“Could Be Great..but...”

Rosarito Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Rosarito
Reviewed August 29, 2013

First of all, I utilized the Travelzoo package. This is the second time I have used it and for what you get, it is a fantastic deal. Two nights lodging in new tower, drinks, bottle of wine, massages, if you use it all, it is fantastic (even if you don't its still a good deal).

The travelzoo rooms go quick so I called the hotel to check availability before I purchased. You need to bring the voucher but checkin was no problem and even with a long line it only took about 15 minutes. All guests have to wear plastic bracelts, kind of annoying but since it is for safety I didn't mind. They were very nice at the front desk and spoke perfect English.

The room: They only have one king bed and are a suite with a "living room". I don't like soft beds so my friend slept on the bed and I folded out the couch to sleep on, it was hard but I didn't mind. There is a fridge, microwave and stovetop (for what!?!) along with a little sink in the kitchen. I asked for a room high up and we got the 15th floor facing the pier, the balcony's are huge and the views are beautiful. Note: ask at the front desk for a table and chairs for balcony, not all have them. Bathroom has see trough wall but shower and toilet are private with smoked glass. Very modern features. You will want to bring ice, there are no ice machines.

Here was the downer of the room, it stunk. There was a signifant sewer smell coming from the HVAC vent. When I called the front desk they sent up housekeeping who agreed that it was bad but handed me a bottle of lysol. We didn't move rooms because they were so busy we didn't want to waste the time, after the 1st night I wish we had moved. It was pretty bad.

We did not have dinner at the hotel, we went down the street to Susanna's and it was AWESOME (seperate review on that)! drinks were watered down and not great so we ventured out in the strip. I will say the breakfast was fantastic, especially the Shrimp Omellette.

All-in-all, for the price I paid and given it is Rosarito I didn't think it was awful and would still go back... if the room wasn't smelly!

Room Tip: I would only stay in high floors in the new tower (at least 9th or higher).
There are newer reviews for Rosarito Beach Hotel

Reviewed August 28, 2013

room....4th world....no shower curtain....tv didn't work....Wi-Fi...didn't work....

FYI women use wash cloths!!!!!

Meals are priced the same as the USA

Front desk ppl.....lack knowledge to work in a hotel!!!!!!

Room Tip: Another Hote!!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I've stayed in a lot of hotels around the world and I'm still scratching my head about how bad this hotel has been. It's not just one thing but a series of events that leads me to this review. If you want to take a relaxing weekend getaway, this hotel might not be the best place if you like excellent customer service.

I got a really great deal from Travelzoo to stay at this hotel. For $270 incl tax you got 2 nights, 6 margaritas, bottle of wine, 2 massages and a fast pass to cross the border. So far, the only thing I'm looking forward to is my fast pass away from this hotel.

When we got here, we asked for a room with 2 beds. Ivan the manager refused to give us the room at first and after several minutes of talking, he finally gave us the room. His reasoning is that all the rooms in the hotel were 1 queen bed and a futon on the general living area.

Also, Ivan the manager said that there's no availability on the massages other than 8am on a Monday, everything was booked he said. He did not offer us any other services in lieu of the massages, he simply said that there's nothing he can do.

Another annoying thing was our key wouldn't work. On the third time after going back and forth from lobby to room, they sent a technician. We complained about this incident and Ivan accused us of not being able to read directional arrows on key cards.

After our night of hanging out, we retuned to the hotel without the wrist bands given to us at check in. Security said we had to go back to the lobby (approx 200 yards away) to get our wrist bands. We proceeded to show him our room key and identified our room number. He insisted that he need to follow us in our room so he can see the wrist bands. The security person was just following protocol but the whole premise of wearing a wrist band does not appeal to me. I would hope that common sense is used by people checking on guests.

This is our first night and I'm afraid that the other nights will likely be equally as bad. So, if you want customer service, stay somewhere else. The reason why I gave this hotel a 1 star is because the new rooms are modern looking and up to par with the decor of US hotels. I will likely never stay here again.

Room Tip: The Pacific building (new building) is nice and modern looking. If you must stay here, avoid the ol...
1  Thank Robbie D
Reviewed August 24, 2013

If you go with an open mind of the hotel being dated and run down. Then you should be okay. The service was great at the hotel, the food was good, but the service at the restaurant was not too good.
The pools were cold and the spas were not heated at all. The rooms do require a lot of TLC.
I was there with girlfriends for my birthday and we had a great time. The hotel was very reasonably priced, got a one bedroom suite withan ocean view in the oldest part of the hotel. So really can't complain if you just go to the room to sleep and spend your time visiting the town or driving to Puerto Nuevo.
I would stay there again, but I really hope that they put some pride into the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room in the new tower
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I have been traveling to the Rosarito Beach Hotel for the past 3 years. We try to go down at least once a month - over 50 times total so far. Drive time from our place in the Riverside area to the hotel is 2 hours on the dot. I have read some of the poor reviews on TripAdvisor and I must say I do not agree with most of them. The staff is always friendly and most speak fine English. If there is ever a problem, they make all efforts to satisfy the guest. We usually arive around 2pm on Saturday; check in; go straight to beach or pool and begin a wonderful weekend. We hit the Rosa & Rita karaoke bar around 9pm – fun times for all with great music, some dancing, and all the food and drinks one could ask for. Sunday morning sees us ordering room service and relaxing on the balcony. Claudia at the front desk helps us check in and out most time and she is fantastic. Many of our friends and family express concern about traveling to Mexico – once we convince them to go with us, they are begging to go every time thereafter. We always feel safe and have never had any problems. More weekends then not there is an event going on at the hotel: wine tasting; jazz festival; flamenco dancing competitions; etc. Where in the US can you make a bonfire and drink on the beach whilst shooting off fireworks. Last, but not least, they give you a fast pass to use to cross the border with a 20 minute wait as opposed to waiting 2 – 3 hours in the normal line.

Room Tip: All rooms have a frig., cooktop, and microwave. The new tower rooms run about $130 with tax. The t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gregory K
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I love this Hotel and It is the landmark of Rosarito Beach. If you want a contemporary suite you have that option, if you want a more traditional Mexican vibe you have that as well, pretty much the best of both worlds. The front desk can be busy but the girl (I believe her name was Lizeth) spoke English very well, was very nice and took care of any issues. She was very helpful with suggesting restaurants and places to buy curios. Old or classic Hotels can be frustrating to stay at but if you have a nice staff it can be a great stay after all.

Room Tip: the higher, the better the view
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This was my second stay here - the first was in 2009 when the tower was still newish and nice. This time though, it was just awful. Bits of the surface of pleather sofa had peeled away. The pillows smelled bad. The bedspread had stains on it. The bathroom was grubby. The elevator situation was just ridiculous. The gym was closed, locked during posted opening hours.
Not only was it dirty, but the staff was exceptionally unhelpful. At the Azteca restaurant, we had to ask for service twice (the table next to us sat down after we did and got their food before we even ordered). The front desk staff was useless when I asked for directions to the Fast Pass lane.
Mexico is full of charming hotels with hospitable staff, but the Rosarito Beach Hotel is not one of them. I will not return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosarito
Rosarito Inn
#6 of 15 in Rosarito
Del Mar Inn
Del Mar Inn
#8 of 15 in Rosarito

Been to Rosarito Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!