“great location! but staff can be rude”

La Villa de Zaragoza
Ranked #24 of 45 Hotels in Tijuana
Reviewed October 29, 2006

Villa Zaragoza's front staff can be rude, check in and check out takes very long! like 20-30 minutes. However, I return to this hotel because if you want to go to La Revolucion (downtown) TJ. You can walk there it's like one big block away, also there is a Restaurant called Ricardo's on the corner that is very good. The security guards are great. Mostly Spanish speaking though. But they always help us with our bags and watch over us because I usually go with my mom, kids and girlfriends. Overall it's ok, however it is not luxury or anything, it's dark in the rooms and they are just OK.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank bayarea71

Reviewed October 2, 2006

The "guide book" quoted rooms for $35.00/night. single charge was 55.00.
The room was dirty, smelled like urine......Do Not Stay!
I later stayed at the Hotel Lucerna for $65.00,clean, safe and
yes...... room service to boot!

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lbnomad
Reviewed August 18, 2006

Just returned from my 4th stay at this wonderful hotel. Garden rooms are spacious and quiet. Very reasonable at about $56 for two of us (two large beds). Good staff and security. It's a block away from everything but I use it as a jumping off point to other Mexican destinations. Booked it by their website and had no problems. I had a very late Friday night arrival and the placed was full but our room was waiting.

• Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank CSTREETDAWG
Reviewed March 20, 2006

I've stayed at many hotels in Tijuana. Lately I prefer the Zaragoza. It is pleasant, safe and clean, and the garden terrace rooms are way off the street and quiet.

It is right off Revolucion, close to all of the night spots, restaurants and shopping. Read reports of taxi problems. Suggest you have desk call a cab. But everything is in walking distance.

The cost was $55.00 for 3 people on a Friday night.

• Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank nanchi
Reviewed February 7, 2006

The hotel itself was adequate and the maids were friendly, but the guy at the reservation desk was certainly not very friendly. I also want to warn you about taking the red taxi out front when you are leaving to go back to the states. We got in a red cab and told the young man to take us to the border. The way he took did not look familiar and he took us in the middle of nowhere where we were forced into a white van and charged $60 to take us to the San Diego Airport. Since we were in an unfamiliar area, and they had transported our suitcases to the van without even asking, I just paid the $60. I could have took the trolley for two dollars and twenty five cents. I just wonder if they are in cahoots with the hotel or what. I did not ask for that service, I just wanted to go to the border and did not like being forced that way. It is just a forceful way of ripping off the tourist. I didn't know what to do. We were in an unfamiliar area, a long long way from the hotel. The young cab driver had a smirk on his face and charged us double also. The taxi usually charges only five dollars to take you to the border. So at least I know the cab driver and the van driver were working in cahoots.

• Stayed: September 2005
12  Thank sharonli
Reviewed November 30, 2005

My story seems to go against the other reviews here. Nobody else seems to have experienced the problem I had, but I'd be careful about making reservations here. Otherwise, every other aspect of the hotel was above average.

My partner and I were visiting friends in San Diego and decided to try to beat the outrageous cost of hotels in the city by going south of the border and staying in Tijuana.

We traveled down on a Wednesday to make reservations in person at the hotel, because while I can speak Spanish functionally, I find it is more difficult to do it over the phone. Besides, we thought we'd have fun passing the afternoon in Tijuana. We got to the hotel and while my Spanish was a bit rusty, we seemed to make the reservation okay. He asked us if we wanted a room with one or two beds, and when I told him that we wanted just one, he kind of made a face and asked if we wanted only one bed. Again I told him that we needed only one bed. One gets used to people asking twice about this when you're a gay couple, but the point is that twice I said that I wanted only one bed. I gave him my credit card information and we left. He wrote everything down on a Post-It note and I didn't think it was important to look at it at the time, nor did I get a copy of anything in writing.

On returning, we were driven down to Tijuana by the couple we were visiting and they decided on the way down that they would spend the night and get a room at the same hotel. But on checking in, we were told that they had reserved not only a room with two beds for us, but the deluxe handicapped room with two beds. This room was much more expensive. The guy at the desk (the same one that had written down the information) said that I told him that I wanted a room with two beds. Since we had another couple with us that needed accomodation, this turned out to not be a problem. However, I know very well that my Spanish is good enough that I would not make a mistake about this, and I clearly remember that the desk clerk asked if I wanted one bed and I repeated that I wanted only one bed. The clerk said that if we wanted to stay there that night, we'd have to take that room but that in the morning, they could move us to a room with one bed. Despite the fact that upon first discovering the problem I told him that it wasn't a big deal because we had four people anyway, he kept insisting over and over that I had requested a room with two beds. Methinks he was protesting too much.

The next morning, I went to the desk and they told me that they didn't have any rooms with one bed available and that if we wanted to stay for the rest of the weekend, we'd have to stay in that room, which was twice the amount of the room type we had reserved. At this point, I decided that we'd just go back to San Diego and stay somewhere there to avoid the hassle of finding another hotel in Tijuana.

I tried to figure out some way in which this problem could be explained without it being a con, and I just can't think of one. The card I had given them was blocked when they tried to run it (even though I'd called the company and told them that I'd be in Mexico), so I thought at first that perhaps what happened was that they tried to run the card and dropped our reservation when the card didn't go through. But the problem with that was that the desk guy kept insisting that I had asked for a room with two beds and that he had reserved that room for us, holding up the little Post-It note. He may have written down that we wanted two beds, but I didn't say that, and there's no way that I requested a deluxe room in any case.

So I might stay at the Hotel Villa de Zaragoza again if I'm in town and can walk right up and get a room, but I advise that if you try to make reservations, be sure to get something in print that shows that you're getting what you want. I was a bit bummed because otherwise, it was a decent place and exactly what we were looking for.

PROS: Close to Avenida Revolución but location is far enough away from the busy parts (and one block back) that there is no problem with noise; restaurants nearby; 24-hour Internet access nearby on Av. Revolución (but very slow); very clean rooms, if a bit worn; no bugs; bottled water provided in room; decent value for the price.

CONS: Possible shady scheming to rip off gringos (or gays?) in requesting reservations; online requests for reservations checked infrequently; $15 USD deposit required for key and remote control (didn't work with our TV anyway).

• Stayed: November 2005
8  Thank iamcrispydammit
A TripAdvisor Member
Victorville, CA
Reviewed April 10, 2005

The "hotel" was equivalent to a Motel-6 in the states, only the bed was MUCH harder! In fact it was probably the the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept on in a hotel. Anyway, this place is nothing special. The hotel staff weren't particularly friendly, they didn't speak English (and my Spanish is bad). The bathroom in the room was really nice, with cool tile but the rest of the room was dark and dingy and the sheets weren't exactly sparklingly white. I might stay here again because overall it wasn't terrible but this place is certainly nothing to rave about. The best thing going for this place is it's location one block down from Revoluccion Blvd, which is nice when you're drunk! So, "Zaragosa" is okay but can find better.

• Stayed: April 2005