Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa at The Islands of Loreto
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Loreto
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Between the amazing rooms, unbelievable views, fantastic staff, relaxing beaches, and perfect facilities, paradise has been found! Fishing, kayaking, snorkeling, paddle boarding, massages, and pool beverages/food make this a truly unique experience. It may become over crowded in the future, but for now, its the perfect vacation location. Thank you Villa del Palmar! Looking forward to returning again in November!

Room Tip: Be willing to spend....you pay for what you get.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank fishingcj
Write a ReviewReviews (1,180)

Reviewed August 29, 2013

For selfish reasons, I’m going to give Villa del Palmar a poor rating… JUST KIDDING!

One of the best places I’ve stayed in Mexico. The service, the resort and area in general are top shelf.

The flight was easy and the airport in Loreto was a breeze. Here is a WARNING: as soon as you collect your luggage and go through customs be warned about the “Villa Group” sales team. They make you feel as if they are part of the resort, they are NOT really… They want to quickly sign you up for a 90+ min sales pitch during your time at the resort. Your choice, they did offer “transportation” to the resort if you sign-up. I just wanted to get to the resort, relax and start my well-deserved vacation. KEEP IN MIND, do not associate this sales team with the resort team. We (3) took a cab - $80 total, could have had 10, still $80 ea way. The resort van is $25.per person ea way. You may hear the ride is long but if you’re enjoying the landscape and Baja life that follows the road you’ll be there in no time.

As soon as we walked in we were greeted by name and quickly brought to a big beautiful desk so the resort associate could go over your reservation and explain what is happening (activities | food/drink)at the resort during our stay. Then we were taken to the center of the lobby to wash our stress away (hand cleansing) and start to enjoy everything Villa del Palmar had to offer.

We got to our 1 bedroom villa and had an outstanding view. Comfortable bed, plenty of space to spread-out and not get in each other’s way. The sofa bed was a bit springy and uncomfortable, one call and a team from house keep was there to make some radical adjustment – instant comfort. The room was clean and cleaned daily. Every time we walk in from dinner the staff had some very creative ideas with comforter covers, curtains, towels, etc. We had a nice size kitchen with a washing/drying machine. Never cooked in the kitchen but did use the fridge, washer/dryer & coffee machine. The A/C was awesome and worked well. We did have the Ogre family living above us and they were heavy footed.

The resort is under construction but you hardly notice, the grounds and facility are well taken care of. The layout is unique with a sea turtle shaped pool, very refreshing on warm/hot days. Service at the pool was nice, need something to drink | eat, just ask an attentive pool associate and they’ll bring it right to you.

Casa Mia, my favorite for lunch was great. Food was so good, drinks were ice cold and service was top notch, right David! TV’s almost always had soccer on and if you’re not a soccer fan you have the entire bay to oversee. I suggest you try the guacamole and chips or the shrimp tacos and a cold beverage(s).

The beach was so nice, clean and water clear & warm. Great for snorkeling or maybe Chef Roberto will ask you to help him dive for fresh nightly server Chocolate Clams. You can walk out about 100+ ft and still not get your trunks full wet (depending on your size of course). There are Kayaks, SUPs, snorkeling gear, volleyball court, (sand was too hot in late Aug to play beach volleyball) and tons of lounge chairs and umbrella. LA little bar down at the beach keeps you hydrated with the best beach bartender.

Breakfast and dinner for us was always a The Market. Breakfast is breakfast, can’t mess that up and the food displays & presentations were always exciting to see and the staff was always outstanding. Dinner was always fantastic, especially after a day of fishing and the kitchen staff cooked up several different flavors of the Dorado we caught. Here is your chance to try those Chocolate Claims, Chef Roberto style. Again, the staff was first class. Each meal was different off of a menu.

Each night around dinner or after the resort staff displays their on stage talents with some great shows. Most are in front of The Market, one on the beach and sometimes just a movie night under the stars. You really have to applaud the staff for this, they put their hearts and souls into making an enjoyable evening for you. All were my favorite but I did like it when they hosted a night on the beach.

The spa was a great retreat from the heat and a nice place to be pampered. The men’s lounge and spas were very relaxing although I think the lounge chairs themselves need to be more comfortable, something other than just poolside lounges. The activities, hiking, kayaking, SUP’g, fishing, island hopping, etc. kept you busy. We followed a path created by the resort to up and over the hill to another cove to dive, so nice, the water is teeming with life. The activity directors and staff made sure that if you wanted to do something they were there to help…

A kids club, market, upscale Danzante’s restaurant and so much more…

Recommendation: Do the all-inclusive.

I NEED TO STRESS THAT EACH AND EVERY STAFF MEMBER GOES OUT OF THEIR WAY TO MAKE YOUR EXPERIENCE MEMORABLE AND ENJOYABLE.

To: Sr. Sixto Antonio Navarro Lugo, you run a very upscale, top notch resort. I’m certain the success of Villa del Palmar -Loreto is due to you and your wonderful staff.
Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Most rooms face the bay but make sure you see the location of your room before agreeing to it.
10  Thank rkbzdsa
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We are owners with the Villa Group and had always wanted to try the property in Loreto, so we stayed there the week of August 3-10th. We also loved the hand washing ceremony, and the stunning view from our two bedroom suite on the fifth floor. The five swimming pools were absolutely beautiful and very clean. We had one pool to ourselves with another family. The abundant beach towels that are frequently changed for you, and the very comfortable lounge chairs made relaxing by the pool delightful. Our pool server was Roberto, and he was absolutely amazing. By the second day he already knew our drink orders. I could ask him questions about all sorts of things (like all the cool drinks they make) and he had all the answers. He greeted us by name each day and shook our hands. We were not overly impressed with food at the resort, although they sent delicious cheesecake desserts to our room for my daughter's birthday and my other daughter's anniversary. They also displayed greetings for them in the lobby and made a beautiful birthday cake out of towels for her!! We were greeted by beautiful displays by the housekeeping staff, including an elephant and a swan.
The shuttle into town takes 45 minutes, but it is well worth it. We ate at three great restaurants (Mission Hotel Restaurant, Las Islas and Orlandos) and then returned on the 9 p.m. shuttle. The Palmitas market has all the essentials, and my daughters both had great spa experiences.
We enjoyed Latin Night and the Beach Party. The food at the beach party was amazing, especially the chocolate clams that had been caught that afternoon. The entertainment staff is hardworking and very friendly!
The natural beauty of the location in the bay is absolutely stunning. If you want a quiet relaxing vacation, where you feel like you want to get away from busy tourist spots, this is the place for you. The Sea of Cortes is very shallow here and you can walk out for a long distance and remain waist deep in the water. Kayaks and paddle boards are available with a quick reservation. Our only annoyance was the many bees around the pools and outdoor seating areas.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view! We were in 3530 A&B. Loved it!!
4  Thank Maria S
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel is located quite away from town but everything you need is here. You never need to leave. You can opt for the "all inclusive" or get your own food. There is a spa, a gym, a disco,a beautiful beach and gorgeous pools. fishing boats can be book as well and Loreto has great fishing. All rooms have a view of the ocean and stainless steel appliances in the kitchen. here is a small market on the property. The balconies are huge. Great place to relax. Can't wait to go again.

Room Tip: make sure you have a ocean view room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank cat330
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel is absolutely amazing. I stayed with my husband for 3 days/2 nights. Upon arrival we were greeted by the manager, who washed our hands with essential oils. I thought that was a nice gesture and pretty original as well.
The reservation was booked as planned, but we decided to upgrade our room for an ocean view, which was definitely worth it. We decided not to get the "all inclusive" deal, but the food at their restaurants was very reasonable in terms of the price, considering it is a luxury hotel. The drinks are pricey, but you can buy your own bottles and drink them there.
The rooms are just beautiful and spacious. The room comes with all the amenities you might need, including a fully functional kitchen (stove, fridge, dinnerware, even pots!) and a washer/dryer which was really helpful too. Two dining areas, one inside the room and one on the terrace, jacuzzi, living room, etc... It almost seems like a small apartment! The terrace is to die for. I really liked the fact that you can open the door with your bracelet, therefore there is no need to carry any keys. The staff was really nice and friendly. Their private beach is very nice and well kept. Don't forget to gaze the stars at night!
Another tip, the hotel is located about 15 miles away from the airport, therefore the cabs to take you there are super expensive! They were charging us 75 dollars, which we thought it was ridiculous so we decided to rent a car instead. It really made a difference since the hotel is in the middle of nowhere and the only way to go to the town is to either take the hotel's transportation (which is free) at a certain hour or rent a car. The car was 60 dollars per day and we get to visit other places like Mulege and the Mision de San Javier which would otherwise have been +100 dollars on a guided tour. Loreto's town is really nice and peaceful.
Overall, this place is amazing. I wish I had stayed longer. We can't wait to go back and bring the family along with us. I would like to thank all of the staff at Villa del Palmar for an amazing experience.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an ocean view room. Definitely worth it for the price.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Danni_seashell
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Top Notch Service from 90% of the staff (worthy of a 5 out of 5 rating)

• Alejandro was our breakfast server and the best I’ve ever had world-wide!!! We felt like he was part of our family and felt sad when we left to not get to see him again! (ask him about his nickname :) )
• Manny was our pool area server. I cannot say enough about him! It felt like we had a fleet of servers helping us with EVERY (absolutely EVERY) little thing that we needed or might need. He remembered our favorite drinks, made special arrangements for us on a daily basis and had one goal: to make sure we were VERY happy. You rock Manny!

All Inclusive:

We did the all-inclusive for part of our stay and I’m mixed on the value of it. The food was not excellent (with the exception of breakfast) and I came away heavier because of it. I think we would have had just as much fun, and for a better value without it. If you want to forget about money to fully relax, go for it. One note: the resort has a little market to buy things but it is VERY little. Think about a 7-11 and this market was about a third of that. It had booze, water, chips, candy and a small amount of medicine.

The Good:

The resort has a lot going for it, and the staff is the best part. The grounds are beautifully kept and the beach is an oasis (although the water clarity was good, it was not excellent). The kid pool was very large and great for little kids although it was shallow and during the summer the water becomes unbearably hot (over 100 degrees F) by late afternoon. If you stay here, you’ll have a good time.

The Bad: (had it not been for the excellent service, this would have made my rating 1 out of 5)

This resort needs to take some very simple steps to increase the safety of their guests. I stayed in a total of 5 rooms over my week stay (won’t get into that) and NONE of them had SMOKE ALARMS or CARBON MONOXIDE ALARMS. This is such a simple thing to do, relatively low cost, but it is a basic necessity for guest safety. (not an issue? think the MGM fire that killed 81 people)

(Families take notice) The pool we swam in had a clog of some sort (according to the staff) that caused a backup hole in the side of the pool to suck in water by the metric yard per second. It was astoundingly strong. It sucked my 2 year old daughter’s foot into it as she swam by and it took 2 adults to pull her foot out. It striped the skin off on both sides of her foot and caused extreme discomfort for the rest of the trip (happened day 2 of 7). The staff cleaned the wound and told me to visit the doctor’s office onsite the next day (who was not affiliated with the resort). The doctor was excellent and it cost $50 (normally $100 for a visit) for the visit and an antibacterial ointment to help prevent infection. They also said she couldn’t go to the beach without risking a serious infection (killed half our trip plans).
When I went to check out, I told the resort they needed to cover the $50 charge because it was their negligence that caused the accident. The front desk got a manager for me, Ler Medina, who fought with me for 15 minutes because he didn’t want the resort to pay the $50 bill. OUTRAGEOUS!! A reputable, accountable resort would have bent over backward to apologize and comp our stay because this was so horrible (even though that’s NOT what I was asking for). This resort didn’t care a lick that they had failed to properly maintain a pool and a 2 year old girl was injured because of it. I received NO apology during the stay and Ler Medina finally relented and took $50 off my bill for the doctor cost when I demanded to talk to the General Manager immediately. I hope the GM sees this and addresses this serious safety problem. Had my daughter not been wearing arm floats, she easily could have drowned. It would have taken only a moment. (By the way, there are regulations in the States that help to prevent this kind of situation)

I hate to end on that bad note since I appreciate the service of most of the staff so much. If you are considering visiting this resort, go for it. You’ll have fun. Maybe ask about the pool first though.

Room Tip: Ask for Alejandro during breakfast. Rent a car and visit the supermarket in town rather than do...
6  Thank SDdad8
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Just returned from a week in Loreto where a group of us fishing guys. The fishing and hospitality of the staff of Villa del Palmar Islands of Loreto was great. If you plan to stay at this Villa site you must be made aware that the facility has not been fully completed. The facility is very remote south of the city of Loreto and the airport. The facility has construction going on during the day both near the resort and at the planned golf course. The road to the site is an unpaved road off of the main highway and is littered with debris from the storm that hit the area last year. The entrance to the Villa has a make shift plywood fence that I guess protects the pool area but nonetheless it very displeasing. The price for the week is overpriced considering unfinished and incomplete areas. The other disturbing item is the walkway to the beach. The area is still very rustic to say the least and could use a great deal of attention to make it a more pleasing walkway and not a desert trail to the beach. Daily shuttles to town were a hit and an amiss. The great thing that saves the resort is the people that do the service at the resort who are always cheerful, very attentive and eager to please, however the corporate management of the Villa Group/Villa del Palmar has a practice of including an automatic tip charge on your bill for all staff that does not have contact with guest. This practice reflects poorly on the Villa del Palmar resorts and leads one to question the adequacy of staff salaries paid by management to their employees keeping in mind that resort fees, food, drinks, entertainment, and other amenities are charged at US prices. I also question if 100 % of the tip charge goes to staff or does the Villa Group take a portion as an administrative/profit fee. I paid the tip charge and I will continue to make this statement to management including members of the Board of Directors. The fee is not much but it is the practice that reflects a poor management decision and leads one to question how little they must pay their staff.
I would recommend this resort when it is completely finished because it is in a very beautiful location and has the charm of Baja itself. BTW I am a timeshare owners at the Villa del Palmar, Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: Rooms in the first wing are the best
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends