“Beautiful and relaxing”

CostaBaja Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in La Paz
Reviewed February 26, 2014

The resort is stunning and the staff are the best I have ever come across. We stayed in one of the cheaper rooms in the hotel (golf course view), it was huge but no bath, instead there was a massive glass shower in the middle of the room - a bit odd but we got used to it! The bed was extremely comfortable and the fridge and safe were welcome facilities. Our balcony looked out to the golf course, it got no sun but the weather was hot so that was probably a blessing. The hotel swimming pool was lovely but we particularly liked the beach club (only a 5 min walk). It was stunning and had great facilities. We went up to the golf club for breakfast one morning, it was a great change of scenery as the view was fantastic! We had a hire car so managed to get around easily (although the driving was a rare experience!) but there is a free shuttle into La Paz. The only negative is that we felt the resort was missing a few things, there was a minimart the other side of the marina but it was poorly stocked and there was no gift shop or coffee shop in the hotel. Overall we had a lovely, relaxing stay and were very sad to leave.

Room Tip: The golf course view rooms were quiet but no sun on the balcony. We viewed a suite and it was love...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We just spent six nights at this resort. Overall, we would come back and we would recommend to friends. There are some serious and not so serious errors. First of all, the. Desk staff speaks only Spanish. A bit weird for a hotel that is full of Americans. The rooms are mostly the same, rather small the difference being the view and the type of bed or beds you want. Yes, the shower is right next to one of the beds and lacks privacy, if that is an issue. There is no refrigerator!! They really don't want you to have food in the rooms. No hair conditioner, no shower cap. Very slow make up of the rooms daily. The pools are only 4 feet deep, but ok for casual swimming. The lap pool not so good for serious swimmer, lacks water calming lips. Small gym, but not usually crowded. Beach is nice but small and man made. Nice beach club for drinks and lunch. Good facilities bay that pool for sunning or reading in the shade. Three very good restaurants. Steinbecks, on site. Elegant dining, Expensive. Excellent tequila selection and also great food. Two restaurants nearby In the marina, Italian one very good food, drinks, etc at a reasonable price. Another, Azul, more casual but also good food and drinks. Also a nice resident cat who is happy to eat your gifts. The bellboys will drive you to any of these places. Very accommodating. The golf club has the best view and you should go up there for a drink and to view the beautiful sunsets. Just remember to arrive before 6, when the bar closes. The resort itself lacks a great sunset views because of the way the buildings are situated. The spa was ok, we had a package which included massages. If you like to sit by the pool and read electronic books, beware, as the signal outside is weak and at least for me was frustrating when suddenly what I was reading blanked out. The buffet breakfast was excellent. Lots of fruit and the usual stuff along with Mexican specialties that were very good. Try to get that in your package rate as well. There are great beaches less than a half hours drive away. The town of lapaz is about 15 minutes

Room Tip: 3&4floors are better. Rooms with pool view better, but cost more.
Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Portland_OregonGrrrr
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I have not even arrived at this resort yet and already things are falling apart. I was told when I called that I could book thru the hotel or expedia (whatever I wanted). Prices are different on different sites. I was very clear in asking the girl at the front desk, with whom I have talked to several times now, if the transfer from Cabo was complimentary. She assured me it was. I am now being told it is $500.00. If I had been told this from the beginning, I would have booked thru their website. Unfortunately, I have already paid for the stay and there is going back. So disappointed that the Costa Baja resort has employees reaffirming things that are not true. I questioned the "complimentary service" on two different phone calls and was told the same thing. No looking forward to be more disappointment!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank candrie
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I have such a mixed review, it's unclear where to start. First, the good spots of our week:

The facilities are beautiful. We stayed in a super suite, well worth the money. The price of everything has been half of what we paid for our hotel in San Jose del cabo last year (Hilton). The room itself was enormous, with a giant patio, shower that was partially outside, great toiletries.

There are some really great people on staff, like the concierge Origami, the girl she was training (sorry did not get her name), and Jonathan, who helpfully drove the kids to the beach club in a golf cart pretty much every day.

We took a great boat trip through Funbaja, a very friendly outfit in the marina here. You can go see whale sharks or go out to the island, highly recommended.

The men went on a golf outing, which was highly regarded by all of them, and they all remarked on how fabulous the course was.

We ate at most of the places on offer, except Steinbeck's, and we enjoyed all of our meals. Azul had great ceviche, Barcaccia had great pastas and pizza, and we all loved the breakfast buffet. Again, very reasonably priced.

Which leads me to a major downside of my review..of the 13 in our party, at this writing, and we still have a day here to go....six of us have had some type of food borne illness. We were thinking "maybe we are passing a virus amongst us" until we met another group at the hotel beach club, who had a few of their party suffer the same thing. They only had eaten at resort restaurants, Azul, Barcaccia and the Beach Club. This has really put a damper on the vacation, and cast a pall over this place, as we are all nervous to eat, and wondering who will get sick next. Luckily it does not last long.

Besides getting sick, there are a few rough patches to this place, like free bottled water upstairs but a charge for the same water in the restaurant below, literally 100 feet away from each other. Or, a complete mix up on our bill of menu items. Also, when we arrived here, we had reserved a suite to accommodate 5 people, but they had placed us in a smaller one, even though I had confirmed by email, since I saw an earlier review which mentioned a reservation screwup. The email I received assured me we were in a suite with 2 king beds, but when we arrived, not the case, and the room was occupied. So, for the first night, part of our party was in a smaller suite, the other in a standard room. The extra room was no charge. Upside, we saw two suites, both spectacular. Downside, I had to cut my afternoon short to be back to move things And, the room was not ready to move in to until 5 pm. None of this is a big deal, but coupled with the illness afflicting so many of us, I have to say I would skip this place and stick to the Hilton in Cabo next time. Seeing my sick 9 year old son cry because he was ill and could not go on the boat outing others were going on was not a fun way to spend a vacation day.

I didn't even know how to rate this place, and felt a little sad to give it a poor review, because it is so nicely designed and frankly amazingly beautiful and peaceful. However, I felt obligated to pass on the food issue, since I would want others to do the same.

Room Tip: The super suite is fabulous and accommodates a family very well. Patio alone is the size of a standa...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Angewaa
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I spent 2 nights at the CostaBaja. The staff was very helpful, especially Alejandra. She arranged for transportation from the airport to the hotel and even though my airplane was an hour late at around midnight the driver was still there for me. The rooms are quite nice, and I had a beautiful view from my room. It was pleasant having morning coffee on the balcony before breakfast. They provide free transportation into La Paz which was a plus because the hotel is north of the town center. I had dinner at Steinbeck's, and it was excellent. The pool at the hotel is very nice and the Beach Club is beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone going to La Paz.

Room Tip: I had room 427 in a smaller, quieter section of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank James I
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

I'm a very frequent traveler with high expectations. Traveled with my wife for this trip not knowing what to expect. Here are the strengths and weaknesses.
STRENGHTHS:
- New and we'll apointed resort hotel. Modern decor..Even the soap, shampoos, etc were unique and great.
- Amazing view from our room (203)
- 7 great restaurants within the complex.
- Beach Club access included and it is AMAZING, great food, service, equipment rentals, ameneties, umbrellas and beach chairs, and most of all next to the crystal clear water. GREAT service from Juan Carlos!
- Fun Baja within complex for tours and activities. Swimming with whale sharks an experience to never forget.
- Gary Player Golf course is absolutely stunning, in great shape and filled with scenic and memorable holes. I have played all over the world. Amongst the best I played in Mexico.
- Well planned Marina on site.
- Kid friendly staff
- Great concierge (Origami she is great)
- This place was built with several decades in mind and you can tell it will grow in ameneties and popularity.
- In my opinion, unless you are looking for cheap drinks and crazy partying, you are better of coming to La Paz vs Cabo. It truly is amazing.

WEAKNESSES:
- Staff is still learning and with few exceptions, they are slow to respond to requests. Ex. When you call for service or when requesting something at the lobby. As a bonus I missed my tee time due to a delay from the shuttle, so call 20-30 mis before you plan to leave to be safe.
- Check-in required us to wait 1.5 hrs for the room.
-They seemed to have a shortage or a delay getting fresh towels every day we were there.
- Room service menu is somewhat limited.
- Less than a mile away there is a fuel storage depot where tankers deliver fuel. No impact to the experience, but an eye sore.
- All pools were a bit on the cold side.
- No jacuzzi on hotel, but there is one at the beach club.

Overall this is a gem of a hotel surrounded by stunning natural beauty. No doubt in my mind it will be a great mega resort destination in a few years. For now it's a beautiful secret that is worth repeating. I certainly cannot wait to come back.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Handsetguru
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I note with interest that of the handful of very negative reviews, almost all are fairly dated -- which tells me that they've cleared up whatever problems they may have had here a couple years ago. My wife and I are just finishing up a five-night stay at CostaBaja with another couple. We all found it outstanding. Great personal service at the front desk, by the parking valets, by the concierge, by the waiters in the restaurants - absolutely everyone we dealt with was eager to help. The property is extensive, very well designed, and in great shape, with all sorts of amenities. The food in both restaurants we ate at here was excellent. The biggest complaint we can think of -- and we tried hard -- was that one day there was only one towel in the room. When I said we needed another, housekeeping showed up in about five minutes with several more. Management has done a terrific job here.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple