“Best burger joint in La Paz!”
Review of The Shack

The Shack
Ranked #208 of 308 Restaurants in La Paz
Dining options: Late Night
Description: theshacklapaz@yahoo.com owners: Travis & RosieIt's more than the great burgers, it's the barbeque & Travis's amazing daily specials
Wolcott, Colorado
“Best burger joint in La Paz!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Typical of many restaurants in La Paz, The Shack has an innocuous store-front that opens to a fun, open air restaurant. The setting is somewhat rustic with the menus handwritten on pieces of cardboard. Unlike most restaurants in La Paz, however, the owner appears to be from the US, our waiter was from the US and the menu was in English.
The food was outstanding! It is primarily a burger place, but has other menu items and specials. There was also live music the night we were there.
I would definitely recommend The Shack to anybody craving a great burger!

• Visited March 2013

Running Springs, California
“New choices”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We all know the great burgers Travis has on the menu everyday but for those of us that may not have been there in a while there are a ton of new items on the menu. The biggest and the best has been his barbeque! The ribs are HUGE and MEATY. They are fall-off the bone good with beautiful bark but still super moist. Unfortunately I have learned I can't dine like a Paceno and stroll in at 8:00 pm and expect to try these ribs. They are only available until he sells out but his brisket and sausage combo was dynamite. I had to make a special trip (skipped lunch) to try the ribs but it was soooo worth it. He still has his drunk chicken on certain nights that my wife loves. (Still haven't figured out how he gets the meat to fall off the bone but still be moist). This place has become a personal favorite for us on those nights we're just not in the mood to cook. Of course just the thought of an ice cold Modelo Negro gets me in that mood pretty quick.

• Visited March 2013
Anacortes, Washington
“Great food, good expat company”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

An eccentric establishment a couple of blocks off the malecon, this establishment has a true shack feel, with a great food and fun ownership. Travis and Rosie cater to the expat community and the replants come in droves to enjoy the company of the other fair skinned folk. Like some to the north may cling to their guns and religion, the shack clings to the slightly salty folks that clamber up from their poop decks. The menus are scribbled and recycled cardboard and the seafood trays are served on beer box lids. A great value for fresh well prepared food. The ahoy hour prices are very good but as a newbie yet to earn his stripes, somehow I was charged full fare, costing them a Star but not my heart. The only real gripe is the lack of integration, but Travis says that is beginning to change. At the shack, eccentric behavior is encouraged and a chair is always waiting.

• Visited February 2013
Victoria, Canada
“A Neat Driving Experience”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Had supper there on Feb 21. Truely an adventure with great food. Tis rough and ready and great fun. You start with a menu hand written on piece of cardboard and end feeling happy and stuffed!
Yes, the menu is limited. However the burgers are great value and are mile high. My husband had the mesquite meat loaf which was a great hit. The staff were efficient, friendly and lots of fun.
You may be eating outside with a tarp as a roof.......but relax and enjoy some great food.
We are going back on Sunday for a prawn and crab feast.
AND did I mention the daily Happy Hour when you get Margueritas for 150 pesos. Thats about $1.50 folks and yup.......they are good.
Thanks to server Doug. You made our night fun and memorable.

• Visited February 2013
Mulege, BCS, Mexico
“Just a great place.”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Last Thursday evening I took my daughter and her boyfriend to The Shack for supper, we ordered Shack burgers and several Pacificos. A local jazz guitarist and trumpet player provided the music. The Shack was busy with both expatriates and local Mexicanos. The food, staff, and atmosphere are great and unique, we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. In fact after dropping off my daughter and her boyfriend at the airport in San Jose del Cabo on Sunday I stopped in for supper Sunday evening and had the special which was a crab, shrimp, sausage dish served in beer can flats (cause it is a lot of food), it was amazing. I you want a standard restaurant experience do not even consider The Shack, if you want to have great food, meet great people and a unique experience then The Shack in La Paz is a must.

• Visited January 2013