“We love staying at Posada LunaSol”

Posada LunaSol Hotel
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in La Paz
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The staff are welcoming, helpful, and friendly. The hotel is kept very clean and the staff are trustworthy. I like the proximity to the marina, malecon, and several restaurants. We found this to be a great place to stay because we had the option of cooking some of our own meals. In the evening its wonderful to sit on the upstairs patio and watch the sunset over the bay. Rumor has it there are exciting plans for constructing an addition to the hotel. See you again!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear repeat guest,
Your review here is greatly appreciated! We do have plans to put in a pool and an additional 3 rooms this spring/summer of 2014 so stay tuned indeed....
Thanks for pointing out our hotel's assets and for being a regular guest of ours at our hotel in La Paz.
Ciao,

Reviewed December 26, 2013

What a great place for a family vacation. The hotel is quaint, but has all the amenities. It's a great place to meet other people from all over the world.
If you can make sure you do some trips with the hotels adventure travel company, Mar y Aventuras.

Room Tip: This is a small hotel, so all the rooms are great.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thanks for your lovely review! We are glad to hear how much you enjoyed our quaint little hotel in La Paz with your family. Stay tuned as we have plans to put in a pool this coming year so it will be even more enticing for families. Happy New Year,
Cheers,

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I spent 3 nights at this hotel, i was woken up by some sort of construction noise every day around 7:30am. The hotel expect the guests to be very quiet after 10pm, there is a sign warning to eject people who make noise after 10pm. Cleaning staff not friendly at all. Front desk staff were exceptional. The cleaning staff expect you to use 1 small piece of soap during your entire 3 day stay. MOSQUITOS were vicious.

Room Tip: I thought it was worth to pay a bit more to stay near the city core.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thanks for your review. Our housekeeping staff are both lovely ladies and I know they, as well as our front desk personnel, would have gladly given you another bar of soap during your stay if you simply asked.
Our neighbors are building a house so yes, there is some construction noise during the day at this time near only a few rooms and for that we apologize.
We put the signs around asking guests to respect a 10PM quiet curfew because we had some problems with folks partying on the rooftop palapa terrace long ago. Since we put up the signs, no problems.
I was just at our hotel for a month in November and never encountered any mosquitoes??
I'm glad you at least found our front desk staff exceptional, as they are indeed!
All our best,

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Wonderful stay at the Posada LunaSol Hotel in La Paz. Reasonably priced accommodation with a community kitchen, wonderful upper deck for lounging and a super friendly staff. But if you're in La Paz, you really need to use this hotel as a staging place for a fantastic kayaking trip with MarYAdventures!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Thanks Sockeyefran for choosing to use our hotel as a staging place for your trip to Espiritu Santo Isalnd. This is most certainly our specialty, catering to folks who want nice accommodations AND guidance to sea kayaking, whale watching or snorkeling trips to the surrounding areas.
Thanks for posting your review on TA!

Reviewed November 22, 2013

This is not a high end hotel but it is a great place to stay! The staff is super friendly and very bilingual.The rooms are large and super clean. The open air kitchen is spacious and well appointed. There is a large common area on the third floor to hang out, socialize, exercise or swing in a hammock.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear guest,
You summed up our hotel to a T! Greatly appreciated and we hope we can host you again someday when visiting La Paz.
Ciao,

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Charming & "Artsy" Inn”

This was our first visit to La Paz, which we visited in hopes of doing a whale shark excursion. Since our first 4 nights were at a resort in Cabo San Lucas, we wanted something inexpensive and preferably un-chain-like. After considering 2 other places, I decided on Posada Luna Sol a couple of weeks in advance based on traveler reviews, the price, and the fact that it was where we had to report for our whale shark excursion (although the excursion meeting place wasn't a major factor since we were renting a car). According to a staff member who was looking at upcoming bookings, they were full the week after our stay, so we really were lucky to get a room, I think.

Since I had received excellent directions via email, it helped us find the inn without problems, despite some reviews indicating the sign was hard to notice. Since we were on the lookout for it, it really wasn't hard to spot at all. Although you drive into an alley upon the approach, it opens up into a parking area at the rear of the posada - though it is actually the main entrance.

As soon as we went up the stairs I felt certain we had made the right choice for our stay! The inn is decorated in sort of a modest but artsy and chic way, with lots of color. (Some decor magazines would call it shabby-chic, though nothing is shabby. It's very clean and a little bit quaint in a good way. If you like charm and things a bit out of the ordinary, I think you will really like it! Our room (and the whole inn) was very clean and the beds quite comfy - slightly firm but not too hard and not too soft. (Hmmm. Sounds like I am reading "The Three Bears"!) I LOVED the colorful spreads and I think the pillows were real down. A/C is controlled by a thermostat in each room but the windows were open when we arrived as it was not that hot. However, we did find we needed the a/c on and it cooled well. Our room had 2 beds, w/a sink inside the room, with toilet and shower in the bathroom. Our room was w/out a balcony (there are rooms that have one but those are a bit pricier). Still, there was a corridor with one wall open to the outside- almost like a long balcony - between our room and the communal kitchen area if you want to sit outside w/out going upstairs.. Plus there is a very pleasant terrace (w/a hammock!) on the top floor. A large portion of it is shaded - covered by/a roof, but there is also an exercize bike and something else - a treadmill, maybe? - along w/some more seating. You can get a nice glimpse of the sea and rooftops from up there, and I hung out in the hammock the afternoon we arrived (Halloween!) for a while after we got there as it was balmy with a nice breeze. It's a nice place to chat quietly with friends, read, or just hang out.

Though our room was on the same floor as the communal kitchen, the kitchen was well away from it and we didn't hear any noise from those using it. There are signs around the inn informing guests that quiet time starts at 10 p.m. That just means not to play your t.v. too loudly, get too rowdy, or do other things that might disturb other guests. We didn't have any problems w/noise from other guests and everyone seemed to respect the rule. I will mention, however, that on the property next door, someone was apparently rehabbing and we did hear some hammering on and off on a limited basis. The staff at Posada Lunasol did not hesitate to finally go tell the person to stop when it continued at times during the evening. It's not as bad as, say, construction going on with power tools (like sometimes happens at large resorts when they are updating rooms or something) and I am sure this was temporary. I am usually easily irritated by such things, but it wasn't bad IMO.

Although we didn't really need the kitchen as we ate our meals out, on the morning of our checkout, another guest had left a large half loaf of Pan de Muerto (bread of the dead) and some chopped cantelope and pineapple for whoever wanted it as they had checked out. (I did eat some and it was good! Guess I should mention here that we were there during the Dia de Muerto holiday, which is just after Halloween.)

I had an issue w/a hotel booking that needed to be straightened out. It was causing me some stress and I needed to use a phone. There are no phones in the rooms at Posada LunaSol, but Belem, the proprietress (very kind and very sweet) helped me out and placed the call for me from the front desk. In addition, I left something behind when we checked out. When I checked my email from our next hotel in Cabo San Lucas late in the afternoon, there was already one from Belem letting me know she had the item. She has put forth effort to try and get the item back to me, which I appreciate. (Most other hotels would have waited for me to contact them at best.) The entire staff was very pleasant as well.

That about sums things up. I would not hesitate to recommend Posada Luna Sol and would stay there again in a heartbeat! (My rating of this accommodation takes into consideration the value, decor and cleanliness and comfort of the property. In other words, I do believe it's an excellent property; not a 5 star in the way you'd consider one of the world's top hotels.)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mlbcruiser
outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Dear Guest,
What a perfect and very detailed assessment of our hotel! Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of our little hotel in La Paz. I think this statement sums up our hotel perfectly;
"If you must have the usual chain hotel-type room or require 5 star ammenities, this is not the place for you. If you want a friendly yet unobtrusive attitude from the staff that is willing to go the extra mile when necessary, and like non- cookie cutter rooms that reflect the locale, this is a great little inn and the price is right!"
Thanks again, we really appreciate your patronage and the time you took to write this review. Come visit us again....

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed here for four nights while our sailboat was in the boatyard, 1 block away. I had contacted the hotel in advance and toured the property and individual rooms before making my reservations. My stay on the 3rd floor, room 10, was perfect for me. The property is quiet and in a great location. There is a large communal kitchen which may appeal to some guests. For me, I was able to store some personal food items in both freezer and fridge which was very handy. All the staff are helpful and considerate. I was in and out many times during the day; The cleaning staff are always present, either cleaning rooms, or the common areas.
This is a good value, gem of a place for those looking for a simple but clean hotel in La Paz, away from the Malecon, but within walking distance to all of the downtown - Malecon areas.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: There are two levels of rooms, as well as three casitas (slgihtly larger) on the ground level near t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,
Thanks so much for this comprehensive detailed description of our hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us while your boat was out of the water. We look forward to being your hosts again someday....