“Loreto to La Paz with Paddling South” 4 of 5 bubbles

Paddling South
Ranked #8 of 22 Tours in Loreto
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Blending natural history with great outdoor adventures since 1983! Join us! Discover beautiful beaches, sparkling blue water and red rock ridges of the magnificent Baja Peninsula. We give you more than just a tour. Our local staff combine knowledge, skill, and friendly service to make you feel at home on land and sea. Traveling along the remote coast or from island to island, learn about Baja's natural history, enjoy great meals with priceless views, and share in the camaraderie of an exceptional outdoor adventure. You will find a wide range of adventures. We offer everything from catered packages to small-group and family trips. Paddling South began running kayak tours in the early '80s. It is known as one of Loreto, Baja's oldest travel companies. It was started by Trudi Angell and has recently been acquired by Sea Trek, one of the most respected and long-time kayaking companies in Baja. Paddling South provides a wonderful suite of self-supported kayak trips which complements Sea Trek's offering of skiff (boat) supported trips. Together, the two companies provide a complete range of experiences suited for any kind of adventure traveller.
Inverness, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Loreto to La Paz with Paddling South”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

I'm kind of blown away reading some of these reviews as they are SO different from my experience. We left April 24, 2011 with Antonio as our leader and Santiago as our other guide with a "guide in training" Ivan. First of all, the quality of the Paddling South equipment way exceeded my expectations. I brought my own sleeping bag, pad and snorkelling equipment but I should have just used theirs. Their tents and wet suits were also good quality. The kayaks were well suited to the conditions. I was worried about paddles as mine at home is so excellent, but they were just fine. A couple of people were concerned because they didn't have shorter paddles with narrower shafts for smaller people, so they rented paddles in town. The guides were wonderful. I felt their decision making was very judicious - making sure that our safety and well being was foremost. The meals were wonderful - we ate fabulous, healthy food and it was always extremely plentiful. The guides were always up and about very early so that coffee was ready, hot and plentiful as soon as we got up. They fished and clammed to supplement the food we had brought with delicious just caught seafood.
The weather turned during the trip trapping us on a beach and altering our plans. The guides put our safety first and made excellent decisions to insure that we all arrived in La Paz safe and sound and with a great adventure behind us.
The only thing that makes this trip 4 stars instead of five is that I don't think I would take this same route at this same time of year - I think there are other Paddling South routes which are more scenic and earlier in the season would insure more sea life (ie. whales).
But I would and will definitely go with Paddling South again!!!!

Visited April 2011
1 Thank traveller4760

Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Paddling South's Amazing Riding Tours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2011

I recently completed an 8-day mule-riding trip through several canyons of the Sierra de San Francisco of the Baja, led by Trudi Angell of Paddling South - it was an amazing experience!

I arranged this trip with Trudi long-distance, and found her pre-trip communications very encouraging and helpful (in sharp contrast to other Baja tour companies I had contacted). I had an idea of what I wanted to see, in terms of cave paintings, and Trudi not only arranged an itinerary to meet these wishes, but had several back-up plans, in case of possible changes in circumstances (including our own: while there, we had unexpected news about a family emergency and had to rebook our return home, and Trudi was not only understanding and helpful, but adapted our trip to these needs and events).

Her deeply respectful relationships with everyone we met, from permit officials to local ranchers to guides to others we incidentally met along the way, eased our trek and broadened our understanding of the community. She made sure we were comfortable with our mule-riding and camping, and supplied us plentifully with a varied and healthy supply of meals and snacks and clean water. She was extremely knowledgable about our expedition - about the caves, the terrain, the ranching life - and I was able to trust her completely. There was not one thing I would have wanted to have been different. And through it all, she was never without a smile.

In fact, while my trip was planned around the cave paintings of the Baja, I came home feeling that I made a new friend, who gave me the privilege of seeing that part of the world through her kind and experienced eyes.

I would highly recommend Trudi Angell and Paddling South for any Baja trek one might consider.

Visited April 2011
1 Thank AlexFromSpokane
Santa Rosa, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Want to taste the magic of Baja? go Paddling South....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2011

Azure water, rich sea life, and interesting local culture. What a great setting for a kayak trip. You would be hard pressed to find a company with more longevity and good will then Paddling South. Never is that more evident then when you experience the warm reception from remote ranches encountered along the way.
Our guides Trudi (owner) and Sara worked tirelessly to provide us with as much comfort and good food as this wilderness experience would allow.
Their knowledge and skill level made me feel safe and cared for. This was not my first trip and it won't be my last!

Visited March 2011
2 Thank azuresea77
Guerneville, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Baja Adventure in a Kayak and on a Mule”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

I had never been on an adventure tour before, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was fun, challenging and more than I thought possible for camping on beaches and on mountaintop mesas. The guides were very friendly and more than willing to accomodate people with fear of heights with encouragement and support. I never knew I could eat 3 good meals, vegetarian or not, keep hydrated in a desert easily, and learn new and wonderful things among new friendseach day. The places choosen to camp
afforded gorgeous vistas at sunset and sunrise, hikes to identify plants and tidepool sealife, good snorkeling, a "hot tub" near the beach, entertainment nightly by local vaqeuros and various singers & guitar players. The friendly atmosphere was most apparent when working together to help with meals, (not required) gathering up shared equipment and moving our kayaks to safety each night. I felt secure knowing the animal handlers were alert to any need to tighten cinches, pull off the trail to allow the laden donkeys to pass through, and assisting me to climb into and out of the saddle. I felt like a real cowgirl and a seasoned kayaker by the end of the trip, and will cherish the memories of the whole experience for a lifetime.

Visited March 2011
2 Thank melodln12
Bend, Oregon
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Fantastic Kayaking Adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

We made our arrangements with PaddlingSouth, (tourbaja) and everything ran smoothly, as scheduled. We met with Trudi, the owner the night before, for our "pre-trip orientation". She is a fantastic lady with an incredible amount of experience in this area.
Our trip paddling south from Loreto was incredible, the weather was perfect, the scenery fantastic, the water was warm. Just spectacular. Our guide, Antonio was warm, friendly, knowledgable, curteous and safety conscious. His knowledge of the area can not be surpassed, he grew up in Loreto, he is a "local".

After a day of paddling, there was time to hike and stretch our legs, or just laze around camp. On these hikes, our guide knew all about the local flora and fauna and his knowledge and passion added to the experience.

Our food was delicious and more than enough to satisfy even our ravenous appetites. And, it all came with us in the kayaks!

It was the trip of a lifetime. All you need is your clothes and a camera. This outfit takes care of you and everything you need.

1 Thank 4duffy2