Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa at The Islands of Loreto
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Loreto
Las Vegas, Nevada
“EXCELLENT”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Go and here and you will be given the Best experince by Sixto and his staff. The food, The entertainment, the beach party, snorkeling, Swimming-Location is a little remote. Just like PV was 20 years ago. Go before it becomes crowded.

Room Tip: All rooms have great views. But I was never in my room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Richard R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
North Pole, Alaska
Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I first visited VDP Loreto in January 2013. I posted a review on Feb 4, 2013 stating that we would be back with our children. And we did return, in December 2013 for two weeks with four adult children ages 21 - 34.

I can only ditto my last five star review and agree 100% with the positive comments by others. My response to the less than positive comments is that it is a personal experience for each traveler based on perceptions and expectations, which can be beneficial in making a great place even better!

Having lost a son last year, the family decided to reunite for a family only vacation. It was absolutely the most memorable, enjoyable family bonding time ever. We had a fabulous time hiking, snorkeling, resting, eating, drinking and sleeping. I am not sure how the all-inclusive works, as we did not do it. What I can say is we thought the meal prices were extremely reasonable (maybe because we are from Alaska and everything is more expensive anyway?) Every meal we had was delicious, from breakfast, to pool food, to room service, to evening dining. Many times, we would simply share meals, as portions were extremely generous. The 13-course dinner for New Year’s Eve was an experience in itself. The food presentations were fantastic. I had a “budget” set for our family of six adults and we spent way less than I anticipated – and no one went hungry or got thirsty!

Yes, this resort is secluded and away from Loreto, but that’s the main reason we love it! This is not a resort on top of resort with beach vendors and loud partying from the hotel next-door kind of place. Those can be found in Cabo and PV. I gladly give up the convenience of downtown hectic Cabo for the serenity of VDP Loreto. I am happy that they offered a shuttle service so we could spend a few days in town. Loreto is a lovely community full of history.

The beach is beautiful, great for morning runs when the tide is out. You can go 100 yards out and the water is knee high. We snorkeled on our own at the resort, as well as the catamaran tour with Wild Loreto. Captain Ward, Efran, and Manual were excellent tour hosts. Fausta was super nice getting it all arranged! Both snorkeling activities were great – water is crystal clear! The work out facilities is very nice with full window views to the east while working out.

The evening sky is absolutely breath taking – other than Alaska northern lights, I’ve never seen such awesome night skies – millions of stars – as though you could reach out and touch them. Our family enjoyed hiking and exploring, as much as the daily water aerobics. The only thing we did not get a chance do to is the spa service.

I cannot express our appreciation for the excellent customer service we received from every staff person, from housekeeping, to servers, to front desk personnel. We sought medical attention for our daughter from some kind of bug bite one day, nothing serious. The young woman at the front desk (I wish I had her name) texted her mom and asked what we should take for it, and it was in stock at the store. The next day a couple of others at the front desk area actually inquired as to how she was doing.

I know I will miss a name, for that I apologize, but from the Schreder family we sincerely thank those that demonstrated excellent customer service – we feel we have made many new friends at our vacation home in Loreto!

Manny, Jorge, Roberto, Juan at poolside – you are the best of the best! I was happy to see that Edgar in the Market was still there, along with many other excellent servers, Angel, Alejandro, and many more! We did not have to sign a ticket each time we ordered, but we were not all inclusive. Yes, I still tipped on the ticket, and we tipped servers personally in cash, because we felt they deserved the extra for their excellent service. And of course Mario, a daily host attending to everyone!

Entertainment at its finest with Dovie, Rolfe, Eduardo and Dulce (sorry to see you go Dulce, we will miss you)! The entertainment staff worked so hard, day in and day out, and their enthusiasm never slowed down, from games, to performances to water aerobics! They kept us going!

We had a beautiful three-bedroom unit on the sixth floor of building two with a private Jacuzzi – it was perfect for our family of six. Thank you Bill!

Hats off to Mr. Sixto Navaro – I hope you continue to recruit the best of the best in your staff as you have so far. You all work so hard and we were very happy with our experience. Rest assured, this will be our go to vacation spot!

Please get more flights in/out of Loreto – because our flight was unable to leave Loreto, we all missed our connections and ended up in LAX for two days on standby trying to get home. But frankly, it was all worth it!

As Dovie would say, “We LOVE you Loreto!” See you next year!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank 45BelowAlaska
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

The good/ bad/ ugly. Ok. First of all, the view is incredible, with certain rooms, and rooms are spectacular! Also, most of the servers are great! Some pouted and one threw a fit, if you don't tip extra. We were all inclusive, so technically tip is included.

I so badly wanted to love this place. In some ways, it was great. The spa and people who work in the spa were incredible! Honestly, this is the best part about this resort. Each therapist is precious and shows you how to optimize your use at the wet areas. Loved them. Also, the cleaning ladies were incredible, trustworthy, and very hardworking. They are so precious and make your room look perfect and take care of every room need!

Other than the bars and fancy restaurant, the food and wine is decent. My husband and I appreciate a good wine and delicious food. The breakfast was good at the Market. The lunch/dinner at Casa Mia was average. Some things tasted better than others. The market for dinner was ok, nothing to write home about. The Danzante Restaurant was great! Loved every part of it.

The shuttle sucks! When I read about the shuttle, I thought it can't be that bad. It was worse than I even thought it could be. Their hours of operation suck and it takes 45 minutes to an hour one way. If you miss one that you reserved, you better pray they like you enough to come back for you. Heard of people who got stuck.

Another thing that peeved me was the check system. They make you sign every time, even if you only get a drink. I'm all inclusive, so I wouldn't have to worry about tipping or signing. But they sit there from a short distance and watch to see if you tip. Drove me crazy! One lady, we met, said that they told her she wasn't tipping enough! She told them she was all inclusive and showed them where it said gratuity was included. Don't get me wrong, I am all about tipping. But once again, I did all inclusive, so I wouldn't have to worry about such things.

The beach has dark sand and tons of rocks. My hubby and I aren't too picky, but this was a bummer for some of the people who got cut up.

The kayaking/paddle boarding and hiking is a neat (sometimes costly) addition for nature lovers like myself. If you plan to do any water activities such as, scuba or snorkeling, I suggest going into town and using Sea and Land Ecotours! We scuba dived with Sara. One of the best dives I've ever done! Met a family who dove with the Villa company, and they said it was unorganized and just decent. Sara at Sea and Land was not that way at all! We will be back to dive with her again!

The timeshare presentation is annoying. They get mad if you don't join. Definitely over 90 minutes and was a waste of time, unless you get them to give you a ridiculous benefit for going!

I am not one to complain, and am happy in less than this place offers. I just feel that the resort needs to hold up there end. Make the people feel relaxed, not hassled and unappreciated. Would we stay again? Sure. But we would plan a short stay with no plans to leave the resort and deal with the hassle. Also, they would have to promise to leave us alone with the timeshare junk. Also, not sure if we'd do all inclusive again. Anyway, what you decide to do is up to you. I just hope we steered you in some direction as to what you're getting into.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
25 Thank Anonymousfrenchie
Lynnwood, Washington
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Love the spa, the people there were very accomodating and friendly..Loved the pool . Alberto included us every night in conversation and got us a first class table for the show..General Manager did a tequila informational special for us two gals as we had something going earlier and could not attend..Would go again! Very romantic sleep town.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jen m
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Our whole family stayed there in November, 2013. That's six of us, including two children. We had a great time. The grounds and swimming pool were beautiful, our suite was perfect in every way, the scenery was gorgeous, the staff was wonderful and the food was delicious. On the food: if you eat in the restaurants be prepared for US prices. We had a kitchen and we cooked most of our meals there but would treat ourselves a few times during our week's stay. Buy your food in the town of Loreto and bring it to the resort. They have a store but the choices are limited and the prices are higher, not surprising since the resort is about 40 minutes from downtown Loreto. While you are in the hotel lobby, go to the counter inside the huge lobby where Wild Loreto staff members are. They have some great trips, one of them, a day trip to Danzante Island on a catamaran is worth every penny. You will be forever grateful that you took that trip. We did and the minimum was six people and we qualified so we had the whole catamaran to ourselves with the captain and a guide. Book directly with Wild Loreto and not through the hotel. Less expensive. Went snorkeling at the island it was fantastic! Never saw so many fish, beats Maui by a mile! If you go, you will fly into Loreto (a brand new airport terminal) from LA. Right now, just one flight a day and only a few days a week but I'm sure that will change as Loreto becomes more well know. Loreto is a sleepy little town, traffic is light and the restaurants are good. Ask around for the best ones. Go now so you can tell folks you were there before it changed, which I hope it doesn't. So, you can't go wrong going to this hotel/resort. You will remember the visit for a long time. We certainly will.

Room Tip: All rooms look out at either at the bay, mountains or both. If you want want that looks out at the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Ponderosajoe
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 7, 2014

It's been many years that I have 'threatened' to come to Loreto…! The cost was too high for the few flights that came in. The Villa Del Palmar was up to my expectations… and based on some early negative comments… my expectations were far exceeded.

The beach is not the pristine white sandy beach you may hope for.
And there isn't much 'happening' so be prepared to have solitude…

But as others have stated… the staff was great… the rooms are great… the balconies… great.. the location STINKS! it's a 35 minute drive (rental car) to the town of Loreto… or 25 minutes to Loreto Bay which does have a nice wine bar and a small mexican food place.

I would think twice about brining pre-teens and teens here. They will most likely be 'bored' and drive you nuts.

Great trip… I hope that airfares become more reasonable and more of them available. I live in Los Angeles.. and if its a challenge for me to get here… good luck to those who are coming from other locations.

There has been rumblings in the papers about the builder being hassled by environmental groups to the point they have threatened to pull out of building the fully intended master community. I hope that does't happen… they have done so much to maintain the environment around them.

Room Tip: not sure you can 'choose' a room - but every room has a view of the bay so you can be a '...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kpincastaic
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This was a resort there are awesome waiters the people that were the best is named Jorge, Manuel, Mario, Duvi, Dulce, Ralfi, Luis, and enricke. The restaurants were fantastic, the shows were great and had Delicious food there. i would recommend this for everyone to buy all inclusive cause it's really nice.

Room Tip: Get a view of the ocean
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family