“Great Place for Dining”
Review of Ajenjo

Ajenjo
Ranked #11 of 178 Restaurants in Rosarito
Description: Ajenjo serves French- Mexican fusion cuisine, with Asian twists, in a Baja chic and ellegant, yet rustic ambiance. Featuring world class cuisine by chef/owner Roberto Valle Hernandez, where you can enjoy his unique creations, such as his World Famous Lobster Burrito, Ajenjo Shrimp casserole, select cuts of prime Sonoran beef, fresh fish and seafood, localy grown produce and dairy from farm to table. Serving lunch and dinner, featuring daily chef´s specials. Ajenjo, also offers a variety of gourmet tacos, such as grilled arrachera, beef tongue, lamb shank stew, octopus, shrimp and more. Ajenjo´s bar is the place to go, for the best martinis, margaritas and specialty cocktails, with daily happy hour from 4:00-6:00 pm. Taco nights are Monday from 6:00-9:00 pm, paella Sunday 1:00 - 4:00 pm.
Reviewed August 25, 2019 via mobile

This restaurant had really great food, wines & atmosphere! Went with my wife on Saturday evening and to our surprise, not well attended. Wonder why?

Dining area is contemporary & elegant and table settings is simple & smart. We sat at the back wall next to another couple living in Las Gaviotas where we live. small chats. Turns out they are new to area. So, we had lots of advice and suggestions.

We had Caesar salads, prepare to standard expectations and our waiter was nice enough to bring me a side of anchovies to give my salad a bit of kick.

Old habits are hard to break. I went again with Arrachera grilled flank steak, medium rare over a tender thin slice of cactus! Added sides was a small tortilla cup of beans smothered with melted cheese and rice.

Because my wife and I were having fish and meat, our waiter helped us to select a mellow red to pair both meals. We chose a nice mixed blend of 4 different reds with 60% Melbec blended with Cabernet, Grenache and Carignan produced by Baron Belche, one of the wineries in the Valle de Guadalupe.

All in all, this restaurant is well worth the visit. It turns out, according to our waiter that customer flow is very well attended on Fridays and Sundays....but, Saturday are much slower...or, as the Mexicanos like to say, a bit calmer.

So, my thought is that the vacationing tourists are not familiar or will not to take a chance with Ajenjo. Just like me, not wanting to eat another dish. Next time for sure!

Very good place.

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank arturofranz
Write a reviewReviews (89)

Reviewed August 25, 2019 via mobile

The drinks were excellent. The food was very very good. The service was faultless. Will go there again at any time.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed August 13, 2019

I live part time in Rosarito and love the traditional Mexican restaurants. But I also love to stumble upon a real foodie chef making a name for themselves. This place is sooooo good. It's in a strip in front of the La Jolla condo's in south Rosarito. There is usually always parking available in front. I highly recommend the abalone soup and then pretty much whatever else you want from the menu. 5 stars!

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed August 3, 2019

Ajenjo was a very pleasant surprise! We were there fairly early so seating was no problem. We had studied their menu on line and pretty much had our minds made up when we got there. Our waiter, Hugo, was quick to bring us chips and salsa and to take our drink orders. I was driving so I got an Arnold Palmer and my wife, Bozena, ordered a Lemon Drop Martini. Even though the menu was extensive We ordered the Lobster Burritos that we had seen on-line. I was afraid that they might not be very big because they were very reasonably priced for a Lobster dish, Boy were we surprised when they arrived at our table. They were huge! Prepared with manchego cheese, avocado and cabbage, accompanied by a delicious fresh mango-chipotle salsa and rice and beans. They were "over-the-top" delectable and so l large that both of us could only eat 1/2 of the Burrito. Bozena raved about the Lemon Drop Martini and said it was the best she ever had. She even said so again last night when she unsuccessfully tried to re-create it. We had our leftovers wrapped to go and also ordered a kind of chocolate lava cake desert, (I can't remember what it was called), to take back to the condo with us for later. The leftover Lobster Burritos were still delicious the next morning for breakfast. We are thinking of retiring in Rosarito and, if we can make that happen, we will be "regulars" at Ajenjo for sure. If you are ever in Rosarito, MX be sure to put this restaurant at the top of your list of places to eat!

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed June 21, 2019

I've been working my way through the menu at Ajenjo. I started with the tacos (the chicken or fish are my favorites) and have been branching out from there. Tonight my wife and I had a wonderful Friday date night.

We started with my favorite of the coconut crusted calamari. I've had this many times at Ajenjo and each time the calamari are cooked to perfection, never overcooked. There is a good mix of calamari ring pieces and the legs. Two sauces, one picante and one sweet, add to the dish.

My wife tried the ribeye and was quite impressed with the taste of the Sonora beef and the attention given to grilling it medium-rare. Cooked to perfection. The dish arrived at the table still sizzling on a cast iron platter. The price was extremely reasonable and an excellent value.

I had the seared tuna medallions. I am a seared tuna fan and this dish didn't disappoint. The dish was served on a very hot plate to keep the food at just the right temperature. Two large medallions of ahí tuna that were cooked, really seared, to perfection. The wild rice provided a slight nutty complement to the firm tuna. The garnishing of three sautéed mussels was just excellent.

Our server, Claudia, was just great. Very friendly. Very attentive. She helped us pair the food with a glass of Malbec from Las Moras in Argentina. It was an excellent choice for both dishes we had.

Just an amazing Friday date night. We weren't able to stay for the cool jazz. We'll do that on another Friday date night, for sure.

Date of visit: June 2019