“Great day trip”

Fun Baja Whale Watching
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Great day trip to snorkel with sea lions, have lunch on a remote beach & see the wildlife.When they offer you a wetsuit for an additional $ 10.00, PAY THEM. Even in June, the water is colder than I cared for. Practice your snorkeling before you go. Trip goes to Espiritu Santo, a preserve. Your pass is included. Sea lions are at Isle La Partida, nearby. You return to a remote beach where lunch is prepared fresh, and is delicious. Plenty of time to kayak in a quiet cove, and float above rocks harboring many fish. Sting rays are very prevalent here, so shuffle your feet in the sand when wading. Sometimes the trip passes whale sharks, orcas, dolphins, and such, but the time of year wasn't optimal for that. We did pass a Marlin, though.
Diving and other events including beach stayovers are available. Guides and crews are friendly and knowledgable. I'll go back to this one!

1  Thank owlish1
"marine life"
"once in a lifetime"
"making sure"

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Our experience with fun baja was nothing short of amazing. We were booked for an introductory scuba excursion and lunch on a private island cove on Ensenada Grande. On the boat ride to the diving site the crew was very friendly, playful, and talkative with lots of informational tid bits about La Paz, Ensenada Grande, Espiritu Santo Island, and the abundant sea life encompassing it all.

This was our first time diving. The hubby and I had never even been snorkeling. Our guide Juan was nothing short of professional, informative, and pleasant. He explained (and physically mimicked) our diving instructions and important points we needed to keep at the front of our minds (equalizing, breathing slowly and deeply, etc) before we arrived at the diving site. After getting to the diving site he then went through the instructions again and demonstrated everything with our equipment. He was very reassuring and made clear that he was not in a hurry to rush into diving down deep right away; and that we could take 10 minutes or two hours getting comfortable if we needed to. That was very comforting.

After loading up with gear and getting in the water, Juan took each of us separately down on a shallow dive to practice trusting the regulator (the thing you put in your mouth that gives you oxygen), breathing through our mouths, clearing the mask of water, putting the regulator back if it comes out of our mouth, and equalizing. It was definitely intense and scary since it was our first time diving. The hardest part is relaxing and remembering to breathe deeply and regularly through just your mouth. Because of the time of year the water was a little murky and green. But I was told that when the warmer waters come in (July - October) the water clears up and the visibility is really good. Regardless, we still were able to see a lot of beautiful colorful fish, sea lions, and reef life. Juan took the both of us by the hand and dove with us around and through the rocks and caverns. The deepest we went was 30 feet. A great physical effort for Juan definitely; especially since the water is so salty it makes us so buoyant and I wasn't exactly graceful with my flippers. When we got to the deeper water the visibility was much better and we were able to see much more marine life.

Another couple was also on the tour but they were only snorkeling. Their guide was Edgardo. They had snorkeled before and had no bad things to say about their snorkeling experience. They had a lot of interaction with the sea lions and lots of fun.

After diving we went to Ensenada Grande beach #3. It is a cove exclusive to Fun Baja and they maintain the upkeep and cleanliness of the area. On the cove they have tables, loungers, marine bathrooms, showers, a full restaurant, a dining area, palapas, shaded beachside tables and chairs, a beach volleyball net, kayaks, and paddle boards. The cove was simply breathtaking. The view of the crystal blue water and white sands were unbelievably amazing. The sand is more corse and feels a lot like tiny shell chips. In the water the sand is as soft as can be.

While paddle boarding you can see straight through the water to the sea floor. There is a sparse sprinkling of rocks and small plants growing around the sea floor in the cove. This makes for a great play scape for various shallow water loving fish to hang out in. We spotted a lot of blow fish, trumpet fish, mullets, and baby fish while we played in the water.

For lunch we were served lightly pan fried fish, fresh salad, rice and tortillas. You could eat it just as served or make fish tacos with it. It was delicious light and perfect for the day.

After lunch and playing on the beach we headed back to the hotel. On the way we spotted whales surfacing.

The entire day was an experience of a lifetime. I will definitely look into camping on the cove for a couple of days on my next trip out.

General tipping guidelines suggest tipping the guide $10 a person and the captain $5 per person. We tipped our scuba guide $20 per person since we were scuba virgins and he put a lot of effort into teaching us and physically diving with us. We tipped our boat captain $10.

The other couple we were with tipped their snorkeling guide $10 per person and $10 for the captain I believe.

3  Thank Nina Tuyet L
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We went on the 2-night camping safari on Isla Partida / Espiritu Santo with Fun Baja and had an incredible time. The stretch of beach we stayed on, Ensenada Grande, is a protected cove with calm turquoise water. I walked out about a hundred yards and the water was still only waist deep with no currents or undertows to worry about. The beach where we camped was surrounded by mountains making you feel like you are nestled in a pocket on the island. If you are skiddish about camping, this would be the best way to break you in. Their safari style tents were spacious and came equipped with cots, sheets, pillows, and towels for two. Pump toilets and showers were also available. I have to say it was the nicest camping I've ever done and waking up looking out at the sea just outside of the tent was phenomenal.

With only a few people there during our stay, our guide, Chabelo, set up personalized activities around the things we liked to do and told us all about the area's ecosystem. We snorkelled with sea lions on our boat ride out of the La Paz, hiked to the other side of the island viewing the sea from the top of a cliff, paddle boarded in the cove, and kayaked around mangroves and other deserted beaches. It was nice that they allow you the flexibility to customize activities or just lounge around on the beach if you want to relax. The cook, Cocoa, was amazing and made us breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. His talent made for some of the best meals we had from La Paz to Cabo. One day they caught some squid off the coast and made us the freshest calamari we have ever had. Fresh fish and stuffed peppers and rice were delicious.

We highly recommend this trip if you are looking for an experience outside of the typical touristy excursions with a professional and fun outfitter.

2  Thank Mike S
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I booked two full days of diving with Fun Baja and was impressed from start to finish. I usually find at least one thing that I'd like to see done better by a dive outfit but my experience with Fun Baja was pretty much flawless.

The staff were friendly and professional, the boats were well equipped, the hire gear was good quality and the whole outfit was smoothly run. All this for a reasonable price too. The diving out of La Paz is downright good fun, with decently sized shoals of fish, plenty of crustaceans to look for and inquisitive sealions to say hello to. Snorkeling with them is a great way to spend your surface intervals.

On top of all that there are usually a few pods of dolphins of various species around and the crew did their best to get in front of them so I could snorkel with them. They did manage to get me in the water right in front of a pod of common dolphins but they sonared me straight away (it sounded awesome) and dived well below so all I saw were their blurred shapes and angry bubbles! Good effort though. Never mind, within half an hour I was swimming around with the most accommodating whale shark I've ever seen. It was doing the 'static vertical feeding' thing for ages and didn't seem bothered by the tiny humans swimming in circles around it for about 20 minutes.

So overall I was very happy. I tend to visit La Paz once a year and I can say without hesitation that I'll dive with Fun Baja again on my next visit. Good work guys!

1  Thank Leono