“Amazing whale watching trip!!!”
Review of Baja Expeditions

Baja Expeditions
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are Baja California's pioneer in minimum-impact expeditions and base eco camps for the adventurous and conscious traveler. Cruise the Sea of Cortez aboard our Catamaran "EL Mechudo", explore Espíritu Santo Island while staying at our eco-camp, or discover the magic of the Grey Whales in San Ignacio Lagoon.
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We spent two nights at San Ignacio Lagoon with Baja Expeditions and had an AMAZING experience!!! THe accomodations were pretty basic and the food was good but not fancy by any means. We didn't go there for a resort experience so it wasn't a disappointment at all. The whale watching was one of the most incredible things I have ever done in my life. We have gone on whale watching trips in Maui and San Diego but nothing compares to the whale watching here. THe whales come right up to the boat to be pet and have their bellies rubbed. THe babies are big but when the mothers come up to the boat OMG they are huge! It's scary, exciting and fun all at once. Our guides Alex and Rufino were great. THey are very knowledgable about the whales. I plan on coming back again and again, this was an incredable experience. My kids, ages 10 and 14, loved it.

6  Thank Kkotulski
in 4 reviews
"eco tour"
"every meal"

Reviewed March 29, 2012

I spent 3 days at Baja Expedition's camp at the Laguna de San Ignacio. They took us out in small pangeas twice each day to see the whales in the Laguna. The experience with the whales was incredible. Mothers and calves who wanted to interact with us came up to the boat. When the water was calm, they could get close enough for us to pet them, scratch their heads, touch their bodies, and share our love and joy with them. They were like puppies wanting to play--rolling over, pushing the boat, diving from side to side. Looking in their eyes with them looking back is something I will remember for the rest of my life. The camp is in comfortable cabin, solar showers, composted toilets. Meals and water provided. Education in the evenings was less than what I expected and would have preferred to have more. I would definitely go again. 3 days -- 5 times out on the boat was full. We always saw whales though there was less interaction when the water was rougher.

4  Thank Aleece09
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I booked a one week live aboard dive trip with Baja Expeditions and had a great experience. The sales staff were very helpful and thorough in providing information and answering any questions I had.

The Don Jose is a wooden boat which was designed and built in La Paz some years ago. It functions well as a dive boat and was clean and comfortable. The boat can accommodate up to 16 divers. I stayed in a standard room on the top deck which had 2 bunks. Fortunately I had the room to myself, as the top bunk was too small for me. My room had good air conditioning at night.

Our trip was not fully booked and had some last minute cancellations, so there were only 7 divers and the dive master Joel - perfect! There were 6 crew members on board to take care of things and provide assistance with equipment. There are two skiffs that were used to access some dive sites.

The food was delicious and plentiful. I don't think Antonio made the same meal twice. There was always ice cold water, pop, beer and snacks available. (beer only after the last dive of the day - no drinking and diving)

We did 17 dives over 5 days at 9 different sites which included a shallow reef, 2 wrecks, pinnacles, 2 sea lion colonies and night dives. The dives ranged from easy (Suwannee Reef) to moderately challenging (El Bajo) We also did an excursion by boat into a mangrove estuary. On our last day we went swimming with whale sharks in the Bay of La Paz before heading back to the marina.

I can't say enough about the crew, and especially our dive master Joel who made this an unforgettable adventure. Thanks to everyone at Baja Expeditions!

5  Thank roncasual
Reviewed May 27, 2011

My week-long Wildlife Voyage with Baja Expeditions was a week of firsts for me - the first time I'd spent a night on a boat (big or small), the first time I'd seen a whale up close and personal and the first time I'd snorkeled with sea lions.

I spent 7 days and 6 nights aboard the Don Jose and the accommodations, the service and the ride were suburb. Our cook, Josey, prepared 18 unique meals that were absolutely delicious. And every afternoon he provided a "happy hour" treat that included a selection of beverages and a light snack.

Our trip certainly lived up to its name, "Wildlife Voyage!" Just a couple of hours out of Puerto Escondido, near Loreto, we had our first whale encounter with several Fin (or Finback) whales. Before the week was over we would also add Blue whales, Humpback whales, Orca (aka "killer") whales, Bottlenose and Common dolphins, Manta rays and sea lions to our sightings. The Blues were spectacular, as we observed several females with their calves. Blues can reach 100 feet in length and weigh as much 400,000 pounds making them the largest animals that have ever existed on Earth - larger than the biggest dinosaurs!

On our last afternoon aboard we were treated to a visit to Los Islotes, the famous sea lion colony at the end of Isla Espiritu Santo, a few miles outside La Paz Bay. We snorkeled and swam with a number of young pups who would do almost anything to get us to play with them! Dinner conversation that night was all about sea lions.

If I had to sum up my experience in a single word, that word would have to be, "WOW!"

2  Thank RJ_Archer
See more reviews
Reviewed March 21, 2011

We went to see whales and boy did we see them. We were so fortunate in that we had contact with several "friendlies." Got to have personal contact with a mother and several babies. It was fantastic. All the staff at Baja Expeditions was terrific. Naturalists were so knowledgeable - and warm and friendly. The food was excellent - I went into the kitchen to see how those fresh tortillas were made each day - from scratch, about 100 per day. Their camp in San Ignacio Lagoon is an eco camp and they use the scarce resources of the desert carefully. Hot water is solar powered, the desalinization plant next door provided the nonpotable water. It was a bit like camping but better.

The first night was coooold - the desert winds were howling. Take the clothing recommendations seriously (a jacket and a fleece). During the day it got quite warm. And this was early March. We saw lots of birds, heard the coyotes howling at night, and saw the most beautiful shells on the beach. Now I understand why people come back year after year after year.

2  Thank mid214