“CLUB CANTAMAR IS VERY SAFE”

Club Hotel Cantamar
Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in La Paz
Great Falls, Montana, United States
“CLUB CANTAMAR IS VERY SAFE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

I have been diving for 41 years, I am both PADI and NAUI certified and dive all over the world, on a monthly basis. Over the past 12 years I have been on many dives (over 20) with Club Cantamar and have always found their diving practices extremely safe, very professional, and they have always been reliable. I would rate then equally with the best dive operations found anywhere in the United States. I have enjoyed every one of my dive days with them, they always try their best to accommodate, weather it is following a pod of dolphins for 20 minutes, well out of there way to the dive sites, or loaning a piece of diving equipment to a guest that forgot theirs. I have always found their equipment and boats to be in good repair and have never found a short fill in any of the tanks. The dive brief before each of their dives has always been detailed and complete. The diving near La Paz is world class and you can spend several days diving and see something new, different and exciting each day. The boat ride to the dive sites is a wonderful experience, with much to see, and snorkeling for those who don’t scuba dive, a wonderful days outing for the whole family. You will not find a safer or more professional dive operation anywhere. They always go the extra mile for their quests.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Creed E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Please dont stay at this hotel is really really Bad smells like Diesel and they have a big problem with flies. There is no Staff staying after 10pm so if you have an emergency or any issue you will be on your own ( personal experience) its quite a shame cause all the diving staff were awesome the boat aswell.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Alessio P

Travelers are raving about these La Paz hotels

Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

I had so much fun, the dive guide and staff was very kind and I enjoyed every minute of this trip. And boat was very big and comfortable.
I can say without reservation that Cantamar is the clear choice for a safe, fun dive experience in the LaPaz.
I will come back and I am for sure doing scuba diving again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank RunRun2009
Bath
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I have just spent 8 days at Club Cantamar. Having read somewhat mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, we were curious to see what the resort would be like. I have to say, we had a thoroughly enjoyable time!

The room (we had a junior suite) was large and airy, with two large balconies. It was basic, clean and comfortable - the a/c worked well and the bed was very comfy indeed! The resort's restaurant was perfectly fine, serving a good pre-diving breakfast and also reasonable evening meals. The swim-up bar always managed to provide a cold post-dive beer and tequila. The dive operation is excellent - really good dive boats, a very smooth and well-run operation and fantastic divemasters. The boats left pretty much on time in the morning and came back in at the expected time or earlier in the afternoon/evening. The diving itself was excellent and the day on the dive boat extremely enjoyable - the captain always provided a good lunch and the divemasters were all extremely knowledgeable, friendly and passionate about their work. Overall, all the staff at the resort were great - the place has a really friendly, family feel to it.

If you expect a 5-star luxury resort where you can nip off to the Spa, the shops or into town during the day, then Club Cantamar is not for you - it is a resort by divers for divers. However if you want a comfortable stay in a beautiful area with great diving and a very friendly, personal atmosphere, then I can highly recommend this resort. We would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravellerFromBath
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I spent five weeks here with a group of students for a tropical marine biology class. We left the marina on two boat trips, one for the day and an overnight one, and both were great. The food was delicious, and although I only snorkeled, I heard the diving was decent, although visibility was poor at times. The rooms were adequate, and although the showers could have been hotter, our floors were cleaned every day and the beds were nice. The staff went to great lengths to please almost 20 college students, and we ate at the restaurant about twice a day, which was almost always great. I can honestly say I miss the great people there like Alex, Moises, and Pepe. The beach was beautiful, and everytime I snorkeled there, I noticed more and more diversity. I can't wait to spend more time at Cantamar in the future!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views. In the 100 rooms, rooms ending in 1 or 5 have balconies.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dothan, Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

Poor AC in 110 degree weather.Bad restaurant and bar.No water in room on several occasions.
Small pool.Next to ferry marina.No fitness center.
Diving conditions poor.Strong current and poor visibility.
Fishing may be ok?

Room Tip: No good rooms.Lousy hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hotchkiss, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Dear Leonard of Baja Pirates,
I just wanted to write to let you know that our exploration and fishing experiences at La Paz/ Cantamar were more interesting and memorable than we could have imagined. Everyone we met through Baja Pirates were very helpful and pleasant people to work with. Ivan, who was our boat captain was an excellent angler who with all of his years of experience was patient and knowledgeable—a great teacher. He showed us how to spot Dorado and was aggressive in his methods of helping us to catch them. He showed us turtles, and told us the names of the many different fish species we caught such as the needle fish, skip-jack, pargo. The 20+ Lb. skip-jack I caught had to have been the most aggressive fighting fish I have ever brought in. (I grew up on the Columbia river in Washington State and have brought in some mighty big fish but nothing that fought so hard.) The most interesting fish I caught in the Sea of Cortez was the hammerhead shark. I was amazed at the “flocks” of flying fish and marlin we saw. We were also fortunate enough to have a young 18’ whale shark spend about (20) minutes with us exploring our boat one of the days. There are so many fish species I had never seen that if I get the chance to come back someday, I will buy a book to help me identify them, even the ones at the dock. Durand and I fished from shore and caught quite a few different and interesting species as well, some of them edible and some probably not. We released all of them. One of the “pirates” told us that someone had spotted a younger halibut in the bay. The crabs are different than I had had experience with as well. Some were red and some were blue clawed with red or brown bodies. The birds and land plant species were of course like nothing I had ever seen. I didn’t expect cocoa-nut trees, wild plum, or mango trees. The cacti were blooming and amazing as well.
The Cantamar Hotel and restaurant facilities were clean and reasonable. The people that work there are very pleasant and accommodating. The best part is the location, right at the docks and away from the busier town of La Paz. Our drivers were very helpful, humorous and kind people. They helped to make our experience pleasurable and easy.
Leonard, thank you for a wonderful and memorable experience with Baja Pirates. We hope to come back some day to catch a marlin, yellow tail, and a few snapper and some more dorado and skip-jack. I make myself laugh thinking that in order to see and experience everything we would really want to, we might have to spend a year or more down there, but then I’m dreaming. I loved it all!
With sincere gratitude, Karla and Durand Dickman: Colorado