Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa at The Islands of Loreto
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Loreto
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We just got home from this vacation. it was one of my best experiences. The room was very nice and everything was always clean and smelled amazing. The rooms are very elegant. The place was very beautiful. Everything was very new and nice. It's really quiet there which i very much enjoy. Everyone there was very great. They treat you like royalty and work very hard. Some of the names of the workers that I remember ware Rolfie, Dulce, Ricardo, Cardelario, Benito, David, Francisco, Gualberto, and Oscar. Overall they all were very polite and treat you amazing. They have activities during the day. The beach is crystal clear. They have kayaking and stand up paddle boarding. The food they prepare is always fresh and very very good. I definitely plan on going back.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank elena657

Reviewed April 2, 2014

The place is just Beautiful and The Best Service ever.......take advantage of the all-inclusive,soooooo worth it.The only down side is they need better connector flights.....long travel time....was not busy at all,but we so enjoyed it......

Room Tip: We had a beautiful view of water and pool!
3  Thank Rena A
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I very much enjoyed this resort as it is in a gorgeous location on a beautiful bay. It was an easy trip from LAX, a direct 2 hour flight. The food was superb, the staff was friendly and went out of their way to make everything nice and first class! I enjoyed kayaking, paddleboarding and hiking. The disco tech in the evening was beautiful and a lot of fun and so was Keraoke.
The day trips to the islands and whale watching was fun too. Rooms were nice and balconies have great views. They have a lot of nice activities too or you can just relax at the pool or on the beach and read a book. The resort is relaxing and wonderful and a great place to get away.

It was nice that the water is drinkable. I never had to buy bottled water and drank out of the tap.They also have a small store on site to buy snacks and other things.

I would just suggest that their free shuttle into the town of Loreto run more often. We didn't have much of a choice coming back from Loreto to the resort. It was either 3pm or 9pm. And a 6pm shuttle would have been nice.

I like how they give to Make a Wish Foundation with the lantern lighting when people donate. It is beautiful, but just make sure that all pieces in the lanterns are biodgradable and eco-friendly so it won't affect any of the marine life. The paper dissolves, but just make sure the wire dissolves and won't affect any marine life when it goes back down.

Also, on the sofa couch, they need better mattresses.

Overall, a great resort! I highly recommend it. Love the staff too! Thank you for making our trip enjoyable. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Sofa couch beds need better mattresses. The beds in the bedrooms have great mattresses!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank OCtravel1
Sixto N, Gerente at Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa at The Islands of Loreto, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Hi, OCtravel1,

We’re glad to read you had a great experience at our resort! And we hope to see you again very soon.

Regarding your question, we just want you to assure you that the sky lanterns are biodegradable. It is important to us to protect the environment and marine life. As you may have noticed, we pride ourselves on being an eco-friendly resort and we try to do all we can to keep green initiatives, because it is a way of life 

Best Regards!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

During our first visit to Loreto in July 2013 we went against the most sacred of our vacation protocols and accepted an invite to VDP for a 90 minute sales presentation. Long story short, we took a chance and bought into a summertime suite ownership package. Wanting to take advantage of some extra point perks we ventured back to Loreto in February 2014 to experience this area at a different time of year. The goal was to rejuvenate the body and soul after a hectic winter season and to hopefully experience whale watching at it's finest. I'm happy to report we succeed in that goal and more.

We were of course upgraded to a one bedroom suite with a stellar view on our first visit back and knew we would be subject to the typical sales pitch to up-sell our package. It took us a few times to make it clear to the sales staff that our main intention was to relax and experience what we had invested in and we didn't feel it was the time to look at expanding our investment until we had the opportunity to just enjoy it a few times. If after that point we wanted to upgrade our package with the Villa Group we would let them know. I know they have a job to do and feel we parted with no hard feelings.

Once that was out of the way, the resort and staff allowed us to just leave the world behind. We were treated as not just guest but as family by the staff. Hostess (as well as entertainer/dancer) Dulce had the warm personality and kindness every parent tries to instill in a daughter. Roberto and Manny made sure our every need was met while we relaxed by the pool and Pedro made sure we never went hungry or thirsty at Casa Mia. We could have spent our whole vacation becoming friends with Jorge who was responsible for the beachside bar but after you see how hard this guy works and the attention to detail he puts into every guest you would think he owned the resort. You could tell Jorge's customer service skills were not something learned in books or schools but something he has mastered through real-life experience. Adrianna in the Spa was a miracle worker with my heels that suffer not just cracks but crevasses at the start of sandal season. Probably the first vacation I have returned from where I didn't hobble around for a couple of weeks due to painful heels.

I wish I could rant and rave about the food choices at the 3 on-site restaurants. I think part of the issue may be that I fancy myself as an above average cook so I may be a little picky about what I'm being served. It wasn't bad by any means and I heard many guest rave about the food but for me it was just OK. Here again, the staff more than made up for any issues I may have had. Since I'm a big breakfast person if I could make one suggestion it might be to create a signature granola recipe to serve along with fresh yogurt and honey. In fact I was surprised that in all of Loreto we were only able to find one place that meet my granola cravin' and that was at Pan Que Pan Bistro and Bakery in town. I could eat there every day but since we were 30 minutes outside of town we only had the opportunity once this trip.

We pretty much kept to our vow to do nothing but sit by the pool and read books and do a little kayaking. We did keep to the plan to take in some whale watching with Wild Loreto near Magdelna Bay. Had plenty of laughs and truly enjoyed our time with Fausto and the other families we met. The Grays were out in full force but we didn't have as good of luck petting them alongside the boat as many other guests at the resort had earlier in the week. We do love the laid back vibe of Loreto's Centro and have to admit I missed that during this trip and suspect next time we might rent a car to venture into town more to hang out. Once the highway construction is finished that will be even easier to accomplish.

All in all, we realize Loreto is an up and coming destination spot and I have the impression that even as it's popularity grows there are people there that understand the value in maintaining it as the place to catch your breath, relax and let the world go on with you for a couple of days or hopefully weeks.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Larry U
Reviewed March 28, 2014

My husband and I decided to use our Villa Del Palmar timeshare in Loreto this year. Wow...so glad that we did! A beautiful resort in the middle of nowhere, wonderful staff, and gorgeous views! We hiked, we ate (a lot!), we slept, we relaxed (no cell phone service--perfect!), and we spent a good deal of time down on the beach with our very favorite staff member, bartender Jorge, who truly understands customer service and always went "above and beyond" to make our experience perfect! Oh, and the spa........truly heaven on earth! When we got home, the first thing we wanted to do was book our trip for next year. We will definitely be back!!!!!

2  Thank kenogal1159
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I'm not a resort person, but knew that VDP was a resort and had read about it. The pros for anyone expecting a "1st world" resort: drinkable water, very good (but limited options) food, nice (but US pricing) spa, nice pools, lovely view of bay (bayside rooms), spacious well appointed rooms, cleanliness of resort/rooms. Plus of course the beautiful Sea of Cortez and all it offers with tour for whale watching, snorkeling, etc.The cons: you are literally stuck at resort--almost impossible to go anywhere on your own, contrast of 3rd word fishing village a stone's throw away (reality of area), U.S. prices on food/drinks ($12 for a salad) + 15% tax + expectation of additional tipping, no grocery, stuck with 2--(or 3 if you count the $50/pp "fine dining place) restaurants. MINIMAL short hiking trails (2), MAJOR construction of 18 hole golf course in progress: think earth movers, dump trucks, NOISE and plans for another 5-6 story building and 160 "frational ownership" homes lining golf course--over next 5 years. HEAVY time-share pressure: we couldn't check into our rooms until we had heard the pre-presentation at concierge and pressured to make appt. for 90 min (more like 2-3 hr) presentation. Did I have a good time? yes. We were with friends and that made all the difference. Would I go again: no chance. See forum for more details on specifics.

Room Tip: north (bay) facing rooms ONLY. Major construction all other directions. We had corner 2-bedroom buil...
6  Thank cvcalifornia
Reviewed March 20, 2014

A memorable vacation of relaxation, excellent food, comfortable accommodations & fun activities! The staff is so very welcoming and helpful! The area is amazing! We hope more walking trails will be available once the construction of the golf course is completed. (A little noisey right now) The spa is excellent as well as beautiful. I especially appreciated the double class of hiking and yoga with Hector.
We planned off site activities through Danzante tours: a trip to Magdelena bay to see the grey whales and a snorkeling & sightseeing trip to Danzante island. Our expectations were exceeded on both trips. We especially appreciated our guide Said & his extensive knowledge.
There is road construction on the trans-peninsular highway with long waits which seriously disrupted travel to & from the resort & created time challenges. Not the fault of the resort but might have been solved with additional drivers (vans were sitting in the lot).

4  Thank Teack