“Baja California coast and island kayaking trip, 8 days”
Review of Paddling South

Paddling South
Ranked #12 of 27 Tours in Loreto
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Blending natural history with great outdoor adventures since 1983! Join us! Discover beautiful beaches, sparkling blue water and red rock ridges of the magnificent Baja Peninsula. We give you more than just a tour. Our local staff combine knowledge, skill, and friendly service to make you feel at home on land and sea. Traveling along the remote coast or from island to island, learn about Baja's natural history, enjoy great meals with priceless views, and share in the camaraderie of an exceptional outdoor adventure. You will find a wide range of adventures. We offer everything from catered packages to small-group and family trips. Paddling South began running kayak tours in the early '80s. It is known as one of Loreto, Baja's oldest travel companies. It was started by Trudi Angell and has recently been acquired by Sea Trek, one of the most respected and long-time kayaking companies in Baja.
Reviewed January 24, 2016

Paddling in stunning scenery, with Jorge, an excellent well informed guide.
Meals, varied and dellicious with fresh fish on several occasions.
This is our third trip in this area with Paddling South.

Date of experience: November 2015
"bahia"
"dolphins"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed November 19, 2015

Paddling South is one of about three specialty kayak based tour companies in Loreto, and have just merged with Steve Hayward’s Sea Trek. They can in combination also offer biking tours, mule rides, hikes. This is my only experience with such a guided kayak tour.

I had a good time, and I anguish a bit over a mere "above average" overall rating, because the people are genuine, caring, interested in making you comfortable, showing you a good time, and above all work very hard. Their price is below the competition. I mostly agree with all the nice things others have written here in Trip Advisor, so I'll not retread those any further.

So what’s seriously not to like?

Make sure you understand what you are buying is an unsupported tour, that is, one that will not have a motor boat to assist you if you become pinned down on an isolated beach due to wave conditions – that is, winds above 12 mph or so. Any higher, and you may become stranded on a beach for a day or several days, or be forced into fleeing to the mainland ahead of time due to a forecast of such winds.

Our tour had LOTS of wind days, and did some of each. Guides bent over backwards accommodating us, as did the company, truly, over and above what their "policy" said they were obligated to do. But...

When the winds blow, having motorboat support becomes more about flexibility and maximizing your precious time than just hauling your gear or bringing an ice chest full of cold drinks.

For my money, I’d never go with an “motorboat unassisted” tour again, but this company did its very best under the circumstances.

Date of experience: November 2015
1  Thank bfrazier
Reviewed November 8, 2015

Thumbs up for the company which helped me reach the start of the trip on time, after my plane was cancelled. The trip was fantastic, the guides extremely knowledgeable, resourceful skilled courteous and fun. The food was delicious. I hope to do more trips with this Paddling South and highly recommend it

Date of experience: October 2015
Reviewed June 3, 2015

Great day trips riding mules ad visiting local ranches. We even learned how to make goat cheese. Good ride for beginners and Jorge gave lots of interest to my information.

Date of experience: May 2015
2  Thank vickie304
See more reviews
Reviewed June 2, 2015

Mule ride with stop at ranches for goat cheese and tortilla making. arranged this trip before we left the USA. We arrived the day before so that we could do this day trip before going on a camping/kayaking trip w another company. Jewel, the guide said she was unable to meet us in Loreto the night before the scheduled event.
We showed up early morning at the assigned meeting point. she was a no show .
Cost us the price of a rental car for the day, and an inconvenient early check out of the hotel (7:30am) .
She apologized by email later, had excuses, blah blah blah (as did others from the company- said that Jewel didn't work for them- then why was I sent to her by the company?)
Bottom line: no show/unreliable . wasted my day. find another company or something else to do

Date of experience: March 2015