enjoy !

Room Tip: South side rooms are much quieter, especially on Saturday night.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BiffCanlett
Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed October 19, 2013

While visiting the San Diego area, my husband and I decided to venture to Tijuana for a few days. This hotel was absolutely wonderful! The staff were so courteous and helpful. I was very nervous about being in the city, but we felt extremely safe and secure here. Our room was just beautiful. Bathroom lovely with the granite. Also very spacious with great wifi service. The restaurant was absolutely fantastic. They served a tuna dish that my husband was happy to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, it was that good! Have never stayed anywhere else in a hotel of this quality for the reasonable price that they ask. Would recommend it to anyone! And we fell in love with the city as well!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lynda D
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I traveled to Tijuana with a friend who was a medical tourist. I was very nervous about being in Tijuana in the first place and spending so much time alone. It turned out to be an enjoyable stay! Thanks to the hotel. It's in a safe and convienent location, and the staff went out of their way to accomadate me. The hotels restaurant Albacaha was awesome!!!! Great authentic mexican food. Cheap too! I spent alot of time in the bar area (smoking is permitted) enjoying a cocktail and reading. They have several tvs, but they were all Spanish speaking. The wifi was excellent.
Rooms were very clean and spacious, and everyone on the staff was so polite and nice!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends