“Want to catch fish? Don't go here.”

Baja Pirates Fishing Fleet
More attraction details
Owner description: Baja Pirates roots began in Alaska then moved to La Paz Mexico in 2000. The Alaskan style of service was retained. We have the largest most modern fleet of American style boats in La Paz and provide only top quality gear(Avet Reels and Ugly stick rods). Fish processing includes vacuume packing and freezing your catch for your trip home. We have added Scuba, Snorkeling, Sea Kayaking, Golf and day tours to offer something for every family member.
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Want to catch fish? Don't go here.”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Over $700 for 2 fish, and a surly captain.

We booked 2 days of fishing in advance of arrival from slick owner. The first day we were picked up on time but were told "no bait today". We spent all day long driving in circles trolling lures. Not a single bite. About 3 hours into it the Captain told us "no fish today".

Back at the hotel we talked to some people who went with the other fleets (Mosquito and Tailhunter) that HAD bait. One boat had caught several large Dorado that day.

The second day Baja Pirates was 30 minutes late picking us up. Same surly captain, but this time there WAS bait ($25 extra, read the fine print). We caught 2 medium Dorado in the first 90 minutes (lots of fun). Inexplicably the Captain had enough and we spent the next 4 hours using the artificial lures with no results.

The Captain of the other Pirate boat caught his own bait for the clients (at no charge). They caught several fish, so maybe we were just unlucky. The other clients were happy.

Our experience was very bad. There is no excuse for not catching fish in a place like this, especially when the other fleets are hauling them in.

Visited August 2012
5 Thank Lots_of_Miles
BajaPirates, Owner at Baja Pirates Fishing Fleet, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
We operate the largest most modern fleet in La Paz. Our main business is fishing vacations including hotel, boats, food and transportation. We also rent boats for the day. Daily boat rentals include boat, captain, gear, lunch and fish processing. These clients contacted us and rented a center console boat for two days. They also purchased fishing licenses.The first day of fishing was complicated by unseasonable weather and bait was not available in the area we are located. The second day bait was available and is offered for sale at the bait boats. Bait is not included in boat rentals.We can only control the service not the weather or the bait or fish.We work hard in the areas that we control we offer the best boats and gear available.The complaints were not about the equipment boats or the gear but about the bait and slow fishing. As to the tardiness of their pick up on the second yes we were late.We pick up the clients at several different hotels and the clients at the prior stop were late getting to the shuttle that made us late picking up these clients.We apologized and explained the situation to the clients.Our transportation shuttle is a free service that we offer to our clients.

Fullerton
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dorado Heaven”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I went fishing with a group of friends for our annual La Paz fishing trip. We have been fishing in Baja for the last 18 years and specifically with the Baja Pirates for the last several years. Leonard runs a first class operation, on and off the water, with the best boats and equipment to ensure a truly outstanding fishing experience.
La Paz is far from the Mexico you read and worry about. It is a fishing town with the friendliest people. There is plenty of stores in case you forgot something. Take your fish to Dos Mares on the Malicon. They will make several dishes that you will never find here.
I would highly recommend the Baja Pirates to anyone looking to have an amazing fishing experience.
Thanks Leonard, Pedro, Lala, Chinook and the rest of the captains.

1 Thank Robert A B
Huntington Beach, California
4 attraction reviews
“Great Fishing Trip and Accommodations”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife and I joined 20 other friends for an annual fishing trip in Mexico. The staff and crews at Baja Pirates of La Paz were outstanding. The fishing was great; my wife caught the 47 pound bull Dorado that won the jackpot, and we filled our cooler with fast frozen and vacuum packed fillets. Juan Carlos, our boat captain, did an outstanding job of finding fish, getting all 3 of us hooked up with a dorado at the same time, and expertly guiding the boat to assist in landing the big ones.

Leonard, the owner, provided transportation to La Paz each night and showed us some great restaurants for dinner. The restaurant at the hotel cooked the fresh dorado one night and it was excellent. This is a great place for families or spending time with good friends. Everyone treats you well and it's a friendly atmosphere.

San Jose, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Pleasantly Surprised With Excellent Service”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

To start, I have fished several areas of Baja during the last 23 years so I've come to expect hotels and fishing operators to over-promise and under-deliver. That is truly not the case with Baja Pirates. Leonard, Eric, Pedro and their crew go the extra mile for you.

On July 18, 2012, Leonard met us at the La Paz airport to provide our transfer to Hotel Marina (a great 2.5 star hotel by the way). Leonard explained the great things the city of La Paz has to offer and all of the fine dining as well. I did not expect this from a fishing fleet operator, so I have to admit I was still a little skeptical.

After our first day of fishing (we landed 10 dorado to 45 pounds!) amazingly, Leonard offered to take one of our group members to Walmart for a few items he forgot to bring. It has been my experience that most fishing fleet operators would have recommended a taxi. This is the kind of hands-on service you can expect from Baja Pirates

Now to the fishing and the fleet. For the first time in Baja, we didn't bring our own rods and reels. Leonard assured us he has top-quality gear such as Avet reels and Ugly Stick rods. Not only was I surprised that he had the quality gear but the reels and rods were in great working order! The boats Baja Pirates offer are American-style boats such as Triumphs, Trophy's and Parkers. They have great fishing platforms and the captains are exceptional. As far as captains, I personally recommend "Caco" aka Jesus. There is only one other captain I have fished with that impressed me and his name is Danny Osuna. If you've fished Mexico then you know who Danny Osuna is. That's how impressive Caco is.

We fished four days (7/19-7/22) and caught quality fish, mostly dorado (that was our target), every day. Leonard or Pedro was at the dock each morning to send us (and other clients) off and they were there when we returned from the fishing grounds. Our dorado were iced immediately after we caught them. After a few pictures at the dock, the fish was then filleted, vacuum sealed and frozen for us at no additional cost. Baja Pirates is a class operation in my book.

In closing, we ended up with over 20 dorado up to 45 lbs with several in the 40 lb class. This was by far the best fishing experience I have ever had. And the city of La Paz, with it's friendly people and culture helped make this fishing vacation truly amazing. If you want exceptional service in a great city and a shot at catching some magnificent fish, you owe it to yourself to book with Baja Pirates. As I type this, I'm trying to clear my calendar to go back in October 2012.

Tight lines,

Michael C

2 Thank Michael C
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Top quality fishing guides”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I've fished with a lot of different guides in central america, south africa and the US. Baja pirates is among the best I've gone out with. I've fished in mexico several times and have gone from cheap dockside negotiations to a quality outfit. The difference is clear and worth the money.

The entire staff was friendly, punctual and accommodating. The flash freezing is a great service.

You can find cheaper, but if you want to fish with quality gear and boats, knowledgeable friendly captains, and somebody who genuinely appreciates your business, look no further.

If you want to bring fish back on a plane, the airlines won't let you bring on a foam shipping cooler anymore. United let me bring mine on after putting it in a plastic airline shipping bag, but that was after a lot of pleading. My friend flew american and they made him put his in a cardboard box. He had quite a bit of thawing by the time he got home.

Visited April 2012