“SIMPLY, the BEST!”

Ranked #74 of 116 Hotels in Los Cabos
Santa Barbara, California
“SIMPLY, the BEST!”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

After my 13th trip to Rancho Leonero I feel compelled to write a review on tripadvisor.
I, my wife,daughters and many friends travel many places in both Mexico and elsewhere, and can only say this is always our favorite. The world class fishing and top notch service can't be beat. If you want crazy nightlife and lots of hussle and bussle, don't go here. If you want SAFE, clean, relaxing and beautiful go here. Great food and beautiful snorkeling have to get a mention as well. Families with kids, just friends fishing, or a romantic getaway all works. Already planning trip 14! ( The only problem is everyone who comes with us wants to go back as well!)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank bkelley123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 9, 2011

This place is truly away from it all. Located about 1 hour north of San Jose, Rancho Leonero is an oasis after an 8 km bumpy ride down a dirt path.

You are not greeted with a moist towel and a bell hop at this place. Drag your suitcase to your ocean view casita and go back and ask for towels if there aren't any in your room. And then begin to relax. This place is completely away from it all.

We were greeted by a herd of cows and a few horses each night around sunset, and started the day hearing the giant green tractor putting the fishing boats into the water. The swimmable beach is perfect for snorkeling, the pool is empty during the day when the other guests are out on their fishing tours, the margaritas are the strongest in Baja. The food is.. well. ok...who cares? It is cooked and brought to you , the basics are all there and everything is taken care of. I loved the fact that there was no "menu" for lunch or dinner. What you got was what you got. I found it to be tasty, albeit not the healthiest.

There is nothing to do here but relax and enjoy life. And swim, fish, and snorkel. The beauty of the place is stunning.

I hope to go back again and again and again.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Ingrid P
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed April 10, 2011

I am a resort owner and gamefishing charterboat skipper out in the Fiji Islands and the Rancho was recommended to me by friends in the gamefishing community. Oddly enough, despite the exceptional fishing available there, I wanted a break from fishing and the chance to R&R in the beautiful East Cape of Baja. The Rancho was perfect. Remote peaceful setting with magnificent views overlooking the Sea of Cortez, miles of pristene beaches, very comfortable accommodation, excellent food (I am a bit picky but scoffed everything), wonderful aspects from the dining terraces and pool and a polite friendly helpful staff.
I stayed 9 nights and didn't want to leave. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend the place to fishermen or any couples wanting to enjoy the beauty of the Baja East Cape.

Room Tip: Oceanview bungalows have fantastic views
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank AdrianWatt
Waterford, Connecticut
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Let me just say that we have been back for 2 weeks and The Ranch is still all I can think about! My husband and I traveled with another couple for a mid March, getaway, a slower time for the East Cape. It was very warm in the day but cool at night.
The first thing you need to know is how wonderfully remote this place is, there is nothing around you but sea, sky and mountains. The hotel itself is beautifully quaint with lots of stonework and thatched roofs. The rooms were large and immaculate. We stayed in the ocean front bungalows- definately worth the upgrade- you see only the beach and ocean out your window! ( It is true that you will hear the Big Green tractor pulling the fishing pangas on the beach very early in the morning but I am a morning person so I was up anyway) Of note- the beds were the most comfortable I have come across in Mexico and maybe anywhere else.

The pool is refreshing and the beach is to die for- we would walk for hours and not see a soul. The dining room is large with outdoor terraces and the food was amazing! The best part was when anyone caught fish, it was usually prepared at dinner along with the regular menu and the proud fishermen/women went around and shared with everyone!

We combined our fun days into relaxing,snorkeling,fishing and exploring. I don't fish so when my group went out I literally had the place to myself. It was heaven!! I felt like I was at a private villa :) Although it was said the fishing was slow that week, everyone seemed to catch something- my group brought back a Yellow Tail and Spanish Mackerel one day.
We rented ATV's one day and explored Los Barriles but the hallmark trip for me was the snorkeling trip with Vista Seasport. Don't miss that experience- we snorkeled with sea lions, saw so many whales and eagle rays leaping and at one point our small boat came upon hundreds of white sided dolphins! Amazing!
The front desk at Rancho Leonero made all the arrangements for these excursions with just a day's notice. The staff is very efficient but very friendly and yes the margaritas are very good and very strong!
It is easy to get to know other guests but there is room to have your space also. We would go back in a heartbeat- I miss it already-Thanks again to Paco, Renata and Joel, Christian and all the staff that made our stay so relaxing!!

Room Tip: Definately Ocean Front Bungalows!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank luvs2escape
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 27, 2010

We happened upon this resort as we drove along the dirt road from La Ribera to Los Barriles, not knowing where we were going to stay, just knowing we wanted it to be remote. We stayed in an oceanfront bungalow (#14) for three nights and it was just lovely - huge room, immaculately clean, with comfy beds and soft, high-thread-count linens, a nice patio just steps from the beach with chairs and a table to sit and enjoy a beverage and a book and watch the osprey dive for their lunch . We don't fish, so after all the boats left at 6am, we had the place to ourselves.
The hotel rate included three meals a day and the food was good, with the Mexican fare being outstanding - tortilla soup straight from heaven! The drinks were reasonably priced ($5USD for a generous margarita - warning only have one if you're a moderate drinker - they'll knock you flat pretty quickly!)
The staff are incredibly polite and attentive, the grounds are lovely, the pool is beautiful and inviting, and the buildings themselves are gorgeous. The reef right in front of the hotel is really nice for snorkeling and swimming, and they have sit-on-top kayaks for rent at the hotel to explore more snorkeling areas.
The only downside I have to mention is the green monster: the fishing boats are pushed out and pulled in by a huge green diesel tractor at 6am every morning. I'm not a morning person, and I don't fish, so it was definitely a rude awakening the first day - after that I just figured it was part of the Baja charm... (another margarita definitely helped that attitude along!)
The up-side is that the hotel bills your credit card in US dollars, so you don't have to carry money and you don't get charged the foreign service fee. We only had large bills in pesos, so we wrote down the names of our servers and left a tip with the front desk as we left - just know that they don't have change, so if you want to leave gratuities, you can do it at check-out.
All in all, this was a very relaxing and beautiful place to just do nothing and it was just what I needed.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KayakerTina
Dana Point, California
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Great fishing but ,bring your own rods and reels. The tackle on both the pangas and cruisers were crap! All the reels including the accurate 665 had shot drags,most reels were penn 500 or diawa 50h and penn 6-0 from the 1970's all had shot drags!!! The boat rods were all missing guides. And the dull bronze hooks on the boats were way to big for the 3 inch sardines we bought for bait, They always took us on the coastal cruise and would'nt take us offshore so we could catch tuna and dorado larger than 10 pounds. If you go make sure you get the standard rooms with a real roof, cabanas are palm thatch roofs and full of 2 inch cockroaches and beetles and leak badly when it rained, The food was good some days and poor the next .You are charged $2.50 for most beer which is normal for baja ,but $2.00 for a can of soda was double what it should be.On the good side this is by far the best resort in the East cape.the Van woormer and Buena Vista resorts were a step down. The staff were excellent and did everything to make you happy.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fishndoc2010
dana point, ca
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Rancho Leonero is definitely the place to come for a fishing vacation.

It's located right on the beach and each room is less than a 5 minute walk to the sand where the boats take off in the morning.

It's an all-inclusive resort, so that means all three meals are provided minus the tasty beverages.

We've been coming here for years and the core staff has remained the same. They are all very friendly and personable. The boat captains are great as well. They know these waters like the no one else and can put you on the fish!

There are activities if you don't feel like fishing. You can rent ATVs, snorkel the reef, rent kayaks, hang out on the beach or at the pool.

There are no TVs in the rooms, but that's a good thing, especially when you have to wake up at the crack of dawn to go fishing. You'll need all the sleep you can get!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in El Cardonal
Hotel Los Pescadores
Hotel Los Pescadores
#1 of 4 in Los Barriles

Been to Rancho Leonero Resort? Share your experiences!