Two weeks before our trip dates, I never heard of Villa Del Palmer or Loreto, Mexico. My wife and I were celebrating our 15th Year Anniversary and chose VDP strictly from the comments from Trip Advisory. It had the least amount of negative reviews and the travelers photos looked promising. Even though we are still a 'young' couple, we were mainly looking for a quiet, high quality resort with great service. Villa Del Palmer did not disappoint.
The resort was not full at all- we saw maybe a dozen guests a day. It literally felt like we had the entire place to ourselves- perfect. There as plenty of staff to dote on us day and night. Everywhere we went in the resort, the manager of each area would personally introduce themselves and made sure to call us by name each day. EVERYONE congratulated us for our anniversary.
Before we arrived, the hotel manager (Sixto Navarro), e-mailed me letting me know he would personally make our stay special. Shortly after we arrived, Sixto was there to greet us and personally take us to our suite. There the staff had arranged a small welcome cake, champaign, rose pedals, balloons, and various decor! Our Ocean View room was nice, new, and large. The suite is the only way to go. It has a jacuzzi tub in the bedroom- very romantic! Sixto checked on us periodically through out the 4 days to make sure we had everything we needed. He set the tone for the whole week and his staff clearly follows his lead.
Alejandro helped us with our daily needs at the front desk. He checked us in and did a great job making us feel welcomed and stay informed. One night, we ordered a dessert that never arrived. It was no big deal since we were so tired anyways. Alejandro made sure to add it complimentary to our dinner the next night. Any problem we had, he made sure to get it addressed. He seemed like he was everywhere. Great service.
Josue, the main restaurant manager, made sure that we got nothing but excellent service. He was always present and created a warm, inviting environment. We spent time with the Italian chef Roberto- he was a hoot! The only thing that was more bold than his personality was the flavor of his food. One evening, the hotel contacted us to let us know they were preparing a special table and meal just for our anniversary. We had dinner at our own private dining area over looking the bay. Roberto prepared a feast in our honor with dishes not on the menu. It was ridiculous! For an anniversary dinner it was PERFECT in every way.
Our favorite activity of the week was the kayaking/snorkeling trip booked through the hotel. Our personal guide was Efrain- he was AMAZING. We were novices so he taught us everything we needed to know. We visited one of the local islands and explored the area. Swimming next to a school of Sting Rays was a once in a lifetime opportunty. Efrain dove for clams and prepared a little feast right there on the beach. If you go snorkeling, make sure you request him.
Overall, this was a near perfect trip. Villa Del Palmer (during this time of year) is a VERY quiet hotel. This is not a singles 'party' place nor does it have a bunch of kids running around- although it might be during peak times of the year. While we love kids, we had left ours for this vacation, so the peace and quiet was very nice. We were looking to get far away, to be pampered and treated like royalty- which we were. I can't promise that everyone that is reading this review will have the exact same treatment, but you can tell VDP has a culture of excellence and service. They get it. Their answer to most questions was an immediately 'yes' first and they figured out how to make it happen. I thought the price for the room and amenities were very reasonable.
The only negatives:
We had an unusual encounter with a local outside of the hotel on the last day. It was nerve racking for about 15 minutes but everything was fine after that. It had nothing to do with the resort so it shouldn't reflect poorly on them. However, when we got back, Sixto (Hotel Manager) contacted me to hear about the incident. He had done some research to explain what had happened and assured me this was a VERY rare incident. My wife and I felt much better after that.
The resort is still under construction so the road in is very rough dirt road. So the property first impression was not great. There are only two restaurants but third is being added by the end of the year. VDP is only about a year old so it's still expanding and settling in. My prediction is that if they keep up this level of service and personal attention, that it will become one of the premiere resorts in Mexico- it certainly has to be in the Baja area. We are planning on returning with our kids and extended family as soon as possible.
I hope this review is helpful- thanks to everyone else's reviews that helped us choose VDP and make our 15th year anniversary perfect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- If you're seeking a place that defines luxury, look no further than the Villa Group Resort's newest shining-star resort in this amazing Baja village. The hotel epitomizes luxury within a small town while also offering complete privacy and every modern touch. The perfect place for everyone from honeymooners to large families.The resort features 4,447 acres of unspoiled beauty. Boasting three restaurants and 20,000 square feet of turtle-shaped pools, Villa Del Palmar is minutes away from Downtown Islands of Loreto, extraordinary beaches, and world class golf courses.Our restaurants are not limited to just extraordinary Mexican food; featuring restaurants that serve delicious steaks to fine Italian food that tempts every palate. You can even cook up dinner your own room in the private "gourmet chef's kitchen". Naturally, all the amenities that guests of the Villa Group Resorts have come to expect are here too. Send your wife to the spa to enjoy a signature Islands of Loreto-massage, or join your children on an outdoor sports-fishing adventure. Whatever you're in the mood for, it is here waiting for you. See, although Islands of Loreto was actually the first Spanish settlement on the Baja California Peninsula, it will be the last place you'll ever want to leave. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa at The Islands of Loreto reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa At The Islands Of Loreto Hotel Loreto
- Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort And Spa At The Islands Of Loreto