“Everything perfect but one night staff”

Hotel Lucerna Tijuana
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in Tijuana
Alberta
“Everything perfect but one night staff”
Reviewed March 31, 2009

I loved the food at this hotel...everything was great - except one guy who worked at the front desk in the evening. He was very rude and I will not stay here again because of him. Too bad as it would be a great hotel. I did NOT like how they would not allow us to have our friends to the room though. There were two of us and we have friends who come to pick us up - they were not allowed to come up to the room even after the guy called us and we told him it was okay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank luvstheworld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Korean first
san diego
Reviewed March 3, 2009

Our room was broken into while we were asleep. An expensive blackberry phone stolen. Everything points to an employee with a pass key. The manager will not respond, answer letters. They can check the door key codes to see who enetered but this information was kept from us. We feel violated and would never trust the hotel again. Very dissapointed with the manager who had to be tracked down in the bar to even answer some of our questions which he never did. Promissed to call us and did not. Has not rersponded to numerous emails.

Your room can be entered at any time be sure to double latch, we must have forgotten to. Hide any valuables too.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
los Angeles
Reviewed November 10, 2008

I stayed there 2 times, The garden is very nice and pleasant but pool is cold (not heated.) Good restaurant with great buffet. good room service.
Very nice rooms, ask for room on the garden side. The second time the bathroom was just half cleaned when they give me the key. they came back right-away but It was a turnoff, toilet dirty and remains of used coffee filters, not a nice feeling.

Very nice staff except from the front desk, not enough bilingual or friendly for American standard. The bar is small and expensive: $10.00 for a glass of bad whine! Will I stay there again ? Maybe, I will try a the Mariott to see the difference first.

• Stayed October 2008
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 25, 2008

We stayed at the Lucerna on a Tuesday night. The hotel is in one of the best neighborhoods in Tijuana, the Zona Rio. I had a hard time finding it because I couldn't see the sign, but after I did find it, I realized I had been admiring it for a few blocks. It looks like a very nice apartment building or condominum complex, as all of the rooms have balconies. The hotel is very clean, the room was modern and very clean, and I appreciated the small fruit basket that is complimentary. The pool area is very pretty. It has a bridge over it, and there is a waterfall by the outside restaurant that is lovely. I thought the food was expensive and mediocre, so if I stay there again, I'll eat somewhere else. The only thing I didn't like was that the desk clerk tried to overcharge me $10 until I made him itemize the room rate plus tax.

• Liked — very modern, clean, hotel in a good neighborhood
  • Disliked — food is mediocre but expensive
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelingirl008
united states
Reviewed March 10, 2008

VERY VERY nice hotel !!! Claudia at front desk was exceptional !!! Very nice lady !!! Bellmen and maids were outstanding !!!! The neighborhood was very nice,,,Plaza Rio Mall was within walking distance,,,many resterants close by,, rooms were very clean,,,,I definately will be going back there !!!!

• Liked — staff and rooms
  • Disliked — lol,,,nothing really
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank justrod8
vancouver
Reviewed March 5, 2008

I was greeted warmly by staff, Alonso went out of his way to make sure I had a tower room so it would more convenient. I was treated wonderfully in the restaraunts and Alonso also saw to it that I had a good driver take me to the local open market and escort me while buying local coffee.
Housekeeping was impecable and maintenance was quick to bring up a heater as I had developed a chill, (health issues).
I would come back anytime!

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank drevell
Calgary
Reviewed December 2, 2007

I hadn't been to Tijuana in many years and frankly, had my doubts about staying there. When I arrived at the Lucerna, I was put completely at ease by the beautiful gardens, perfectly kept hotel and the smiling staff. The hotel was extremely clean and unlike most hotels in Mexico, the rooms were carpeted and not tiled. My room had a kingsize bed, but the bed looked small as the room was quite large. My room had a nice easy chair to relax in with an footstool, a writing desk/table, even a small basket of fresh fruit and chocolates on my bed at night with the sheets turned down. Mmmm, chocolate! Each room has a nice little balcony that either looks out over the pool area or the front garden entrance of the hotel. Outside the hotel in the evening, security was visible, at the hotel entrance, monitoring any and all activity outside.
The hotel is on a busy intersection, but I had no trouble sleeping.
For coffee lovers, there's a Starbucks right across the street.
I was unable to dine in the restaurants at the hotel as my business took me out every day, but I did venture out for a walk in the evening and hit a grocery store down the street to stock up on some favorite mexican foods that I can't find at home.
The staff are kind and very attentive at the Lucerna, and to me, that just sort of says Good old Latin Hospitality and warmth.
Would I stay here again? YES. I'd even travel to Tijuana just to stay there and have a nice break...or mini holiday.

• Liked — Hotel cleanliness and quality of rooms
  • Disliked — phone charges
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business