“Best View in Rosarito, Excellent Food, Service & Beautiful Decor!!”
Review of The Point at Calafia - CLOSED

The Point at Calafia
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I LOVED the experience!! not expensive at all, fascinating place, delicious food...
I wasn't too enthusiastic about going after reading a review that the place had "terrible decor" and "awful service" I usually like going to places that are pretty, with excellent service which is very important to me. Being that Calafia is a landmark and was one of my favorite places when I was younger I decided to give it a try. I was stunned when I saw the place, I thought it would be ugly but the decor is so beautiful. It is painted in yellow and green overlooking the pacific ocean, a few surf boards on the wall, very cozy, very comfortable chairs, it has a nice white lounge on a terrace soooo relaxing. Inside It has some unique lamps, a very nice bar, some beautiful local art and is very clean, I even loved the bathroom decor you'll laugh when you see it. I could only assume the negative comment about the decor was from a competitor after seeing the person only had that one review. I posted some pictures so you can make up your mind yourself. The food was delicious, incredibly delicious I must say. I went with my family so I got to sample quite a few of the dishes, the lobster, the oysters, the ceviche, the fish, the mussels, the panela, the hamburger, EVERYTHING was exquisite. The lobster was better than Puerto Nuevo's, I plan to go back soon and try a few more other things that caught my eye on the menu. Service was EXCELLENT I was amazed. The waitress was very nice and efficient, she didn't speak perfect english but spoke enough to do her job well. There was always an english speaking manager around asking if all was well, which I loved. I asked for water after I read a review about the water being bad and was asked if I wanted bottled, I said no so they brought me a clean and good tasting glass of water. I asked the waitress if the water was safe or if it was tap water, she said the water was very safe, they have a company that brings them purified water and they have a water system for the whole restaurant. I did not get sick from the water and it tasted fine. When I asked for the check it was brought to me in about 5 mins I couldn't imagine they could take 30 mins to bring it to you like the review says seeing the place is quite small and the cashier can be seen from almost anywhere in the restaurant.
Overall we had an amazing day...we got to hear a little bit of their live music a gentleman playing lovely melodies, perfect for the setting, it wasn't just dinner it was an experience. We spent over 4 hours there, everyone was so nice, it was like being in your own beach house, very relaxing great music, time just seemed to fly. We sat inside, outside, at the lounge. The sunset was breathtaking. When we got a little tipsy we decided to stay at the hotel. It's not a 5 star but it was quite decent, clean and very inexpensive, great for a good night sleep. The hotel is not affiliated to The Point, the manager made it clear they rent the place and are different owners. The hotel is a beautiful beautiful landmark and is going to be renovated soon I will post my review of the hotel later.
I was told they have live music on some weekends, can't wait to go back, the manager told us they will soon be expanding and opening a live venue concert bar called "The Joint at The Point" (loved the name) sounds fun!
So if you want a quick, cheap, safe getaway from San Diego this is the place to go. Great food and drinks and a gorgeous view, highly recommended.

1  Thank MrsVamonos

Reviewed September 7, 2013

The view takes your breathe away. It was a great laid back vibe. You can sit and drink beers there and have ceviche and aguachile for hours. Calm and relaxing. I think they have fixed the service problems other reviewers mentioned. Reasonable prices. Everyone was taking photos with the sunset.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stopped with friends for lunch and had a wonderful experience. Awesome views, great food and service..will be back often

2  Thank dannd33
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The setting is pleasant; however, for us, that's where it ended.

Our server knew nothing about serving and nothing about the menu; he was unable to answer even the simplest questions. However, that would not have been a problem had the "water disaster" not occurred.

All restaurants in Baja are required to serve purified/clean drinking water if you request it; it is not necessary to purchase bottled water. We asked for glasses of water. The water we were brought was not only cloudy, it was undrinkable. Because it looked so bad, the first sips we took were very, very tiny--tastes only. It was truly horrible. We called the server to complain. He didn't understand. He went to get the cook, who took one look and looked distressed. We had one glass that had not been touched; we asked him to taste it; he did, very, very tenatively. He went back in to talk to them.

If that's what they served for water, what were they washing vegetables for hamburgers with? What were the cleanliness standards of the kitchen? Why were they not complying with the law? In 15 years of living in Baja a major portion of each year, that's the ONLY time something like that has ever happened to us. We won't go back.

The food? O.K. It was neither particularly good nor particularly bad.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I've been going to Calafia ever since I was 10 years old and enjoyed every visit. Calafia is a historical location and very important to the city of Rosarito. I was very disappointed with the service I was provided and not to mention the decor. Our server completely forgot about us and I had to request the tab. They even forgot to bring us our change which was another 30 minute wait. The service is lousy and the decor is terrible. I will never return to this place again and I had to apologize to my guest for the awful service that was given.