“Good resort in general, will not return”
Review of La Paloma

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rosarito
La Paloma
Reviewed February 21, 2014

The landscaping was very nice and received lots of attention from the staff. The staff was very friendly. My sister used her timeshare points to take my husband and me to this resort. I am not a timeshare fan, and less so after this trip. Maybe my expectations were too high. On the positive side, there were two bedrooms and two bathrooms which was nice for the three of us. I found the king bed very comfortable. The pillows and towels were clean but not good quality. The room was quiet and it was comfortable sleeping.

Our room was first floor, on the end, overlooking the tennis court. Management would not switch us even though the resort did not seem at all full. We could view small snips of the beach in between the clubhouse, the tennis court, and other (owner?) dwellings closer to the beach.

The restaurant within the resort was great. The food was reasonably priced and good. We loved Israel, who took good care of us on two of our three meals there. Don't miss the handmade from scratch lemonade and buy some extra for your room, if you can. Delish.

We didn't know to look for pool towels under the sink. I personally do not enjoy having to go to the front desk for additional coffee, tea, water, taking out trash and new towels when I am on vacation (I get that this is how timeshares work, just not my thing). The staff was responsive and on all occasions but one we received new towels promptly. Don't make the mistake of thinking they will leave your new towels if you're not there to answer the door.

I did enjoy having a locked washer/dryer for our own use. Bring your own dryer sheets. We also brought our own detergent.

The water pressure was good and we never ran out of hot water. No bath tubs, just showers. This was fine for us for a week. My sister and I both noticed that the water smelled a little funny.

There are a few things to note about the general location. This is not a comment on the resort but rather our choice of location. We flew in through San Diego, rented a car, and drove to the resort. Tijuana is not a thriving area to say the least. We kept the doors locked. Shanty towns all along the way to the resort. Not our thing. I am glad to help the local community by spending tourist dollars in a location. But it was hard to see the quality of life first hand all around.

Going off-season, things were pretty quiet so probably we received more attention from the good-natured but aggressive street vendors than at the height of the season. They were friendly, though, and when we said "no thank you" they backed off. There were some people just asking for money.

We ate at El Nido and really liked it. We went back for a second meal that was as good as the first. I haven't had lamb for years, and it was fantastic.

We had read about the small artist/ceramic/hand made crafts at La Popotla, just south of the resort area. We checked it out. I am sure during the tourist season it is an active and vibrant place.

We walked on the beach and had some fresh fruit cut up in a plastic bowl with lime juice, salt, and chile pepper on top. It was fantastic, easily enough for two or two meals. $5. The lady cut up the fruit in front of us.

We drove to Ensenada one day to visit retired friends. Now there is a bustling touristy down-to- earth area. The drive was memorable but not easy. At one point the toll road was washed away and we had to take the local scenic road through the mountains. Lots of twists and turns. My sister, a seasoned traveler, got carsick sitting in the backseat. Advice: backseat passengers, take Dramamine. I generally do get carsick when I'm in the backseat but I was fine riding in the front seat.

A cruise ship had docked the day we visited, so there were lots of vendors peddling wares along the main streets. The vendors were as nice as the ones in Rosarito and as aggressive.

Crossing the border was not fun. It took us 2.5 hours. There were street vendors and beggars to keep things interesting while we inched along.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the higher levels.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank jacksoj5

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Lizzie, who works the front desk, always has a big smile and goes above and beyond to be helpful. Driving back over the border is always a challenge and she gave us pictured directions that helped us - even though we still missed one of the turns and ended up going in a circle through Tijuana. On Saturday, we left at 8am and it took half an hour to get to the border; an hour to wait in line at the border. When you see the line it's ok to stay in the left lanes. Vendors encourage drivers into the right lanes, which only makes them longer.

The beaches are clean and peaceful. No vendors stray on the La Paloma side f the peer that comes out of La Rosarito Hotel.

The gym on site is small but has plenty to keep your workout going. There is a treadmill, 2 bikes and an elliptical. There is a universal gym with poster sized instructions on the wall for how to use it. There are no free weights, balls, bands, etc.

I got a 50 minute massage from Eva right next to the gym for $30 that was WONDERFUL. I highly recommend it.

Ten miles south in Puerto Nuevo there are a number of restaurants that offer fresh lobster for anywhere from $15 up depending on their ocean view.

A block to the north, Betticinini's is a great restaurant that is reviewed in Trip Advisor. A short walk north on the beach takes you to the heart of downtown Rosarito.

This is the second time we've stayed at LaPaloma and we like the trip because it's easy, affordable and safe.

Room Tip: We stayed in #60 (upstairs) and loved it. We were worried about being so close to the freeway, but...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mikaelsen
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Just stayed two relaxing weeks in the Worldmark units at La Paloma and broke my heart to come home. Staff were so friendly, security excellent... felt very safe. This is not a Mayan Palace type resort with fancy pools and swim up bars, its more rustic and homey. Because of cobblestones and steep ramp for wheelchairs... I wouldn't recommend it for w/c disabled... but has elevators and my friend with bad hip did fine, although she couldn't make it down to beach.
There are multiple pools for summer but during winter the one in front of the Worldmark is the warm one... so it was popular. There are people who own units (right in the Worldmark building) and are there year round so on several occasions pool was used by groups of their friends. Most of the time it was empty and waiting for me. We loved the 2 club houses built into the cliffs and played cards there for hours looking for whales and loving the view. Reviews have suggested to stay away from rooms with the large palm trees that block the ocean view. I have to tell you I loved them for a little shade in the afternoon and to watch the birds playing in the tops. The King bed in our room was getting older and not perfect, but the twins were great. Noise from the highway in the back (twins) room can be pretty bad though. You will need earplugs if sensitive. Also bring slippers... the tiles although clean would make my feet dirty if I walked around barefoot.
We drove down and found the toll road easy, finding resort easy... but driving the streets of Rosarito made my hair stand on end the first few times... then we knew what to expect and it was fine. We cooked at least a meal a day (it was fun shopping for groceries there) and found kitchen very well supplied, we also had a ball exploring restaurants in town. Each unit has own washer/dryer with key lock right by room. Worldmark usually charges $10 a day for Wi-Fi in units... so I was tickled with free WiFi - it was moody, at times racing fast and reaching the rooms... other times we hung the I-pad over the deck rail to pick up stone cold slow service. But its only suppose to be at club house anyway.
Beach was lovely, until after a storm... then all kinds of horse crud and plastic washed up and ruined it. Ocean water too cold in winter for swimming.
Because most in town work the weekends for tourists... the town takes Tuesday off... it is like a ghost town with many stores closed and don't plan on eating out. We gave up and came back to condo. Wednesdays were pretty quiet as well.

Puerto Nuevo is supposed to be a fabulous place to shop and eat lobster "fishing village" it was the biggest waste and most irritation to us of anything. From the minute you turn into the town you are assaulted by men in the road trying to get you into their restaurant... I usually have fun shopping, dickering and being asked into shops. This was just horrible, they block your path... drag out frozen lobster to show you and actually follow you down street trying to get you into their restaurant. We finally chose a nice looking place to eat, with many others eating there and when we got inside... the promises the guy gave to get us in... were just ignored. We ended up spending way more, getting less and where was the English speaking guy... long gone. There wasn't that kind of stress in Rosarito.

Room Tip: Ask for view room, even if not important to you... it raises you further from road noises at back.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Blueberry79
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We stayed at La Paloma for three nights. We booked our reservation through Bajanor Rentals, and to get on the property you have to have a reservation or be a guest named in their books.
Pros:
-Quiet
-Clean
-multiple pools/hot tubs, well maintained
Room:
-Bed, extremely comfortable. The best I've slept on in Mexico
-Kitchen
-Common area
-Bathroom
-Easy access to the beach
-Good security, including gate guard and sentries
-Manager was friendly and helpful, he speaks English. His assistant not as much English.

Cons:
-Location, if you do not have a vehicle you will want a taxi ride, not too big of con, taxis are not expensive, might have to wait a minute for one to drive by.
-The little restaurant there is closed Wednesdays. Eat somewhere else anyways!
-Wifi - I believe there may be wifi, we did not ask for the password though.

We love this beautiful place. We will stay here again when we return.

Other:
-Paid in USD

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank William H
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed twice at this Trendwest resort and enjoyed each time.

The cons: The mattress for the king size bed was not good, causing a terrible backache.

Pros: Everything else! The weather week after Easter and end of October was super nice. The resort is clean well maintained and the security is always present. On last visit we arrived at 2AM and gate security had our keys ready. The pool next to Trendwest towers is heated. Tennis courts are well maintained. Daniel as well as the other front desk staff are extremely helpful and recommend good places.

As for things to do... we loved the horse back rides on the beach, located 10 minutes walk from the resort towards the center. (we paid $6/horse for about 30-45 minutes!)

Food: Not impressed with the restaurant on site except for the chips, salsa and guac. We had: Huevos rancheros, Tortilla soup, Chips and chicken, and burritos.

Another taco restaurant walking 5 minutes away from center little pass 7 eleven on the beach side was kind of so-so.

We did enjoy a great dinner at the first restaurant as soon as we arrived in Califas next to the Fox Studios driving toward the beach next to the wall. We picked the fresh fish from their cooler, after thy weigh it (3lbs-$25) they cook it, either deep fry or BBQ it over oak wood and cover it with veggies and a sauce that was delicious. The sunset view was amazing!

In Rosarito town a great place was Manuel's Tacos. The price... super-cheap! The food super amazing! A fast paced ordering system with little or no English from the cooks, however the other customers were very helpful to either translate or describe the food. Order at the cooks, then seat, eat, and then when finish go pay! No cervezas, only soft drinks! At night there are security people helping to back up the car into the traffic.

El Nido... good steaks but overpriced.

Great food and meat selection at Walmart that is on the other side of town!

As for Safety... we did not encounter any obvious danger or felt unsafe. All people seemed very courteous and respectful, especially the older ones. We were never harassed by annoying salespersons or ever approached to purchase timeshares as in other places either in Mexico or Hawaii! The only pushy ones were at either Puerto Nuevo or Califas inviting to dine at their restaurants, however that was expected.

It is a great idea if driving to Mexico to have insurance coverage. Not many vehicles, mostly the ones with California license plates, were registered, having the stickers expired for even more then ten years, much less I would think they would be insured!

Room Tip: Higher floors get a better sunset view!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank AlinBlaj
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I am just finishing up a week here. We have had a great time. The people that work here are very helpful and friendly. As to getting the wifi to work, I found if you are next to the patio door and hold the device towards the ceiling after you click onto a new page to load it does work. I have experienced this in Cabo too as the walls are thick and may have steel in them.
Don't miss Puerto Nuevo for lobster. Enjoy!
FYI - we were in room 443 and it was very quiet with a great ocean view.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rwsay53
WorldMark W, Worldmark Social Media Team at La Paloma, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback including some helpful information for future guests. We are glad you enjoyed your vacation. It’s always great to hear about positive encounters with our friendly staff. We are always happy to help as best we can. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a WorldMark by Wyndham Property – or at least 37 units are.

We were in room 322. I couldn’t ever get the wifi to work for me in the room – my BF was successful a couple of brief times. As a result, I had the entire week to write this review and provide lots of details. Overall a very lovely getaway resort. It’s not a resort in the sense of swim-up bars and social director with lots of activities but more a secret getaway that’s perfect for spending quality time with those you are traveling with or for your own inner reflection.
This is a WorldMark property that shares space with another resort/hotel and also some residences.

The resort was a little difficult for us to find because we couldn’t find our printed out directions and our GPS that we were using went into charging for roaming that we weren’t willing to pay. So we took our best guess and drove up and down the strip. It was Sunday afternoon and traffic was heavy. (On Monday traffic was more like a ghost town.) This is on the north end of town. If you’ve gone past the 7-11 and gas station or hit the military check point, you’ve gone too far. Once you check in you’re given an assigned parking space and you can see which units are WM and which ones aren’t.

The units are spacious with a master bedroom, smaller bedroom, living room, dining area, kitchen and 2 bathrooms. There is a washer-dryer across the hall. The master bedroom has a huge king-size bed with a pretty firm mattress. There’s a sliding glass door onto the patio with an outdoor table set and the grill. There is a TV in the room and a couple of drawers – but the space is tight to walk through since the bed takes up so much room. There are 2 closets – one had a plant in it, not sure why. Not enough hangers. There is a bathroom sink in between the closet and the master bathroom. For the master bathroom you have to turn on the light outside the bathroom before entering. This means at night when sleeping, if one of you has to go to the bathroom, you could be waking your roommate up. The master bathroom is also tiny compared to the other bathroom. Both bathrooms have only a shower – there is no tub. The one in the other bathroom is roomier. Both bathrooms have these incredibly powerful vents that make it challenging to close the door!!

The living room has a queen sofa sleeper and a couple of chairs. There’s a tv/stereo area complete with DVD player and VCR. There is another set of sliding glass doors that lead to the patio so you have an elongated patio overlooking the pool and providing an ocean view. There is no air conditioning although they do provide a fan. We moved the fan at night into the bedroom and back to the living room during the day. The dining area had a glass table with enough chairs for 6. The kitchen is fairly well equipped – with limited space for storing food. They do provide you with a gallon of water and you have to make your own ice. The ice cube trays were tiny so we opted to buy bags of ice instead. The smoke detector was extremely sensitive and would go off every time we used the toaster. We noticed we could hear the beeps of other smoke detectors during meal times. We were used to WorldMark providing tin-foil at other resorts – tinfoil was not included here. Regarding the washer-dryer, they do provide powder detergent but no dryer sheets. Also provided dish-washing soap, dish washer soaps & some spices. The toilet paper is extremely rough. So if you have a sensitive butt, you might want to bring your own,

There is a shopping center as you come into Rosarito that has a Wal-Mart, Home Depo, Applebees, Burger King and numerous other shops. The store do convert US Dollars to Pesos at the published rate of exchange. They have security in the parking lots that help direct traffic to park and help you back up to make sure you don’t hit anyone or anyone hits your car. These guys work off of tips.

Exercise room: The resort does have an exercise room with a treadmill, elliptical, 2 bikes and circuit equipment. You do need to go to the security gate and leave your id and get a key to be have access to the room. It’s located at the main clubhouse. Facing the clubhouse with your back to the security gate, the door is on the left side of the building and this is the only entrance to the workout room. The equipment is old. The treadmill would work fine for a few moments and then would suddenly stop without warning. The other person working out at the same time I was there said it happened to her a couple of times and it happened to me. I couldn’t get the bikes to start and the other girl was using the elliptical. It looked like she didn’t have any issues with that. I reported that the treadmill wasn’t working – the guard said he’d report it.

MamaMia is the restaurant on the premises and they do provide room service. We had room service our first night – I got the surf & turf and my BF got the fajitas. The food was reasonably priced and the person who delivered it sang “Happy Birthday” to my BF as he answered the door. It was hot and good. The meat was a little tough but edible. The shrimp yummy. The next day we stopped by there and got some beverages – I had a combo smoothie that was very yummy.

Touring options are somewhat limited. They had a few wine-tasting tours listed – one including an Ensenada Tour – and an ATV tour and a massage special. We opted to go on a wine-tasting tour. Initially we asked about the price because it said a 3-person minimum and we were only 2. It was supposed to be $55 for 3 people, we were told it would be $140 total for 2 people. When we went to book the appointment, the front desk said it would be $160 for 2 people, I said I had been quoted the $140 and without double checking with the tour company, the front desk said it would be ok. It felt off. The couple that took us around were very nice. I personally don’t think it was worth $140 but my BF appreciated an American couple who were able to personally explain the cultural differences was worth it. I thought lunch was included because it was an all-day excursion and said “have lunch” in the description. Lunch wasn’t included in the price – we were given a couple of hours to wander around Ensenada to have lunch on our own and walk through the city.

The Foxploration attraction seems to be closed. Other activities include horseback riding – which we didn’t do.

Burger King – I think we were the first people to ever use an American Express card at this location. It seems with any credit card used there is a service fee for conversion.

There are a lot of families that were here when we were here. Lots of kids running around unsupervised at the pool right outside our room. And some of the adults weren’t much better behaved. There was a group of young adults blasting Mexican music – despite the sign that said “No Laud Music”. The pool and hot tub were in the same physical and they were often trying to climb from one into the other. One guy split his head open and others didn’t look to see who was around them as they threw their children around the pool and I had a few kids and adults land on top of me. There is not an hour that is adult swim only – which would be nice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Grainne C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosarito
Rosarito Beach Hotel
#8 of 14 in Rosarito
City Express Rosarito
City Express Rosarito
#10 of 14 in Rosarito

Been to La Paloma? Share your experiences!