“Check your bill carefully”

El Callejon del Guillo
Ranked #96 of 302 Restaurants in La Paz
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast
San Francisco, California
“Check your bill carefully”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I would have given this place a much higher rating if not for the unpleasant experience of being taken for chumps by our waiter.
We stumbled upon this restaurant while looking for a place to eat near the Malecon. The place looked inviting from the outside: open air sitting, pleasant live music, lots of choices on the menu.
I ordered the arrachetta steak and my partner had the chicken enchilada with green sauce. I thought the food was better than average and the prices were very reasonable. My issue was with our waiter who made a few mistakes with our orders. I asked for a Margarita on the rocks with salt, he gave me frozen Margarita without salt. He asked me several times what type of tortillas I prefer with my dish. I repeated my request for corn tortillas each time. It took close to 45 minutes before we finally got our food...I never got my tortillas. When we finally asked for our bill, our waiter exclaimed "I have a surprise for you!" ( his exact words). He brought our bill with 2 small glasses of Tequilla on the house. Nice touch. When we examined the bill, the computer printed total was crossed out and a handwritten total was written below it. The revised total was a little over 30 pesos over what should have been the correct total. We wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it was an honest mistake. But the actual bill was from a cash register and it was intentionally altered. When we pointed this out to our waiter, he did not even bother to review the bill. He readily admitted the "mistake" and charged us for the correct amount. I know that this was a small amount for us "gringos"; we would have tipped him at least that much had he not tried to cheat us. Instead, we left the place with a bitter taste in our mouths. We've traveled in Mexico extensively and I know that a great majority of the locals are scrupulously honest. It is a shame that there are a few bad ones that would take advantage of the tourists who bring their business to the country.

• Visited May 2013

Salem, Oregon
“Great value, great food”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This unpreposessing restaurant & bar is on the pedestrian walkway off the Malecon. They seem to have a daily M$99 special for comida, with selected items from the main menu. Our party of 4 sampled chicken w/ mushrooms, fish in cilantro sauce, nachos (a full meal deal!), huaraches. All plates were prepared very well, service was good, ambiance pleasant. They have not dumbed the food down for norteño tourists. Seems like there may be music and other fun in the evenings.

• Visited February 2013