“Owner Ricardo is a very charming man!”

Posada LunaSol Hotel
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in La Paz
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have a home in Loreto. From now on, when I need to overnight in La Paz to do banking, immigration or shopping chores, Posada LunaSol is my new "home away from home"!

I spent a restful and quiet night at the Posada, which is quite conveniently located for my business contacts. The staff is friendly and helpful and the Posada is kept extremely clean.

The staff also directed us to the best local restaurant for breakfast, as well as the new Chedraui superstore.....and what a pleasure it was to find desired gourmet foods to bring home to Loreto with me.

I'll be back in October!

Room Tip: Room 11 has a nice kitchenette
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear Guest,
It's so nice to hear you have a "home away from home" in La Paz with us! Thanks for taking the time to comment on our convenient location and clean rooms as well as my partner's charm!
We look forward to being your home in La Paz while doing business in the future.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is like stepping into a very charming private house with open verandas in the front. The rooms are all brightly painted with pretty typical Mexican furnishings - Talavera sinks, tiled mirrors, bright bedcovers. All along the open verandas and the staircases are pots of different kinds of plants which all add to the welcoming ambience. One thing we noticed is that the windows and doors of the unoccupied rooms are kept open during the day. The rooms and the bathrooms are quite big, and the beds are sturdy and comfortable. The washstand in our room was outside the bathroom. It had a large square tiled mirror, which, unfortunately was hung too high. I am 5 feet 2 inches and I could hardly see the top of my head in this mirror. There is a small table with two chairs and a short armoire for clothes storage. There is a communal kitchen with refrigerator and some exercise equipment in the open veranda on the third floor. The location of the Posada is great as it is walking distance to the Malecon (the boardwalk), and some interesting restaurants.

However, a problem was encountered when we had to close the windows during the night. It was a very breezy night and the wind was whipping and blowing hard. The place has a plumbing problem. The room is suddenly filled with sewage stench. We tried closing the door of the bathroom, but then when you have to go in it in the middle of the night, the stench hits you like a wall. The only choice was not to breathe. We tried pouring water into the drain, but it was a very short respite. I believe this is why the windows and doors of the rooms are kept open during the day. When you check in, the room is totally refreshed and you don't get a whiff of the bad smell. But come bedtime, it permeates the whole room to the point of gagging and suffocation. I don't know how the other guests were able to stand it, or not mention it in their reviews. According to one of the girls who does the room, it is an old and ongoing problem. Too bad really, because I think it is something that is easy enough to fix. Without this problem, this could have been a truly outstanding place and great value.

Room Tip: The rooms are all generally good, I don't know if there is one that is free from the sewage stin...
1  Thank cot2ntail
outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thanks for taking the time to convey your experience with us. Comments, positive or negative, are how we improve our business.
I'm glad you found our hotel ambiance charming. As for the foul smell I am very sorry it precluded you from enjoying your stay with us.
I lived in the hotel for many years and I can tell you these things about this smell;
#1. Other guests haven't complained because it's not common or present in all the rooms but rather a rare occurrence in only a couple rooms. I would like to know what room you were in?
#2. The smell comes and goes in only a couple rooms from time to time depending on the winds.
#3. We have had MANY consultants here to try and figure out how to rid these rooms of this occasional smell, unfortunately to no avail. We've put one way valves in the drains and put rubber stoppers in the showers to cover the drain hoping this would be the solution.
#4. This smell is prevalent throughout La Paz in various locations so it's a city problem NOT a plumbing problem in our hotel.
#5. Housekeeping leaves unoccupied rooms' doors open during the day simply as a matter of convenience as they go in and out. It has nothing to do with this smell as we've experienced the smell during daytime hours as well.
#6. If there was an "easy" way to fix this problem, as you suggest, please be assured we would have solved it MANY years ago. I truly wish this was the case.
I am very sorry you had the misfortune of experiencing what sounds to have been the worst case of this smell I've heard of so far in our 12 years in business.
We will continue to search for a solution to this problem. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel is not right in the center of things, but it is not too far away. During busy times, it is probably nice to be out of the noise a bit. The hotel staff spoke excellent English and were very helpful and accommodating. The rooms were large and clean, and the rooftop terrace is a nice place to relax and have a drink after a hard day travelling. Don't miss the whale watching trips that leave from the hotel through Mar y Aventuras!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Posada Lunasol is in a great location, near the Malecon but a few blocks away so is quieter at night. Great Mexican decor. Clean and spacious with lots of storage space. very safe and friendly. there is a common kitchen for guests to use and a really nice terrace upstairs with some workout equipment, lounge chairs and hammock overlooking a bit of an ocean view. wonderful staff. I hope to return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Guest,
We greatly appreciate you taking the time to post this nice review of our hotel in La Paz. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and spacious rooms and hope to host you again someday while in La Paz. Thanks so much for your patronage and pleasant comments!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed here the night before our Whale Trip with Mar y aventuras. It was clean and quiet. Rooms are large, and the staff were helpful. Convenient location with parking, Great hotel for the price. There is also a shared kitchen.

Room Tip: Opt for an upper level room for better views
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this review of our hotel in La Paz. We really appreciate your efforts in doing so and are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
All our best,

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed 2 nights before and 1 night after Mar y Adventure trip. Found the hotel to be charming, clean and all personnel friendly and top notch. The staff at the front desk could not have been friendlier or more helpful in finding transportation, questions about the area and clear directions. Great location and close to good restuarants and the Malecon. Comfortable accommodations and good bed. Would recommend to anyone who is going to LaPaz.

Room Tip: Depending on length of stay, the kitchenettes are very nice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Melanie,
A lovely, concise review of our hotel pointing out its best features, thanks so much! We really enjoy hearing from our guests and appreciate your efforts in posting your review on TA!
Cheers,

Reviewed February 23, 2013

This little place doesn't look like much when you arrive - but that impression dissolved quickly. Front reception staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The rooms are simple, clean and cheerful.

The inn is located an approximately 10 minute walk from the end of the La Paz malecon - giving you access to a host of restaurants and shopping diversions.

My only minor gripe was the noise. I seemed to have been the only person at the inn NOT waking up at 7 a.m. -- and the commotion in the hallway was loud and disruptive. Housekeeping even entered at 8 a.m., while I was still in bed. My recommendation: bring earplugs, and remember to put the "do not disturb" on your door.

Beyond that - a great value.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SolrisaR
outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments in regards to your stay with us in La Paz. I apologize you were not able to sleep later in the morning. On the mornings in which we have trips departing it does seem like the majority of clients in the hotel are bustling about getting ready for their departure. In the future you might ask for one of our more out of the way rooms (such as the 3rd floor or the cabanas) which are not so prone to hearing groups as they depart.
Thanks for staying with us, we hope to host you again in La Paz someday.
Best Regards,