“Beautiful Setting”

Punta Pescadero Paradise
Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in La Paz
Reviewed April 8, 2006

I reserved the best room the hotel had to offer. Four days before I was to arrive I was told I had a different room. I questioned this and was told the room I had reserved was expensive, and then told I still had the room. The day before I was to arrive I had a message at my hotel where we we staying, just 8 miles down the rough dirt road. The message was to inform us our room had been double booked and we were out. We demanded a rate reduction and stayed there for 4 days. Beautiful room. Most of the service was less than we payed for. The sheets were not changed. The room was not cleaned until 1 PM most days. The service in the dining room was good and poor, just depended on what hep worked that day. Not enough help most of the time was a problem. The food is very good, but very expensive,especially for a family. One needs to not forgret you are staying in Mexico not Hawaii. I have been going to Mexico for over 20 years, fishing on every trip. THIS INOT THE RESORT TO GO TO IF YOU PLAN ON FISHING FOR BIG GAME FISH.No cruisers and the pangas are not very good, both boat and skill levels of the guide.

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank awhowell

Reviewed February 3, 2006

We just got back from Punta Pescadero. I hesitate to write this in case it gets swamped, however, this place is fantastic! Beautiful, large, just redone rooms. When we entered our room they had just finished completely remodeling it. Tv in room, cd players, patios with new furniture with great cushions. Gorgeous views and beach. Nice pool. Nice people. Great margs.
However- once you are there, you are there. Not easy to get to. Food is ok not great by any means and very few choices.
We will be going back.

• Stayed: January 2006
3  Thank smsbnyc
Reviewed January 3, 2006

This hotel is a diamond in the rough. Its relative isolation works in its favor, since the few miles of dirt road that have to be navigated deter all but the intrepid. Or the pilots, of course!

While we appreciated the newly redone rooms, the friendly staff, excellent food and of course, the glorious beach, great fishing and stupendous ocean views, until this hotel can iron out the rough edges, it will remain average. For example:"do not disturb" signs are pointless, since the staff comes in anyway to see if you meant it. Also, we were there for more than 10 days and the sheets were not changed even once during that time. Eww. I could have asked, but I shouldn't have to!

Meals were great but service was at times excruciatingly slow, and if you have hungry little kids it is a problem. I used to like the american plan (all meals included) but it is now stunningly overpriced, so if you want just a simple breakfast, you are still paying for an elaborate one.

Other than juice in the morning and coffee, there are no drinks included with the meals, so if you want a drink it goes on your bar tab. The bottled water prices are odd- it is $2.50 (american) for a small bottle, but a bottle 4x that size is only 50 cents more. Wierd. Alcoholic drinks seem weaker than in the past. Pricing is not transparent, you have to ask a person about everything, I guess on the theory if you have to ask you can't afford it. And you can't afford to do laundry here!! So while we will might come back because we like the isolation, I can't give it more than a average rating.

• Stayed: December 2005
7  Thank OaklandMom
Reviewed November 9, 2005

Rooms are nice, but the restaurant is overpriced. Lunch is $20 + 10% tax + 15% mandatory gratuity, for a total of $25 per person (plus drinks!). For that, we ate a very, very mediocre fajita lunch. Lunch for four, with lemonade (no alcohol) was $126!!

What is amazing is that the menus have white stickers with new pricing placed over the old prices; we held the menus up to the light and saw price increases of 75%!! We understand there's a new owner for the resort/airstrip; they definitely have some goals of making major money from their investment.

However, we felt absolutely GOUGED. Punta Pescadero sent us a clear message: don't bother returning.

• Stayed: November 2005
7  Thank glasdriver
Reviewed October 4, 2005

I have been staying at Punta Pescadero for seven years. In the past the service and the fishing has been great but the hotel was a little run down. That has all changed! New owners have completely remodeled the place and it looks really good. The rooms are wonderful! I highly recommend the hotel for a relaxing vacation or a fishing adventure.

Stayed: September 2005
2  Thank John M
Reviewed July 3, 2005

When we stayed at The Punta Pescadero in Sept 03, it was days BEFORE the 1st hurricane of the season hit. Hurricanes happen, but since the management brought it up in their response I feel compelled to add that the 1st night of our stay we swam in the dirty, merky green pool water. Yuck, a warning would have been most appreciated. The hurricane hit in the middle of the night on the 3rd day, we woke up at 3am to our room completely flooded. We were given another room that leaked as well. Later we left room to talk to manaegment. We found the hotel staff in the restaurant singing loudly and drinking alcohol, they sang and drank, all day into the late night. We were told that this is what they do when a hurricane hits. This behavior certainly was of no comfort, as well as being told by mgmt., that there was no Dr's in the area.
We are glad to hear the pool is clean and the rooms are repaired. It is a beautiful setting. A word to travelers, hurricane season starts in Aug to Oct. We were told we may not be able to get back to Cabo airport, two of the main roads were washed out, thankfully we did make it across the large arroyos with the help of four wheel drive vehicals, it was quite an adventure!

• Stayed: September 2003
5  Thank DolphinSister
Reviewed November 22, 2004

I believe this is one of the most beautiful adventure vacation areas I have been to in all of mexico and other parts of the world. The foold was decent, the available water, and other sports (ATV) were excellent. The only complaint I had was the same as another guest, the fishing charter was absolutely terrible, bad equipment, bad attitude on the part of the skipper, and no fish. The fishing, the water, the views, the desert terrain have left lasting memories for me and my sons. Be sure to get up early and see the sun rise and bring your camera, you are in for a treat if this is your type of vacation.

7  Thank johnnyd466