“Very friendly and spacious”
Review of Grand Plaza La Paz

Grand Plaza La Paz
Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in La Paz
Italy
“Very friendly and spacious”
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Hotel wasn't very new but staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were well cleaned every day, Very spacious, nice views onto the port. Swimming pool big, but cold and a little dirty.. Restaurant was nice if not a little slow. Taxi service from outside the entrance to the malecon 50-60 pesos no more!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Mazama, Washington
Reviewed April 5, 2010

I booked this hotel mainly for the pool, which was nice. The exterior of the hotel is nice, but that's about it. The rooms were large, but not all that great considering the price. Towels were old and frayed. Food at the restaurant was mediocre at best. Drinks were watered down and expensive. I expected that they would have drinkable water in one form or another, only to find one very small bottle of water in the bathroom. We actually had to go and buy water at a store to avoid the exorbitant price they wanted from the restaurant . The location is way outside of town, so walking anywhere other than Wal-Mart is not possible. The gym had a few broken down pieces of equipment and a bunch of heavy free weights.
I booked the room online for $99 per night. When I converted from pesos, what they actually charged me was $150!! By the time I realized it, the damage was done.
We stayed a a way better place at the edge of the Malecon (Posada Luna Sol) for half the price. Way better rooms, very friendly and helpful staff, plenty of water, great location...very lovely. No pool, but I wish I would've ditched the pool idea and just stayed there.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these La Paz hotels

Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed September 14, 2006

When we drove up to the large parking lot we were concerned that only two other cars were in the lot, now we know why. We walked into the lobby and it seemed nice. We asked to see a room and it seemed fine but I asked if we could get a better view and he said yes and for the same price.
Before we went to the room we trusted would be okay we went to get a bite to eat at the hotel restaurant. It appeared to be okay but when we looked closer all of the tables were dirty. We were thinking of going ,swimming but after looking at the pools closer there was no way we were going to swim in the dirty pools. When we went to our room the lamp shades were broken and the smell was horrible. I thought maybe someone had been smoking and the smell just needed to clear out. But, in the middle of the night I woke up tto the worst stench I have ever encountered and it was coming through the vent system. We had to leave the hotel in the middle of the night because the smell was unbearable. Earlier, we called the maid to re-clean the bathroom because the toilet stated sanitized but when the lid was lifted there were numerous black hairs in the bowl, it was disgusting. And, the bathtub was very dirty. Do not stay at this hotel, I think it's a possible health hazard. Even after I left and took a long shower the smell stayed with me for days, I've never experienced anything like it, it was absolutely awful. This is a one star hotel at best, it is insane that this hotel is being advertised as a four star hotel!

• Stayed September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Kensington1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed January 28, 2006

the review your reading was from last year during our vacation, the hotel changed owners and it is awful. I was very upset to book a week this dec to find out the hotel was not any longer the hilton and Mr Omar macias did not inform me through emails it had changed...
We stayed one night to find bugs, mosquitos, bad bedding, swer smell, and the towels were worn out and frayed.

Now we did not have a problem with staying for $105 a night last year, but not now that it has changed it is really BAD!!!!

Sorry Grand but it is true, the smae staff is there and very nice but over all it is awful....

• Stayed December 2005
9 Thank bajabeautycoach
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 12, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza hotel for two nights, on a car road trip from Cabo San Lucas to Loreto, and one night on the return trip back from Loreto to Cabo. We are frequent visitors to Mexico and to La Paz. When we visit La Paz, we usually stay in one of La Concha Hotel's condo units, however no units were available during this visit.

The Crowne Plaza hotel is located about 20 minutes by car from downtown La Paz. It is on the bay and has a small strip of beach sand from which you can wade into the bay, if the tide is in...or mud when the tide is out. On each of the days of our three-day stay, there appeared to be about 6-10 guests staying at the hotel.

There are 3 swimming pools at the hotel. One afternoon, my wife and I were the only guests using the pool and we each had our own swimming pool. Occasional beverage and food service was provided to the pool area from the restaurant. Periodically during the day, large tanker trucks came to pump water into the swimming pools. We became concerned about the level of chemicals in the pool as my wife noted that her hair was adversely affected by the pool water during our last days stay. On the morning we checked out to return to Cabo San Lucas, approximately 9:30 AM, we saw that plates, glass bottles, and drinking glasses were left out overnight. Several empty glasses were left on the edge of the pool deck coping. We were surprised that glass service was used in the pool area and were not promptly removed.

The hotel, grounds, and landscaping are beautiful but appeared not to be well maintained except the lobby and restaurant areas. During our two stays, we occupied two different rooms. On our first two-night stay, several lights were out in the interior hallway entrance to our room (suite), to the point we had to feel around in the dark to find the outside door handle to unlock the door to enter our room.

Both suites we stayed in were large but lighting was poor for reading. The air conditioning units were very noisy and difficult to adjust to a consistent temperature setting. One room had a safe without instructions for use. The other similiar suite did not have a safe.

We did not use the restaurant except for breakfast on two mornings. The breakfasts were good. The restaurant seemed to be periodically busy and appeared to host several group events each day/evening. For our three evening dinners, we went to La Paz's Malecon area. During this La Paz visit I had my worst meal ever, in twenty plus years of visiting Mexico, at Carlos & Charlies restaurant (fish tacos...small burnt particles of fish in A-1 sauce...left the entire meal on the plate after three bites... awful... nasty... expensive).

Overall, we would not consider staying at La Paz's Crowne Plaza Hotel in the future due to its location and service levels. The hotel seems to be caught in the vicious cycle of needing more guests to fund improved services but also needing to significantly improve service levels to attract more guests.

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
CA
Reviewed February 4, 2005

Had reservations for Christmas 2004. When we arrived we found that absolutely none of the facilities worked. The jacuzzi was broken the squash court was used for storage, the gym was a room full of broken equipement and that's only the start of all our complaints. It was our worst vacation experience ever.

3 Thank rellumj
Udine, Italy
Reviewed August 19, 2004

I stayed here for 3 nights at the end of July 2004. Rooms are so wide and clean.Staff very helpful and kind.The hotel is not centrally located so having a car is essential.

1 Thank Unkas