“Splash does it again...”
Review of Splash

Splash
Ranked #10 of 179 Restaurants in Rosarito
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have been visiting Splash for quite some time now and we have never been disappointed with the service or the meals. The lobster dinner and the mexican combo plate are delicious and very filling. We recommend the "Seafood Sampler", lots of food, can be shared by two. Sitting and watching the water "splashing" on the rocks makes it very calming and enjoyable. We recommend Splash to anyone visiting Baja for the first time. (Close your eyes and imagine, the sound of waves hitting the rocks as you enjoy your dinner with your loved ones, friends or maybe you just want to get away on your own). Happy travels to Baja!!!

3  Thank DANIEL L

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We love seafood, eating outdoors and live music. This was perfect. Highly suggest being there in time for sunset- excellent photo opportunity

1  Thank Cathywp
Reviewed June 13, 2013

MAP ON TRIPADVISOR IS WRONG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Splash is about 10 miles south of the Rosarito Beach Hotel, south of Puerto Nuevo.

Splash. If you’re reading this, and you need to save time, let me make it simple. Get up and go there right now. You will thank me later.

Meals are raw meat and fish, heat, fat, grains, spices, and time. Chemistry, really. Follow the process, not too much, not too little, and you make something that is acceptable.

Splash is a humble little cathedral to the human spirit on the south side of Rosarito. Someday I’m sure I’ll be able to say “I was at Splash in Rosarito in June, 2013 before they opened up the one in Hollywood….or San Francisco…or La Jolla” Splash is magic. Splash is lightning in a bottle. I don’t know how long it will last, so go there while it lasts.

I looked over the menu when we arrived slightly after 1 pm. There was a small crowd, about 15 people on this Tuesday in June. The fish taco for $1.75 and Shrimp Burrito for $3.25 seemed like a low risk choice. Our waiter spoke excellent English, because he cared enough to want to make it easy for us. Amigos who do not speak great English, fear not. I can order dos tacos de carne asada con todo, por favor.

When my dishes came they were…simply wonderful.

Simply….wonderful.

The Shrimp Burrito was on a homemade tortilla that was cooked perfectly. I lived in a little fishing village in Mexico for 3 months that was dirt poor but had two great tortillarias, and these tortillas at Splash were so wonderful my simple mind cannot describe them.

God is proud of these tortillas.

The shrimp was battered and fried and then covered with diced cabbage, tomatoes and some crema.

And heart. Lots of heart, and love. The human spirit reaching for the best it can be. They delivered the Sistine Chapel to me in a Shrimp Burrito. Da Vinci is applauding. Michelangelo is cheering. Picasso is beside himself. God is smiling

The fish taco was also wonderful.

And then…the Flan.

The next day, watching the sunset and sipping on a nice Dry Creek Cabernet from Sonoma County, I said to my girlfriend…”you know, it all comes down to the flan…”

The flan at Splash came with a thick carmel sauce that I think would be called dulce de leche. It was warm and wonderful.

The day after my visit to Splash we visited another highly regarded restaurant in Rosarito and had the Flan.

So, you see, there were two Flans. There was the other Flan, and then there was the Flan from Splash…

I’ve been reduced to a blubbering fool by a Shrimp Burrito and a Fish Taco. And Flan. Oh my God, the Flan.

Neruda would write poems about this flan.

I can cook. I’ve got game in the kitchen. My Grandmother Alice’s spirit courses through my veins. I rarely embarrass myself in the kitchen.

The chef at Splash prepared a wonderful meal that brings tears to my eyes 30 hours later, probably because I’m a pretty good cook but this is beyond me. The tortilla…so perfect. The Shrimp, the cabbage, the crema……

The human spirit. Striving, reaching, soaring…

Splash. Con Corazon. What are you waiting for?
**************************************
POSTSCRIPT: PG-13 rated
You know I just love the reviewer Qualnurse from Bullhead City, AZ: You went to the #2 rated restaurant in Rosarito Beach and ordered a chicken fried steak? YOU ORDERED A CHICKEN FRIED FREAKIN’ STEAK? Are you freakin’ kidding me? You need to restrict your traveling to Little Rock, Ark. Where you can find a Waffle House. SMFH Bless his heart.

My esteemed traveling friend Qualnurse, after reading my review I will allow you to return to Splash and order a Shrimp Burrito and the Flan. Then please re-write your review.

It’s two days later and I’m going back to Splash…

5  Thank data4teachers
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Nick and his crew are consistently great. The food is moderately priced and tasty. The views are top, the staff is friendly and eager to please.

This is one of the two places we always bring our friends when the visit Baja.

We love Splash!

3  Thank BeachfrontBaja
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My wife and I thought we had found a real gem, a really unique bar and restaurant right on the ocean a few kilometers south of Cantamar and more than a few south of Rosarito, near La Mision in Baja Norte, Mexico. What started as a promising restaurant ended as a place we would visit for drinks, fish tacos and bar atmosphere , but not for dinner.

The location can't be beat. It is a short few meters off the free road between Tijuana and Ensenada, easy to find. The waves literally crash on the rocks right outside the bar and dining room windows, with the water splashing onto the bar and dining room windows; sort of, a "mini" La Bufadora. There was live music in the bar, an older couple singing mostly songs from the early to 70s (CCR), which were appropriate for the mostly retired expat crowd. The bar ambiance was great! I wish we stopped only for drinks and fish tacos!

Dinner was far from spectacular. We had the spinach salad (drenched in an overly dressed mess), the lobster bisque (tasted more like canned cream of ?? soup, with little if any lobster essence), the Mexican combo (run-of-the-mill chile relleno and a weak cheese enchilada), and chicken-fried steak (soggy, with too much county gravy, not enough meat, and... french fries???).

Service was good, the view spectacular, and everyone was having a great time. The four-rating is for the quality of drinks, view, service, and location... this is a great place to visit - and maybe, just maybe, their T-bone steak and lobster combo might be worth it. But the food we had was overpriced for what it was, and not at all as good as we had hoped. La Fonda up the road has better food (albeit at much higher prices), but we will return, just to enjoy what looked to be good appetizers and fish tacos, with a dynamite bar location!

2  Thank Qualnurse