“I'll be back!!”

Tailhunter International Sportfishing
Ranked #5 of 75 Tours in La Paz
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Founded in 1996 by Baja Sur Fishing Expert Jonathan Roldan who still personally oversees all operations with his wife/fishing buddy Jilly. Tailhunter International Sportfishing is a full service outfitter offer excursions year round on the Sea of Cortez where the diversity of species is epic. Specializing in the calm and pristine waters of La Paz's two Island treasures of Isla Espiritu Santu and Isla Cerralvo, Tailhunter offers world famous full service and customized fishing, spearfishing and diving packages which include lodging at the finest local beach resorts and transportation to/from either La Paz or Los Cabos international airports. Tailhunter has adventures in and on the water for all ages with our headquarters on the Bay of La Paz under the big Palapa!
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Jonathan and Jill really have it down. They give a new meaning to customer service. We fished three days with Tailhunter, and each day, they greeted us with a smile, and sent us off with their local captians. Upon returning, they were right there to make sure everything went well, ALL this while still managing to run the restaurant and cantina, Its obvious they go the extra mile to earn their customers business, and genuinely care about their customers and the people they work with. Even though we ran into a full moon, and unseasonable cool water, we still had a great time, managed to catch fish, and really enjoyed our stay in La Paz. I know we'll be back to really experience the kind of fishing that Tailhunter trips are famous for.

All reviews
"go fishing"
in 16 reviews
"jack crevalle"
in 8 reviews
"already planning our next trip"
in 5 reviews
"love fishing"
in 5 reviews
"hotel lobby"
in 8 reviews
"first class operation"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed June 24, 2013

It's a daunting task trying to pick and choose based on reviews..you can read until you're eyes get crossed or you find yourself on information overload.

So let me make this as short and to the point as possible. Jonathan and Jill have customer service down to a science that other businesses only wish they could provide. It's evident in every step of your trip with them and it even trickles down to their shuttle drivers and boat captains. They took care of all of the unknowns and uncertainties of my first time fishing Mexico and broke it down in a way that made everything...for the lack of a better word....simple.

There's a reason why they have so many repeat clients. They truly appreciate the fact that you are willing to spend your hard earned money on their services, and they deliver. Every client is special. It's kind of hard to explain and a little weird to say it after only one visit with them, but it's almost like you become part of their extended family.

The true testament to this fact is that I found myself sharing my recent experience with friends, family and co-workers...and my tales of an epic day of dorado fishing was always overshadowed by my explanation of how I was treated by the two people that put it all together.

Thanks again Jonathan and Jill...for a trip that I will never forget.
-Jason

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I have fished with Tailhunter International several times now. There will be many more trips with them in the future. This last trip we caught 13 different species of fish. My grandson was with me for his first trip to La Paz and his first ever saltwater experience. He had the time of his life. The panga captians work hard to make sure you catch fish and that your trip is fun. Everything about Tailhunter International is top notch. Try them out. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have had the opportunity to work with a number of outfitters but I have never seen anyone take more pride in their work or work harder than Jonathan and Jill to make sure that their guests had the best trip possible. From the time we landed at the airport till we were delivered back to the airport the whole trip went off without a hitch. The whole staff from the shuttle drivers to the boat captain to the hotel staff were all great to deal with.

When your host meets you in the hotel lobby at 5:30 am just to make sure you start your day off on the right foot you know you are dealing with the right people.

My wife was more than a little hesitant to make this trip but after this experience she is ready to start planning the next one!

1  Thank JRG25
See more reviews
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My wife hadn't caught a fish in probably 20 years, so not exactly an avid angler. Before we got off the Panga on our first day of fishing, she was deciding which of her friends, all non fishers like her, she could talk into joining her in La Paz for a ladies fishing trip.
We were a little early for the best fishing but we caught dorado, yellowtail, roosterfish, bonita, cabrilla, and a jack cravelle.
The pangas were clean and squared away with new looking Honda outboards that ran without a hiccup all day. On our two days of fishing both skippers were very good.
In addition to the fishing, Jonathan set up a snokleing trip for us. Again, a fun crew and great trip.
Snorkling was featured, but we actually spent less than an hour in the water, a great hour with millions of fish and a bunch of sea lions all around, the trip also included a superb lunch on a beautiful beach with Gilligan's Island type bathrooms and kayaks available for us to use. Jonathan set us up with a room at the La Concha hotel. The location was handy for trips into town, to the beaches to the north, and for the fishing and snorkling trips out of La Paz.
The room was basic, a bed a bathroom, a T.V. and a mini fridge. Fit our needs nicely and was clean. The rest of the Hotel is a step up from the room. The pool area, the beach and the view are really nice. The bar is reasonable and the restuarant is very good. We looked at an elegant new hotel just north of LaConcha, it was beautiful but the price was much higher, the distance to the pool, the bar, the beach, and the restuarant from the rooms was a lot more. When I go back (please notice that's when not if) I will return to the La Concha.
Actually, I will probably just leave the whole thing up to Jonathan, thats what I did this time and we had a wonderful experience.