“Beautiful Resort, worst customer service I have ever scene” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of CostaBaja Resort & Spa

CostaBaja Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in La Paz
Barrie, Canada
“Beautiful Resort, worst customer service I have ever scene”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

We just came back from spending a week there a very beautiful resort, but I would like to share our experience and our guests experience with Costa Baja Resort, which was the worst and most disgusting customer service we have ever experienced.

We booked our transportation to pick up our guests in Los Cabos to come to our wedding at Costa Baja resort. We paid transportation in full, and on the day that the transportation was to pick up our guests did not even show up at the airport, and left our guests stranded in Los Cabos. They had to find a taxi that cost them over $300.00. No one bothered to contact me that my guests did not have the transportation that we setup for them. I called down that morning to check to make sure they got picked up and they told me there was a mix up and the transportation did not show up. I went down to the front desk with my wife and mother in-law to speak with the General Manager Eduardo, and he refused to help us or even check to see if they could confirm if my guests where picked up. Instead h just kept saying it was not his problem and was budget the transportation companies mistake. We insisted that he at least call budget to find out what happened and he closed the door in my mother in-laws face. We did end up getting a refund after going back and forth with Karen the staff there.

2. The Condos we booked where all suppose to be 3 bedroom condos which was stated on our invoices and confirmed many times over the phone. When we checked in to our condos there was only one condo with 3 bedrooms and the rest where 2 bedrooms which would not accommodate our guests. We spent over 2 hours arguing with the front desk, and the manager would not take responsibility that they made a mistake. They finally got us 2 other three bedrooms, but left us with 1 two bedroom condo which had to have some of our guests sleep on the couch. From there when we checked out we had got a promotion of pay 2 nights get one free, which 1 of the condos was booked a month after the other ones and originally they said the promotion was over and the would not give us the 3rd night free. After speaking with them on the phone on Feb. 19th they adjusted it giving us the 3rd night free. When we went to check out on Tuesday they charged us for the additional night even after showing proof that there staff approved the 3rd night free with the invoice that had the date on it that clearly only charged us for 2 nights. The Front desk Manager Sylvain Parvy said that he would not change it and we had to pay for the 3 nights. The only thing he would offer is to give us the promotion if we ever came back to the resort, which makes no sense at all when he stated that promotion was over and would not give it to us for the one that was booked. Also the night before when we went down to review the bill with them and saw that error and another staff member told us that they made a mistake and would change it, then the next day when we went to check out even with the invoice that we had from before and the adjustment they made, Luis the front desk staff that was checking us out was rude and said that he would not do it for us and to show proof and when I showed the proof he went to the back and told Sylvain and he came out and would not honor it.

I spent more then 4 hours of my vacation in the lobby arguing with the staff, it was a nightmare of an experience. We are not difficult people we only wanted what we where told, our wedding was a total nightmare because of the staff at Costa Baja. There where a few people that worked on the resort that where helpful Karla was very helpful, Felipe the valet parking guy when we where going through all the problems he was there to try to help us in anyway he could.

Like I said beautiful resort, but the staff is terrible, have no communication skills and don't honor there promotions they advertise.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Randy E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
San Diego,CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

This place is really serene. If you want to relax, eat great food, and be well attended to then look no further. If you want to people watching, connect with new travel friends, or do anything other than zone out then skip this place. I been here two years ago for a day visit and it was just as quiet so I knew what to expect this visit. In some ways it was eerily quite and beside wait staff was the only person at the pool for hours. At the beach, I was one of three. In late afternoon, there are about 20 people at the beach club. The marina was equally quiet and we went there to scuba with FunBaja located in the marina. The food and drinks were great at hotel, marina restaurant, and beach club. Prices are equal to US resorts.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Kinrooi, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

I stayed at this resort for 4 nights on 3 different occasions in april 2014. The standard rooms are nice. Only strange thing is the glass shower, which is situated in the middle of the room. The layout of the hotel is very nice and spaciaous. It has 2 adjacent Marina's and some beachvillas in front of the hotel. One of the Marinas has some restaurants and shops aside it, as well as condos.

From the hotel it is a short stroll over a sandy beach to the excellent beachclub. The beachclub has an infinity pool looking out over the bay of la Paz. The food served in the bar/lounge & restaurant here was very nice. In the hills opposite to the hotel there is a golfcourse. From the clubhouse you have a phenomenal view of the entire resort.

Service at the resort was great. The staff will serve you're every need. When we got picked up from the airport by the hotel staff it took me 5 minutes to arrange a whaleshark tour the next day (I can highly recommend the tour with Fun Baja). They even have people driving you around the resort in golfcarts if you're feeling lazy. Only downside i can mention here was the checkin desk. I took them forever to check people in, and on my frist visit we arived at 12 noon and couldn't get to our room until 17:00 (it was very busy because of a triathlon, but still).
The location of the hotel might be a problem for some people. It is very secluded, and lies about 5 miles outside of town, but the hotel has a shuttle service every hour and a taxi cost about $8.

In summary : Great hotel, great service, just have a bit of patience with checking in.......

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ruksma
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

The Beach Club setting is beautiful but the food and service mediocre. We were the only customers and it took too long to get a cup of coffee and refills weren't offered until our meal was served. The huevos rancheros was very basic. With tip it was $48 for three people. For twice that amount we had a spectacular gourmet dining experience at Azul Marino along the marina. I think most people are careful how they spend their money these days....this was not the case. Guess they don't need the business.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hugh and Barb T
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

Wow, what a little gem in La Paz. The staff are wonderful, the grounds beautiful, and the balcony view we had from our sea / Marina view king room was gorgeous. The food was also very good with several restaurant choices in the area. The room's frosted glass shower was located in plain view in the bedroom which was a bit odd but as long as you are are a couple that gets along it shouldn't be an issue. If you're travelling with kids or friends though it could be an issue. We noticed a bit of wind noise in the hallways which we could hear in our room. The hotel appears to be designed to take advantage of wind to cool things down. I found the beds to be on the firm side.

It is a bit out of town so travelling does require a cab.

We loved the beach club - plenty of lounge chairs available in the shade with the pool overlooking the sea. We didn't have to get up early and reserve a chair with a towel like you have to do at so many resorts. What a nice change. Also a very nice pool bar.

Great internet connection!

We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rod_D123
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed at CostaBaja for the last 3 nights of our 9 day Baja Sur trip. We were coming from Magdalena bay and was looking forward to relaxing at a nice resort for our last leg. The place is beautiful and the staff, wonderful. Clean rooms, comfortable beds and a big shower head. Minor issues: a light was out in the vanity area and we wished the water pressure was stronger.

The entire staff was friendly and helpful and most of them (front desk, bell hop/valet & concierge) spoke English. I only encountered a minor issue with a representative on the phone when she was, for some reason, unable to help me with changing my reservation before we arrived. She kept asking me to do it over the internet. Anyways. I called later in the day and another representative was more knowledgeable.

The reason I am giving them 4 stars instead of 5 is because 2 of my 3 children woke up one morning extremely sick. They were vomiting and one developed a fever. In reading other reviews from people who stayed there about 3 weeks ago, it sounds like other people also got sick during that time. We ate at the Japanese restaurant at the Marina several times and loved the food there - fresh sashimi, great rolls! However, we didn't think it was the restaurant. We suspect that it was the pool that got our children sick. My other child, who did not get sick, did not swim in the pool which my husband said was "not that chlorinated!"

Housekeeping had to come in several times to clean our room and change our bedding. Magma and Celia did a wonderful job cleaning out our room, making sure there were no lingering smells. Estrella in concierge and Jonathon in valet/bell hop were also very helpful and went above and beyond to make our stay as best as it could be under the circumstances. Estrella was able to ask the hotel chef to make an off-the-menu, non-Mexican, item for my sick children who wanted nothing else. It was so good, we ordered another one!

This resort hotel is situated in a beautiful master planned luxury community, with its own marina, golf course, condos, casitas, a convenient store and medical center. My child who did not swim in the pool, did not swim because he was stung by a sting ray at a local beach that morning. Because of that, we saw the on-call medic. The doctor spoke some English and took care of my son well.

Again, all the staff were friendly and helpful. We would love to stay there again. I just hope they figure out what is causing people to get sick and fix it!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank explrwtots
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely recommend this place. Gorgeous grounds, fun beach club, beautiful pools, sparkling clean rooms. Every staff member was so helpful. The breakfast buffet is a great value and the food is fresh and delicious. Clean and wide white sand beach makes for nice strolling by the turquoise waters of the bay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple