“$20 bucks for a double not bad”
Review of Pension California

Pension California
Ranked #27 of 39 Hotels in La Paz
Reviewed November 27, 2010

It's very cheap for $20 both me n my partner it's in the middle on down town a block from the beach clean great for on a budget the down side there's no hot water but if u shower tho the day you don't need it cus it's so hot

• Stayed: November 2010

Reviewed August 4, 2010

Recently stayed here for a few days upon arrival in Baja. The older man on reception was friendly and welcoming which was a good start. There's a courtyard filled with plants and paintings (check out the one with an eagle carrying a naked man, strange) with tables and chairs which adds to the social atmosphere. This courtyard is surounded by rooms which have tv and cost 30 pesos extra. There were a couple of small birds in a cage which made quite a racket.

We opted for one of the rooms at the back without tv. Two beds, a ceiling fan and a cold water bathroom (you don't need hot water here). Good value at 250 for two people (the rate goes up with each additional person). The only negative was that the wi fi signal didn't reach the room.

They advertise that they have kitchen facilities but these are at a bare minimum. An old gas hob, 2 plates (one of which broken), a few pans and odd items of cutlery and an old dirty rag to wash up with. No matter though as located just outside is an awesome taco stall.

This is a great place to stay if you're on a budget. Very relaxed and potentially social.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2010

This place is pretty cool. Located on street with a much better feel to the other hotels, feels more like mexico than the tourist area. The pension itself is very colourful and has cute rooms. At only 280p for a double room with tv i have no complaints. Service was great and the pension has very fast free wifi.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shannonluke
Reviewed January 12, 2010

My wife and I have been to La Paz several times now (it's our favorite town in all of Baja) and we previously have stayed at Hotel Señorial, which we absolutely loved. For some time we have known about Pension California and had heard great things about it. We even passed by it a few times. On our winter getaway this year we decided to give it a try and we were not disappointed.

Likes:
The hotel staff was very friendly and informative. They did not mind explaining where things were in the city or taking the time to point it out on a map. The rooms were spacious and clean and the beds were very comfortable. It's a great spot to meet people from all over the world and socialize but if absolute peace and quiet is what you seek I wouldn't recommend it. It is a popular travel-hostel-type environment and people often have mini-parties into the wee hours of the night. Lot's of drinking and socializing, nothing too boisterous or wild, but people do hang out and talk a lot and sometimes very loudly, but if you are seriously considering staying here I think that's part of the appeal.

We are not light sleepers so grabbing some Z's was not a problem. We met a lot of cool people at Pension California and encountered a few not-so-cool folks (pretentious hippie-types who have their cliques and think they're to cool for the rest of the world), but we simply ignored them and they did not bother us. I would definitely stay here again. Free hi-speed internet is provided on a single computer for folks like us who don't have laptops - this came in very handy. Free wi-fi is also available in the large "social area" for people who do have laptops. I also liked that the hotel was located in a less touristy part of town, more embedded with the locals. Some travelers might be turned off by that but if so Pension California probably wouldn't be your cup of Joe anyhow. The hotel reminds me more of a hostel and I really liked its funky bohemian feel. It has a Moorish design with lots of cool artifacts and the like in the courtyard. There is also a communal kitchen where you can cook your own food. The wannabe hippies were always using it because they were supposedly vegans, but it was there none the less.

Dislikes:
They do allow pets here and I for one am not an "animal-type," so the constant dog barking in the early hours of the morning and the occasional dog fighting between various dogs at the hotel was more annoying than the actual people who hung out and partied into the late hours. A few rooms down a girl who had brought her dog with her on her vacation for some odd reason, would leave the dog alone in the room every morning and the dog would go insane as expected; barking, scratching at the door and howling. It wasn't the end of the world since we didn't stay in our rooms very long for most of the day, we were in La Paz to spend time on the malecón, go to the pristine beaches and enjoy the actual city. But I could see how this could be a very big problem if you like to spend lots of time in your room or sleep in late. I'm sure if you told the hotel staff to give you a room away from one with a dog they would do so, since the hotel is pretty big. But it does echo so if the dog barks loudly it probably would sound like he's still a few doors down. Anyhow, I'm not an animal lover so that's just my pet peeve and probably wouldn't matter much to other people. Crying babies and barking dogs are just not the sort of thing I want to deal with on vacation... this is the one area where I think I'm prudish.

Again, our stay was pleasant and I would definitely stay here again in a heartbeat, but if noise is an issue I would recommend some other spot in town as there are many in this price range. But if a party-type atmosphere is what you seek then knock yourself out, you'll have a blast. There is an interesting series of cork board's on the reception area walls with photos of various travelers from past to present. Look at a few of the photo's when you first walk in and it'll give you a pretty good idea of what type of spot this is.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2010

This pension is located right downtown and close to all the major sites. No frills, but you can't beat the price. However, I found a 4-unit apartment buidling that rents 1BR aparments by the week for $200 plus IVA (10% tax). This is great because each unit has a kitchen so I can cook the fish I catch next time I'm down.

La Paz rocks...down with Cabo!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Paceno2007
Reviewed September 13, 2009

For 15 bucks, a swell place. WiFi, just renovated, beutiful courtyard, nice people. However, no enclosed parking, and like a dummy, I left my laptop in my car on the street, and it was promptly lifted in broad daylight. Take your things from your car inside with you, I guess!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mx.
Reviewed October 15, 2003

This Hotel is the best choice for the backpackers travelers. Thier rooms are basic but clean, and the service of the people that work there is pretty good. The atmosphere is kind of bohemian with a lot of paintings, some of then original an other are replicas made by a foreign painter.In fact, Iwas very happy, and the price really worth it, because for one person, you just pay 140 pesos (aprox. 14 us. dlls) and for two the rate is 17 us. dlls. (prices in december 2002).In fact, this hotel is an excellente choice for those that are looking economy, rest and good service.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member