“If you like Relaxation and the best fishing in the world this is for you!”

Rancho Leonero Resort
Ranked #73 of 115 Hotels in Los Cabos
San Diego, California
“If you like Relaxation and the best fishing in the world this is for you!”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We had one of the best trips ever here! The place is off the beaten path which is hard to find close to San Jose Del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas. The people are the best who work there. The food is excellent and all inclusive. We went fishing with Jorge and Ramon on the MOHO. The charter is one of the boats the resort recommends. We put the steel to those fish off La Ribera bank by the lighthouse. Marlin, Sailfish and Dorado all before noon, and we were headed back. We had some of the fish smoked by a smokehouse in Los Barilles, and we are still eating it. WE are going back for sure. We love Rancho Leonero!

Room Tip: Select Ocean Front on the north side
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank hate2party

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
San Diego, CA
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Sight unseen, I bought a week at Rancho Leonero at a Navy SEALS fundraiser, wanting to go to a Cabo resort for our 25th anniversary. Never did that before, and when I jumped on the website that night and saw it's remote location, it was instant buyer's remorse. How I was going to explain this to my wife, who was already nervous about the safety in MX?!

ALL CONCERNS ARE GONE - WHAT A WONDERFUL GETAWAY! Just got back from the most peaceful, safe, clean, fun, beautiful week, and we don't even fish! We worked out, kayaked, and snorkeled in the mornings, read and relaxed in the afternoons, and enjoyed the company of the nicest fellow guests during all the meals, which always hit the spot. Our Casita #14 patio on the beach was the best spot in the ranch for privacy while lounging to the changing scenes of the ocean.

We had a car and ventured to nearby towns, but nothing compared to the simple beauty and hospitable staff that made the Ranch feel like our home away from home.

Yes, it's old Mexico and not our usual traveling style, but so glad we did it. What a perfect week to celebrate our 25th. Thank you Rancho Leonero staff... you all care about your guests, and it made all the difference.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dannichole
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Last week was my first trip to the ranch and it was FANTASTIC!! This is the real deal, old school, chill Baja where you eat, sleep, relax, FISH, drink and make friends. If you live in flip flops, love the real Mexico and can hang this is the place for you! The hospitality is amazing and it is a perfect place for anyone who wants to completely escape to an awesome and remote place in Baja and just be. The compound is great with a gorgeous pool, amazing beaches and killer views. It's all inclusive by nature because nothing is at all close by and the food and bar are great. Get the chips and guacamole after a day of activity and catch some fish that the kitchen will turn into delicious ceviche. Rooms are large, clean, comfy and have great views, but are not fancy. They have fishing charters right there for you, kayaks, horseback riding, snorkeling, miles of beach to walk, spa treatments, etc. or take a day to chill in a hammock by the pool. Many thanks to Gary, Fernando, Joel, Nico, Eddie, Maria and the rest of the wonderful Ranch team who bent over backwards making us all feel completely at home. You guys are awesome and I will be back again and again. Thanks for giving me a new happy place!!!

NOTE - if you are a "I have to blow out my hair", seek out the local Ruth Chris on every vacation and always bring 2 suitcases of crap for a 4 day trip then this is NOT the place for you. See above about old school Mexico...

Room Tip: Room 2 had great views and so do the ocean front bungalows - rooms 20-26.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Blythe L
Sacramento, California
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I just returned from a three night stay at Rancho Leonero and have nothing but good to say about it. And I'm picky. When I'm traveling with my family, we're probably at a Four Seasons/Ritz deal. I know that's not where everybody stays or wants to, but there's my context. And that's not what The Ranch is about. The excellence of Rancho Leonero is unassumingly, unpretentiously, and comfortingly pure East Cape. So if you want to get your club buzz on, go to San Lucas. With that, on to Leonero:

I came with a buddy the first week of November. We've been to other fishing properties on the Cape. We had not been to Leonero before. We had expectations that were high. The informal resort is properly isolated and located directly on a semi-rocky spit on the beach. Check in was a breeze. The staff were warm and professional without overdoing it (saw a reviewer complaining about staff. Huh?). The only indication of security we saw was a Manx cat. It wasn't terribly alarming.

Staff (Eddie) coordinated our fishing trips without a hitch, and offered great suggestions to tailor their offerings with our needs/interests. This was no cookie-cutter operation: they tailor/match make their boats and guides to what you're after and your skill level. We chose Jorge as our guide. We continued to choose him for each successive trip and would happily do so again. Excellent and a breeze to spend time on a boat with. Being November, the weather was somewhat uncooperative and the fishing wasn't wide open, but he consistently put us on fish--sails, roosters, dorado and blast of a morning with little bass rods and sierra.

We stayed in a casita, which was more than roomy and comfortable. AC was awesome. Pillows were shockingly good. At our request the kitchen turned some of our sierra into ceviche at cocktail hour. Also incredibly good. The food there is competent and what I want after 6-7 hours on a boat: I don't want to choose. I want to eat. And it'd better be good. And it was. The bar was solid and, despite our best efforts to be unhappy with the bar tab, we had nothing to complain about. We were stunned at the reasonable prices.

Not only have no complaints. Am already planning my next trip.

Room Tip: Would strongly suggest using Leonero's transport service to and from the airport.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Peter_KX1760PA
florida
Reviewed October 22, 2013

As you leave customs at the new Cabo Airport, your transportation awaits just outside,
(contact Genie at Ranchero home office for information). I HAVE ALWAYS FELT SAFE BOTH AT THE AIRPORT AND AT THE RANCH). After an hour or so drive you arrive at a SCENE FROM THE EAST CAPE'S PAST. After a smooth check in with Juliana, (you also may have a chance to meet "GARY", who run's the place like a fine Swiss watch). after unpacking in your very cool, fully AirConditioned room, (check out the fab. shower), take a short stroll to the beach, the bar, the view, and dinning room. This is my 5th trip and I am a lady angler who has fished all over the world*** but the fishing here is the best i have ver experienced. Blue Marlin, Striped Marlin, Sailfish, plus tuna, Mahi Mahi (dorado) and wahoo. Also bottom fishing is excellent..
Along with fishing club friends from Florida, (we release all billfish) i have been lucky enough to fish with the same Capt.for the 5 years.
The ranch also provides "Pac-N-Play" Hi-Chairs,and wheelchair accommodation, just contact Genie at the home office. The food is great,(three meals per day) including lunch on the boat.
The staff and service is over the top.
However Hotel tax,Sales tax, Serv. charge, Bar ,Cold drinks, A Mexican fishing license and transportation to and from the Airport is extra. Contact home office for information.
Take it frome, this is a quiet, out of the noisy big city, resort to be savored, and enjoyed.
Great value for the money.. A 10 star resort, for sure from me...DIXIE BURNS

Room Tip: I have enjoyed everyone, ocean view, garden view, standard.. all great..
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank mickey546
Portland
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My first trip to Rancho Leonero and I will definitely be back. If you are looking for a Baja experience that isn't Cabo, this is a great place to spend some time. I was supposed to be there 5 nights but was able to come 2 days early. The reservation and front desk staff was extremely accommodating and helpful getting me a room and making the transition into my group reservations easy. The accommodations, staff, service and fishing experience made this a great vacation. Thank you everyone, you have great place!

Room Tip: I did not use room service or the fitness center, so I don't have any reviews.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank GrizSmith
Seguin, Texas
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

This was our 3rd trip to Rancho Leonero. Every time we arrive, it is like being reacquainted with an old friend. The fishing was great, the staff was friendly and helpful as always, the food was wonderful. 85 degree crystal clear water in the sea of Cortez topped off the whole trip. We will be back next year, and we are bringing several friends with us.

• Stayed September 2013
#3 of 4 in Los Barriles
Cabo Pulmo Eco Palapa
Cabo Pulmo Eco Palapa
#1 of 3 in Cabo Pulmo

Been to Rancho Leonero Resort? Share your experiences!