“What a Find!”

Ranked #320 of 632 Restaurants in Tijuana
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2014

My girlfriends and I ventured into Tijuana after not being there is a very long time. Strolling Avenida Revolucion we asked several people where they would recommend we go to eat. Everyone of them said Caesars where the original Caesar Salad was invented, a good choice, but we wanted something different. Someone recommended Chiki Jai, a small Spanish Basque restaurant. We enjoyed the wonderful salad, mushroom appetizer, paella, and best of all the shrimp!

3  Thank LJKat

Reviewed December 21, 2013

This place surprised me. I haven't been in TJ for over 20 years and was surprised to see that it lost much of its old world charm. I kinda missed the cobbled streets and bazaar feel of the former Tijuana. I had no intention of visiting, but came here as a favor to my French friends who were visiting LA. After crossing the border on foot, we headed by taxi to Avenida Revolucion and got dropped next to the Jai Alai building. It was lunchtime and happened to see this restaurant.

The place is small, but quite charming outside. The service was great. The waiters were super attentive and made recommendations. We were the first ones to sit for a meal, but within 20 minutes, the place was packed. I ordered Pollo a la Navarra, which is a chicken dish cooked in wine and capers. It was simply delicious. For dessert, I had pudding with coffee.

This places specializes in Spanish cuising. Paella is one of their specialties! I highly recommend this place. Although not a fan of Tijuana, I'm a big fan of this restaurant!

As for the border crossing back...that was another story. I'd recommend taking the 20 minute taxi ride to Garita de Otay. Shorter lines than the San Ysidro entrance.

2  Thank J Lee S
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Or maybe bacalao? how about some spanish favada? nestled on the corner of 7th ave and Revolution this delightful little secret used to host all the stars of Hollywood's golden age.
Come enjoy some good wine with the best company and hospitality you can muster, this place is perfect after a bull fight or downtown stroll.

1  Thank Mario L
Reviewed April 22, 2011

the only thing i can say was really good was the Blue cheess that is free and serve once you sit down, service is good but food is average and a bit expensive for what you get, does have a spanish decor and feel, dont think we will return soon. We had chistorra and calamares en su tinta, two lentil soup and two glasses of merlot wine for $320 pesos ($29US).

1  Thank danyvoid77
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Hadn't been to this restaurant before or read a review so we were pleasantly surprised they it was so enjoyable. Great blue cheese and french bread appetizer, wonderful lentil soup, crisp salads. The waiter recommended a combination not on the menu of the salmon with corriander sauce which was really delicious and different. My date enjoyed the steak done to perfection. Washed it down with a few excellent margarita's. Lot's of old tile and bullfight decor as it was quite the place to go when the old bullring was still open in TJ. Reminded me of being in a Tapa Bar in Spain. Only suggestion would be some dimmer lighting.

1  Thank SeeShelley