“Decent Hotel”

La Hacienda de la Langosta Roja
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in San Felipe
“Decent Hotel”
Reviewed July 11, 2006

I stayed here with my boyfriend over 4th of July weekend. I am from Los Angeles and still had never been to San Felipe. I wasn't expecting anything luxurious, as I have been to Baja California and know what to expect. The hotel was great for the price and for what we expected. It IS clean. However don't expect very many frills. There is no pool. Be advised that there is also a whole set of rooms that is across the street from the main hotel, which is where we were placed. We didn't mind much because we really didn't need to go to the hotel. I can't speak for the other rooms but the one we had was a bit small with no phone. Again we weren't planning to spend much time in the room so it was fine. The air conditioner did work and you will need it to withstand the heat here! Overall the hotel is great if you you're not planning to stay in the room much besides sleeping.

The hotel is a short walk to the beach, 2 short blocks. We walked there every day with our chairs and cooler and did just fine. There is lots to see on the beach so there is never a dull moment. Banana Boat rides, the Pina Colada trucks cruising by, vendors, and lots of families! The water itself isn't the cleanest though. The water is warm and I certainly walked up and down the beach several times and as I walked there was lots of trash on the shore. I personally didn't want to swim in the water. However, mostly everyone there was. There is also sailboat rides and fishing trips which seemed like lots of fun but I didn't get a chance to do those. You can also rent 4-wheelers and cruise around the streets and boardwalk.

If you are looking to hang out somewhere at night but dont want to go to club The Taco Factory is perfect for that. It's an open air restaurant with a full bar and you can see the boardwalk which is always full of activity.

• Stayed July 2006
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed November 26, 2005

The facts:
- We didn't do much research before driving to San Felipe.
- We stayed in this Motel for 3 nights.
- We payed around $150 (3 nights) - booked through
internet/phone.
- our expectations before the trip: low, we are camping folks.

Our experience:
Good/neutral:
- cleaning, security and Eldorade Ranch staff were very nice.
- room was clean and we had hot water.
- motel and parking seemed to be a safe place.
- nice, quite beach south of San Felipe. this was the only reason why decided to stay and not to just donate the $150 and drive home.

"sub-optimal":
- room: small, no closet. motel 6 style.
- "not very clean" area: EXTREMELY boring, except if you like fishing or driving ATV's all day long.
- breakfast in motel's restaurant was ok, definitly not extraordinary
- food in Eldorado Ranch restaurant could be better,
- overall: We were lucky that we brought a lot to eat from California... but we still lost weight.

San Felipe in general:
- good, fast road from Mexicali to San Felipe.
- boring, "not very clean" village.
- one beach (south of SF, called Rancho Estrella) was nice, but they charge $20 a day (camping), or $2 per hour.
- we met an older couple (probably 60+) from Arizona who asked us if we found anything interesting in the area. Execept for the lonely beach, nothing! They decided to shorten their vacation.
- nice weather, water was warm enough to swim a few minutes.
- night-life: very, very, very little.

Overall rating:
- we did not regret the trip, because we enjoyed Estrella beach and the weather.
- "a little bit" too expensive for a motel but it seems as if there are some nice campgrounds in the area
- food is terrible in the area, we love sea food a lot, but this probably ruined our appetit for sea food for long time. we tried three different, recommended restaurants (not the restaurant of the hotel, might be better than were we went).
- if we ever come back, then only for beach camping, because the beach was quite and nice, had restrooms and showers. the area around the southern beaches looks nicer than the village.

Of course, this is our personal opinion/experience.

• Stayed November 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego
Reviewed October 9, 2005

I agree with the review posted prior to mine. We vacation frequently in San Felipe, and on many occasions have stayed at the Langosta. It has always been clean, and the staff have always been willing to help (extra towels, room service from the restuarant, etc), when approached in a respectful manner.
Something to make note of: the owner of El Dorado Ranch bought this hotel and restuarant over a year ago. He is obviously a VERY wealthy american, who is now buying up real estate within the town at an alarming rate. If something is unacceptable about your stay (more than slow service, and other gripes some seem to have), I would definitely put it in writing to him, as he should easily comp you for unaccecptable facilities, etc.
Lastly, I'd like to share one more thought. (I am NOT addressing the parking lot security guard issue a man wrote of). PLEASE do not hesitate to generously tip the maids or other staff, if you'd like special treatment. In San Felipe, a woman working full time, 6 days per week, makes only $35-50 per week on average! I can't even imagine buying enough food for the week with that money!

• Stayed August 2005
24 Thank MalaguenaSalerosa
Reviewed August 21, 2005

First of all ,you're in a small Mexican fishing town, so you should under stand, everthing isn't going to be up to a four star hotel. I like the hotel, the people were very nice, the food was great, and we are going to be back later this year, and after reading the other review before this one i can see where the term (the ugly American ) comes from!

• Stayed May 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 31, 2005

We arrived on Friday afternoon, found the hotel after the directions they gave us got us lost. When we got in our room we expected something a little nicer but at least it was clean...
The hotel was Ok service in the restaurant was a little slow our housekeeper was great.
What was really frustrating was that before we made our reservations we asked if parking was included and if they had ample parking for larger cars they assured us that it would be no problem. They told us they had two large parking lots was that a surprise when we arrived and saw there two large parking lots or should I say there lack of especially when you drive a large SUV and you have two jetskis hitched to the back of it. What made it worst was that we would arrive from the Marina earlier than normal so we could assure parking and when we would get there the parking lots were half empty but the security guards would not allow us to park because they were reserved. We found out later that they would reserve you a spot for a fee. There was nothing at this Hotel that would ever bring me back other than desperation.

• Stayed May 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 26, 2005

We got scammed by a staff member.
Scam: Take a perfectly good part off the mark's car and sell it back to him."
I didn't fully realize it until it was too late. The parking lot has "security" in the form of a guy sitting in a little hut. We checked in around 9 or 9:30 pm and parked my truck in the lot (which I just had serviced at the dealer 2 days prior). 12 hours later when we went to get in the truck and drive away it wouldn't start. The "helpful" security guy came out asking what was wrong. He just so happened to have "mechanic training" so he poked around here and there and determined a specific part to be the problem. Something under the engine that has to do with the electrical system. He took it away to his "amigo" who supposedly runs a wrecking yard and came back around 5:30 pm with the "replacement part". He reinstalled it and asked for $100. Stupidly I got the money and paid him before I asked for my old part back. Of course he didn't have it "with him" but would be sure to drop it off to me tomorrow. Of course we never saw him again.
In retrospect I believe he disconnected the part during the night so he could help me by finding the "bad part" in the morning, and "replace it" by selling it back to me.
When I got back home I had the mechanic at the dealership check. They could find nothing unusual. After I told them the story they said it was likely I got scammed.

• Stayed December 2004
23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 21, 2004

This hotel is very clean and well located. Almost everyone there was visiting the El Dorado Ranch project, so there was lots to talk to strangers about. They have a great bar and restaurant. Staff was very courteous, friendly and efficient.
Definitely reccommend it.

#1 of 7 in San Quintin
Luna Blanca Resort
Luna Blanca Resort
#6 of 15 in Puerto Penasco

Been to La Hacienda de la Langosta Roja? Share your experiences!