“relaxing, adventurious, family orientated”

Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa at The Islands of Loreto
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Loreto
Reviewed July 14, 2012

From the perspective of a husband, father, and individual Villa De Palmar Loreto (VDPL) fulfilled all my needs. My girls (ages 6 and 8) were happy. Kids club gave the service and kindness my younger daughter needed. Yazmin and Angie are supportive, Great Job!!!!! My wife enjoyed the water aerobic class led by Sexy Angie, watch out! She also enjoyed the Food served by Roberto their led chef who is fun and charming and Ceaser. I enjoyed going calming with Roberto. He is one cool cat. Watch out single ladies! There staff provides great shows and events every night. As a family, we enjoyed spending time together. VDPL provided the amazing environment and happiness we needed. It is a magical place filled with natures balance. Remember to gaze at the stars by the fire pits.
As for me, I was adventurous every morning. I went inshore fishing, snorkling, kayaking, calming, and was very successful. You may not believe but I caught a Dorado by hand (Thats right I am the man!). I learned to kayak, fish from a kayak, snorkel and go calming. I recommend having you fish cooked at El Santario by Ceaser. Ceaser was awesome.. I enjoyed his company and his cooking. Ask for him tell him Javier Garcia the fisherman said so. I do not want to forget Shary. She handles the tours in the hotel. She was great help and a great dancer.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Javier G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,179)

Reviewed July 14, 2012

We just came back from the VDP Loreto and it was awesome! That whole area is world call beautiful! It is remote! But gorgeous! The Bay in front of the resort is about 3 feet of water deep for over 100 yards. The kayaking around the place was awesome! The water out beyond the bay is like glass. (But only until 2pm). We say all kinds of fish while snorkeling! The concierge told us that in February there are hundreds and hundreds and whales there. So we'll be going back. The terrain around the resort is awesome too! Very beautiful! But what always makes or breaks a vacations can be the staff. And the staff there was very very friendly. The town of Loreto itself is a 30 minute drive. A free shuttle leaves 3 times per day from the resort. It's a really pretty drive most of the way. And the town and quaint and cute and although it's a smaller town, there's some good restaurants there. Anyway, we'll go back. We can't wait until there is a golf course there and there terrain there should make for a world class golf course.

Room Tip: I didn't like the pillows.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Cabogolfbum
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My wife and I ventured down to Villa del Palmar at the Islands of Loreto on a promotion getaway. We have stayed at VDP properties before and have been pleased with the resorts…and for the most part VDP Loreto ranks up there with the other resorts. But keep in mind since this is a brand new resort, there are still a few areas that need improvement or are not ready. As explained to us, the resort is in a “soft opening” or translation….not everything is open and the kinks are being worked out.

So let’s start off with location – the resort is located 15 miles south of the town of Loreto all by itself except for a small fishing village. If you want seclusion, privacy, and beautiful views of the Baja Desert meeting the Sea of Cortez…you have come to the right place. If you are looking for night life and a plethora of restaurants, bars, clubs, and parties … Loreto is not it and certainly not at VDP. You should rather go to Cabo or Cancun. For us, the location in the bay was perfect.

Check in was a breeze and the Room’s Manager remembered us from when he worked at VDP Flamingos – which came in handy and here is why. For our promotion, we were originally booked into one of their Deluxe Ocean Suites above the lobby. My wife and I spent a total of 30 seconds in the room before we decided a week in this room was not going to cut it. This particular room was just a basic, small hotel room with two queen sized beds and a very small kitchenette. It felt like a cave. We have stayed in much better rooms in the same class at other resorts. So down to the lobby we trekked with bell hop in tow….found our old friend and were able to upgrade to a One-Bedroom Suite with a king sized bed, living room, large balcony, full kitchen, two full bathrooms – master bathroom had a large jacuzzi bath tub, washer & dryer, Etc. Now we were happy!! My recommendation is always strive for the 1 bedroom suite if there are two of you.

Presentation – We took the presentation and quite honestly this was one of the better ones in the industry we have taken. Bill showed us around the property, recognized that we were not interested in purchasing since we already have a timeshare and after 90 minutes we were done. No high pressure sales pitch, not being held hostage for hours on end, did not have to speak with three other “managers” before we were set free.

Pools and beach – We spent most of our time on the beach or in the water diving. Probably one of the better beaches we have been too – uncrowned, no vendors, accessible and swimmable water. We recommend wearing water shoes. Do take note that the Jelly Fish do sting and are present from late June through early fall. Take a walk down to the beach shack for water activities and some great fresh seafood.

As for the pools, there are six of them in a turtle configuration. No slides for the kiddies, which is kind of nice. We felt we have seen and swam in much nicer pools at other resorts. The pools felt as if they were more designed for children than for adults. There are no swim-up pool bars on the property.

Gym and Spa – Do not miss this … really you’ll be sorry. If you feel overly stuffed from the dinner the night before go work out, play tennis, and then take some time for yourself in the hydro baths and showers.

Food and beverage – In the current state of “soft opening”, there are only really 1.5 restaurants. Good mixture of food. We were pleased since they are not officially opened. The options will expand as the resort grows.

All inclusive – You do have the option for either part of your stay or all of it. We chose all of our stay and were pleased. Our alcohol consumption alone paid off. Even though “tips” were part of the AI package, we normally tipped 10% or the tax for good service.

Service – Everyone at the property is eager to please and they do it well. They will know you and you will get to know them….you can tell they have a passion for their jobs. Two areas of improvement, we really did not have any beach service or pool service from the bar. We had to go up and order our drinks & food each time we wanted something. My suggestion is that they put a direct phone line from the beach to the bar. And lastly, for some reason VDP did not build a swim up bar at the main pool…so there is no sitting in the water under the hot Baja sun sipping a cool margarita. IMHO I think this was a major oversight!!

Activities – VDP does have an in-house (free) activities and Wild Loreto (on site concession) for paid excursions. See my review on Wild Loreto as we spent three days diving with them.

Long range plans for VDP – In our presentation we learned that there will be an 18 hole golf course, private residents located on the hill, accommodations on the beach and a beach club. My wife and I feel that this may spoil the beauty of the area…so if you like a secluded, quite resort on the water… go now before it becomes built up.

Over all, my wife and I give VDP Loreto 3.5 stars…not quite worthy of 4 stars just yet, but no doubt it will be five stars when everything is up to speed.

Room Tip: try and get a one bedroom suite...not all rooms face have an ocean view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SpazCat
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Spent 1 week at the new resort in Loreto on the beach. The service was amazing, the grounds were beautiful and the water was just wonderful. We were staying in a basic room as we were staying there on a promotional offer. Our room was quiet large with a lovely kitchen area and a huge deck with a beautiful view of the pool and bay. The staff was some of the most helpful and friendly staff we've encountered in a resort setting. There were lots of free activities and lots of fun tours to purchase. The only two drawbacks were the 45 minute (free) shuttle ride into town 3 times a day and the limited dining options at the resort.

Room Tip: It appeared that all the rooms are good. Everyone we talked to while we were there were happy with t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MiaCyprus
Reviewed July 9, 2012

VDP Loreto is a gem on the Baja coast. All of the positive reviews rang true here. I agree with everybody who reviews this resort as 5 stars, it truly is. Thus I just want to point out the very best things I experienced about this wonderful place.

1. Ler Medina is the man! He is the Rooms Division Manager and he made sure we were comfortably accommodated from the start. We had a gorgeous room with an amazing view and I cannot thank him enough for setting us up. When you arrive please ask for him and he will do his very best to make sure you're happy with your room. And throughout our stay as we passed each other he made sure everything was good. At the end of our stay I was out of cash and when we drove off I wish I had tipped him generously. If you deal with him he's worth a nice tip at the end so please keep this in mind!

2. Front Lobby Staff was Excellent to deal with. Very helpful and friendly and explained everything fully.

3. Housekeeping Staff seemed to do an excellent job.

4. Kids club ladies were amazing with our child. Angie and Yasmine were so wonderful with our boy and they did some fun kids activities with him, giving us parents a much needed break every so often.

Overall we had a very nice time here, relaxing in Loreto. It was hot so apply lots of sunscreen!

Muchas Gracias Villa Del Palmar!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank BdogLA
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here on a promotion for four days in mid June - all inclusive in exchange for our agreeing to attend a 90-minute time-share presentation. We have stayed in two other VDP properties, and this is by far the nicest. It's a bit out of the way, so we didn't ever take the 45-minute shuttle ride into the town of Loreto (we booked a hotel in town for another four days after VDP, so didn't feel the need to explore during our stay at the resort).

The resort is set in a starkly beautiful area on the Sea of Cortez, and although I have never considered myself a "desert person," I was entranced by the natural beauty of the islands and surrounding mountains. The play of sunlight on the landscape over the course of the day and into the evening is truly enchanting.

The resort is still in progress - not finished, but certainly plenty of room to relax and enjoy the great service. I think it was only about an eighth full, so we had the public areas almost to ourselves at times. The swimming pools are massive and quite lavish. The hot tub has a capacity of 44 ... big! The condo we stayed in was just a studio, but had a large balcony with a great view of the pools and the sea beyond. Service was stellar - our room was always made up perfectly, the staff at the restaurants and poolside were friendly and attentive.

Although there are only two restaurants currently open (an upscale steakhouse-type restaurant is supposed to be coming soon), we never ran out of delicious choices. Lunch is served at a small beach-side outdoor venue, and buffet breakfast and dinner at a larger restaurants. I can imagine if the resort were full, there would be long waits for service, but as it stood, we were always seated as soon as we arrived.

The resort also has daily activities - we took part in a free kayak session, and a free stand-up paddle lesson. Fun. We wanted to take an evening sailboat ride - there was a charge for this - but both times we booked it, the wind came up, causing the trip to be canceled for safety reasons. The beach is nothing to write home about, but the views out to the islands are amazing. There are hammocks and firepits along a promenade facing the sea, a perfect place to share a glass of wine and watch the ever-changing colors as the sun goes down.

The time-share presentation was pretty low key - and once we completed it the morning after our arrival, we were not approached again. personally I doubt I would ever want to buy a time share anywhere, but if I did, this might be the place I'd choose.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Trencita_12
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We took our trip in June due to a promotional offered to owners of timeshares with the Villa Group. It was a very hot time of year to travel but the property is lovely and the area is absolutely awesome. We went island hopping and saw star fish, beautiful coves with sky blue water and came back with a school of dolphins. This resort is definitely far away from any town but the resort provides shuttle service to go to town (which we did not do). We used their all inclusive meal plan which was very good. We own in Puerto Vallarta at the Nuevo Flamingos which is part of the Villa Group, and I must say that i prefer that resort; however, this was a nice introduction to Loreto.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family