“Nice Place to Stay”

Las Rocas Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Rosarito
Reviewed March 29, 2007

Stayed here for 3 days in March 2007, about $100 / night.

The hotel was a bit run down, could use a fresh coat of paint and a few things repaired. That said, it is Mexico, so if you expect this, than no problems. If you're looking for a 5 star resort where you expect top notch everything, like you get on some of the islands, this is not it. But for the price and the location, good deal.

Rooms &Property: rooms were all facing the ocean. Beautiful views from the the rooms and the properties. 2 outdoor pools with hot tubs,
and one secluded outdoor hot tub. Volleyball court outside as well. One outdoor bar (that was open), outdoor bar closed early at night. Bar inside was small and 1970's looking. Did not use the spa. Beds were comfortable. Not much storage space for clothes. No elevators. No Beach.

Service: Great service, especially pool side. Waiters were always there with maragaritas or cervezas. Restaurant had good food.

Location: a quick 10-15 minutes from Rosarito Beach. Close enough to go there, far enough away from the "Spring Break" chaos. 10-15 minutes from Lobster Town Purto Nuevo. A great compromise, in between
both.

Recommended for a laid back place to stay to hang poolside. But you must drive everywhere if you want to go to the beach, restaurants, shopping.

• Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank HobartLane
There are newer reviews for Las Rocas Resort & Spa

Reviewed February 20, 2007

We booked a deluxe suite at the resort and we were not disappointed! The room overlooked the infinity pool with an incredible ocean view beyond that. The suite was two rooms. The front room had a wood burning fireplace with a fold out couch. The bathroom had a large tiled shower and sunken tub. The bedroom was a good size room with a television and king size bed.
The resort includes a spa. We booked the couples massage and bath the first day and both experiences were wonderful. On another day we had pedicures, a facial and scalp treatment. All services were performed by very polite and accomodating staff.
We found the both restaurants to be very good and the service of high quality.
I would rate the atmosphere and view very high. The negatives would be the noise from ajoining rooms, not enough hot water in the morning, and some slight disrepair in the rooms. Overall a highly enjoyable and very romantic hotel.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank aet325
Reviewed February 18, 2007

We just returned from a two day getaway with my wife. It was set up to be a surprise to my wife and the staff there was exellent in making it happen (Honorable mention Ricardo Preciado at the hotel reservations). Everything is really close, Puerto Nuevo and Downtown Rosarito. The scenery was breath taking and really impressed my wife on our 13th aniversary. I really will be back.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank j.perez
Reviewed January 6, 2007

my boyfriend and i decided to take a two day detour down to rosarito while we were staying in san diego over christmas. after reading the reviews on tripadvisor, i wasn't sure what to expect. he'd had a good experience there once before. we had a suite on the pool floor, our patio overlooked the bar and the ocean. the room, including bathroom, was clean and huge, the beds were comfortable, the room had a coffee maker, sink, and small refridgerator. the hot tub, particularly late night with full flasks, was awesome. there is an amazing little cove underneath the back bar, best place to watch the sunset. the only thing to avoid is the restaurant. really, awful. the worst food i've ever had to pay for. we're talking worse than taco bell here. certainly worth the $30 round trip cab ride to eat at puerto nuevo down the road.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lauraplanet
Reviewed November 27, 2006

Alrightie, so I read ALL the reviews on this sight and kinda knew what to expect. And I'd be the first to say that some of the reviews were down right hilarious!!! Ok, so I booked direct with the hotels website, which said they'd charge my card 1 nites accommodations. This did not happen. When we got to the hotel, they put a $350 hold on my card. Not sure why...but ok. Went to our room(#109), room definately not bad, BUT definately not great. The bathroom was HORRIBLE, especially the tub, we preferred to shower in the outdoor showers near the pool. The faucet and surroundings were rusted and brown,green,black and icky. Bathrooms only supplied enuff towels for 1 person! And maid got upset that we asked her for another. A definate plus was the fact that our room had a FABULOUS view of the ocean and the patio doors opened out to the pool/jacuzzi area. Our pool was very clean and the jacuzzi was like new. The main pool area was nice but the jacuzzis in that area was really nasty...Brown foam floated on top of the upper one! Ick!! For the $250 for 2 nites and spa treatments i have to say it was worth every penny. The people were friendly, the treaments in the spa were great but the women's shower area could use some SERIOUS help. It wasn' t much better than out room shower. Food was pretty good in the resturants, but could have been lower priced. Overall, it's Mexico! I've been to Jamaica and it's the same way! I'd definately go again...Hopefully they'll fix the showers and the locks on the doors. But for $250 for 2 nites you get what you pay for and you can't get this ANYWHERE in the US!
So my word of advice is...don't expect Luxury...cuz this ain't it! Do expect to have a good time, a great view and a great mini-vacation from all your worries! Be smart...It's a foreign country! Have fun!!!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank lovbunni
Reviewed October 6, 2006

We have stayed at Las Rocas twice now. The first time was exactly one year ago. Our experience was very good both times, but we set our expectations correctly before going. This is Baja and the standards are not the same. Quite honestly, we would never stay in a hotel like this in the US, but for Baja it is really good. The rooms are not completely clean but they are tollerable. The screens in the balcony doors are so dusty. All they need to do is sweep them off every now and then but they don't. We stayed in a standard room the first time and it was OK. We stayed in a King suite on the fourth floor this time and it was better although the bed smelled a little musty. It was comfortable and the mattress looked new enough, but we did feel itchy and I did wake up with four insect bites on my body. I could not find any evidence of bed bugs and I looked. But the bites were there... I do recommend bringing your own pillows. We had spa treatments both times and really enjoyed them. We go to spas all the time and the service at the Las Rocas spa was as good as anywhere. The spa staff were polite and professional and the massage therapists were excellent. We only ate breakfast in the restaurant and it was good. It also came with our package. One of the waiters was sort of unfriendly and would get this look of resentment when we would ask for a refill of coffee or remind him that we ordered two coffees not one. He would act like we were the ones that made the mistake even though his English wasn't very good. I appreciate that the staff speaks English well enough, but his facial expressions just seemed like he didn't like serving us. We just figured he wasn't having a good morning. The hotel is a little run down and they don't seem to be interested in making repairs. Our room came with a tiled tub/shower combo, but the grout and tile were so dirty looking that we didn't dare use it as a bathtub. We only showered. It would have been nice to take a bath and it was probably clean, it just didn't look clean because it's not maintained. The location is great and the value is good. We felt safe and all in all had a very enjoyable time. I would recommend this hotel as long as you set your expectations properly. i would compare it to an older Holiday Inn as far as upkeep goes. We will stay here again, but will hope that I don't get bitten by bugs next time.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Cali-Nepali
Reviewed September 13, 2006

My husband and I stayed here over Labor day weekend. We wanted a suite but they were all booked up so we stayed in a standard room in their north tower. The room was on the 4th floor, overlooking the "kids" pool. It was nice though because it was private, and being on the 4th floor saved us from the noise around the pool.
The view is great, the rooms are average, with some really ratty lamp shades. The bed was VERY comfortable, but the shower was atrocious -it kept making a crazy-death-whistle-screech noise everytime we turned the hot water on.
I recommend eating breakfast there, but their drinks are overpriced for Mexico, and from what I could see, the dinners too. The whole place feels very "Americanized" to me.
Enjoyed driving to Puerto Nuevo for lobster dinners (recommend Ortega's Patio).
The spa is decent, but after my pedicure she sprayed this "fast dry" spray on my feet- AFTER she had slipped my flip-flops back on, and the chemicals in the spray ate away at my flip-flops. When we complained, the guy apologized- but that's it. Ok the flip flops were not expensive, but they were from Hawaii, and my favorite pair. The fact that they did not offer me even a discount or anything for ruining my shoes really pissed me off - very poor customer service if you ask me.
Not sure if I would stay there again or not. Probably would, but just avoid the spa.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank auntie1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosarito
Rosarito Beach Hotel
#11 of 15 in Rosarito
Pueblito Inn
Pueblito Inn
#9 of 15 in Rosarito

Been to Las Rocas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!