“Very dissapointed with their service”

Holiday Inn Tijuana Zona Rio
Ranked #24 of 45 Hotels in Tijuana
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The service we received at this Holiday Inn was mediocre.

1. Excessive Noise. The noise from the street never stops, you need earplugs. Also we had a bunch of teenagers next door screaming, running, banging the walls and the door between our room, after numerous complaints to reception they settled down just a bit but they carried on.

2. The ice machine was out of order. I stayed on the second floor and I had to go hunting for this thing all over the building just to find out that It was on the ground floor behind a closed door, it may not seem like a big deal but I had back surgery and all of this was a huge undertaking and inconvenience.

3. The TV had so much static and when there was no static the colors were so dark, it was unbearable trying to watch TV.

4. They won't allow you to have food delivered to your room from the outside you have to go to the lobby to pick it up.

5. Their room service menu doesn't have prices!!! You either have to ask for the prices of everything you might want or wait for the surprise, I asked twice for prices and they got an attitude, I told them I need to know ahead of time so I know how much I'd owe.

I ordered chicken wings and pasta, about 25 minutes later when I am supposed to receive my meal they call me to tell me that they were out of chicken wings, what??? You couldn't tell me that, they said to me, sir you can either change your order or cancel, just like that no being apologetic or anything, so I said fine let me get the "Arrachera Tacos", ok sir it will be about 25 minutes, again I was astonished by their lack common sense.

In all we will never come back to this place and we will not recommend it to anyone we know, we have stayed at other Holiday Inn's in Mexico and in the US and this one takes the prize, the worst service.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Tijuana Zona Rio, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear MiguelDex,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Tijuana Zona Rio

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This Holiday Inn in Tijuana does have a good middle Class Standard. There was a friendly Employee at eception and fast CheckIn. We spend 2 nights there and can say, that it is a clean and clam Place. The Location was good, due lot of Shops and Restaurants have been there not far away. Nice decorated Breakfast Buffet. Choices of hot Beverages have been good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed there on Friday Aug 31, 2013. I did not have anywhere to stay, saw that this hotel had descent reviews. So i booked a room I could not sleep the whole night, i felt something biting me, but i could never find anything. Until i finally caught something. Got up and saw that there was bed bugs where I was laying down. I called hotel management, and they did not have the decency to come out and fix the issue. They choose to ignore the issue. I have stayed at motels with better customer service.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jl90650
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Tijuana Zona Rio, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear jl90650,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I would like to address this with you further but unfortunately, your account settings do not allow us to send you a Private Message. You are welcome to reach out to our Guest Relations Department via email at IHGCare@ihg.com or you may send us a Private Message through TripAdvisor to IHGCare including reference to your TripAdvisor Account Name so we can follow up on your experience.

Again, thank you for your review. We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one ight. Has a Spa adyacent, and a jacuzzi with thermal waters. However could not use it as it was way too hot. Later someone told me that I should call the reception 15 minutes before using it to control the temp.... Mmmmm.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Tijuana Zona Rio, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear ETame,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

This was my first visit to the hotel. I found it conveniently located and exceptionally clean. The food was tasty with local dishes on the menu.
My people use Tijuana for inexpensive medical treatments. This place would be ideal-close to services and quiet.

Room Tip: the higher you go the quieter...less street noise. pool closes early.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Absolutely will not stay there again. Internet price was not honored at first then when they accepted that I had a printout of the reservation with price they accepted the reservation. BUT I was billed for BOTH reservations and it has not come off the credit card statement yet. Front desk did not know how to add Priority Club number to reservation. I will stay at the Baja Inn for sure from now on.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rich F
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Tijuana Zona Rio, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Rich F,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Lera P

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I traveled to Tijuana recently with a colleague on a business trip for a two-night stay. I made a single reservation for 2 rooms-2 nights with the intention of each of us paying separately for our rooms. First mistake. What should have been a simple process turned out to be a nightmare. Upon dividing the reservation, the staff attempted to jack up the room rate significantly. It took three discussions with the manager to get the rate back close to the reservation amount. Luckily I had printed out the confirmation email and had something in writing. (Also, I made the reservation at the US website in dollars, rather than in pesos. Another mistake.)

Our flight arrived early and we arrived at the hotel well before the posted check-in time. Turns out that there was no flexibility. We ended up in the restaurant for hours waiting for rooms, even though we were "Priority Club" members. While we did get our rooms at the posted time, it wasn't a minute early.

The rooms were spacious, well-appointed, and clean. The bed was very firm, as in most Mexican hotels, but satisfactory. The flat screen TV had a variety of channels and good, clear reception.

The bathroom had a heavy glass shower door which appeared to be more for an "upscale" look than for function. It was hard to open and close and water leaked out onto the bathroom floor each time I showered. The toilet was not mounted properly to the floor and rocked when you sat down. It didn't leak, but it was annoying.

At bedtime, the AC in my room suddenly stopped cooling. Rather than get up, get dressed, and wait for a late night repair (had there been someone available), I opened the window. I was able to sleep comfortably, albeit there was a noisy street below and exhaust fumes from the kitchen most of the night.

On the second day I returned to my room after being out all day and my key-card didn't work. I had to go back to the front desk and get it re-activated.

On our final morning I awoke to find that the free internet access code had expired at midnight, so I was unable to get online to check email or read the news before I headed out to the airport.

The final frustration was that in trying to split the reservation into two separate ones, the front desk staff had put both rooms into my colleagues' name. I was unable to get a room receipt with my name on it, nor was my Priority Club account credited with the "points" for my stay.

None of the negatives that I experienced were a deal breaker for me. There were definitely some challenges and disappointments during my stay and the hotel staff had the opportunity to offer outstanding customer service to fix the problems. While courteous, no one ever said a simple "I'm sorry" or went out of their way to solve anything.

Considering all the little nagging problems together made this a less than stellar experience. When I return to Tijuana I'll probably look elsewhere for lodging.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Tijuana Zona Rio, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Robert B,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C