“first time”

Baja Pirates Fishing Fleet
More attraction details
Owner description: Baja Pirates roots began in Alaska then moved to La Paz Mexico in 2000. The Alaskan style of service was retained. We have the largest most modern fleet of American style boats in La Paz and provide only top quality gear(Avet Reels and Ugly stick rods). Fish processing includes vacuume packing and freezing your catch for your trip home. We have added Scuba, Snorkeling, Sea Kayaking, Golf and day tours to offer something for every family member.
Reviewed June 1, 2013

After meeting Leonard my wife and I decided to book four days of fishing and a couple extra days to walk around La Paz. We had heard many stories about Mexican fishing trips. Adjusted our expectations accordingly; after all we were going to "old Mexico". We immediately had to make a major adjustment. First of all we were surprised that Leonard returned out phone calls and e-mails within hours. Two other outfits didn't even bother to reply to our inquiries. Then the La Paz operation. Absolute first class. The ground transportation is new with drivers that spoke excellent English. The boats are well maintained and the fishing gear high end The captains know where the fish are and how to catch them. The hotel was better than expected. All in all it was s fantastic trip. We will be back soon.

1  Thank Skip S
"sardines"
in 5 reviews
"washington state"
in 2 reviews
"treated us like royalty"
"anyone planning"
"paid off"
"vacuum sealed"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed June 1, 2013

All you have to do is get on the plane. Baja Pirates will take care of the rest, including getting you back to the plane. My Husband and I were celebrating our 20th and my 55th. And what a great time we had! Fishing was so much fun, we caught Tuna, Dorado, Rooster (on my list to do) some huge bottom fish, Cabarilla? Our cooler was full for take home. That was a bonus, we have always fly fished for sail fish so this was a treat to get home with 40+lbs of fillet yum. We did 3 days of fishing, 1 day of scuba, jumped off our boat to snorkel, got back on board and caught more fish. Snorkeled off the beach at Cantamar which is where I wanted to stay. So glad we did, had a blast there. They fixed our fish on days were fishing and the menu had everything we could want. It was so nice having our room right by the fishing boats and beach. We kayaked one day from the Cantamar. I know there are other views but we loved our sweet room and where we were. Our host the Pirates kept asking if we wanted to go to town for dinner but we were having to much fun. We onIy went to town once. If you have a good attitude you will have a great time. Thank you Leonard and all the Great Pirates, Glenda K

Reviewed May 22, 2013

La Paz is a beautiful town and probably one of the last places in Mexico that you can still walk around at all hours ,safely. Our trip was very last minute, literally booked the night prior to flying out. I wish i would have taken more time to seek out a better hotel, even though it was part of the package. The hotel location was nice since it was close to the Malecon where you find all the bars/restaurants etc. The hotel itself and staff could have been better, 2 out of the 4days the elevator didn't work at all and there was no one to assist with schlepping our bags/luggage etc.
No water pressure in the rooms etc.. but we were in the room only about 5 hours a day max and that was to sleep.
I didn't expect to catch anything since i was a first timer, i thought id just lay about in the boat and drink, which is okay with me. Our first day thats exactly what happened, came back empty handed. The days that followed were completely different, our Captain Caco took us to different places and we started to get into a good rhythm. My date laughed at how fast the fish were bitting for me. I'd hook the fish, Caco would stabilize it and Henry would reel it in (fish are heavy!). We came back with several yellowtail, large black sea bass and amberjacks (not sure i have the name right).
The boats are top notch and kept very clean, so is all the equipment.
Make sure to byob and any extras since only water and light lunch is provided. The trip was really great and the staff at Baja Pirates are excellent... Caco, Rico, Chanock, Ivan , Pedro and the driver Raul are super cool full of energy and just a pleasure to be around.
This will become a yearly trip.
I definitely wouldn't hesitate to book Baja Pirates, their service is above and beyond what you would find in Mexico or anywhere else.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

As a fly fisherman I'm not interested in targeting exactly the same species as say perhaps those fishing to fill Coolers (which certainly happened as well) and the Captains that we fished with Caco and Ivan (two seasoned veteran Fishermen/Captains) were able to deliver (with a little cooperation from Mother Nature) the most mind boggling fly fishing experience of my life. Don't get me wrong, it certainly was NOT easy! The Roosters are Very Very well adept at picking out their natural fare vs. the furry imitations we were throwing. But persistence paid off and we all caught Large Roosters on the Fly. The service they provide in immediately cleaning and vacuum sealing your catch is absolutely Top Notch. Not hard to fill a cooler with Snapper, Seabass, Mahi Mahi and Yellowfin to name a few. In fact I just had the most delicious Yellowfin Experience of my life for dinner last night, and for breakfast this morning and lunch this afternoon.
Not only do they have a Large Fleet of excellent boats, a full staff of LaPaz' best fishing Captains they also have a very nice Fleet of Vans and Professional Drivers who not only provide Airport shuttle to and from but also pick you up for fishing each day and drive you to dinner each night. Never once had to wait for our drivers. They were tireless and very efficient.

I can hardly wait to get back down there to Fish again! The Food, The weather and the safe friendly atmosphere is what I'm missing most... oh yes and the Rooster Party!!!

See more reviews
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have been fishing in La Paz for the last 10 years. That last 8 years with Baja Pirates. The first 2 trips we had to bring our own equipment, reels, poles and tackle and carry them through the airport and customs. We fished out of Panga's with the bait tank being part of the interior of the boat which was fiberglassed in and we fished with the bottom of boat full of water and bait. We caught fish and had a good time.

Then I changed to fishing with Baja Pirates, whom provide all the equipment you could need, excellent service and fishing out of modern boats.

They have made fishing (as they say in Mexico "No Problem") . A true pleasure

From the captain's of your boat to the deck captain they are there to give you the best possible experience. The two hotels and their restaurants have always provided good service and excellent food.

Your captain will filet, package and vacuum freeze your fish ready for you return trip. You can tell him to take some to your restaurant where they have several ways to prepare your fish for your dinner meal.

We normally fish in in July, mainly for Dorado. We have never failed to bring several ice chest full of fish home. This year we wanted to go a little earlier for the yellow tail bite. There were no disappointments with that decision. We picked up several 30# to 40# yellowtail, black sea bass, grouper and numerous red and yellow snapper.

In conclusion there are other fishing fleets that may be able to provide good fishing but the combination of good service, equipment, hotels, restaurants and "No Problems" you can't beat the Baja Pirates experience.

Larry B