“Unbelievable. Could easily be a good hotel, but it's terrible!”
Review of Grand Plaza La Paz

Grand Plaza La Paz
Ranked #36 of 39 Hotels in La Paz
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is the perfect example of a hotel which could be good but is really terrible. let's start from the location: it is out of town, but with a car in 10 minutes you are downtown on Malecon, and is conveniently located for the airport, no more than 10 minutes. It is directly facing the sea... but there is no beach and terrible water, I would not swim there for any reason. Given these premises, what would you do if you were the owner? Personally I would make everything else perfect and attractive: the pools, the rooms, everything, I mean... And when you see it from outside you hope this is the case. Instead, the pool is dirty. The rooms are very large (I admit that), but they are not clean, with towels which are at least 10 years old, the bathroom is not clean at all, everything in the room is from the 80s to say the least. Without AC you die in the room, and if you switch it on is like having a Boeing 747 in your room! And this is not all, we had ants everywhere from the bathroom to the bedroom. Come on, this is not acceptable! The only good thing about this nightmare is that wi-fi internet is available everywhere, but that's not enough. I strongly recommend the owners to undergo a complete renovation of this hotel, and make it attractive. Or, if you want to leave it like this, you have to drastically reduce prices. For the service you offer, what you ask is definitely too much!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank beppinator

Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed here for two nights on our way to Ciudad Consticion (spelling) and Cabo San Lucas.

It was the most convenient property to the La Paz Airport.

The propery was very clean and the pool was nice - although very shallow in some areas - like not even to your knees - in the picture it looks a little deeper in the "lagoon" area but it isn't.

The hotel restaurant was very lovely, and had a nice mariachi band playing at our dinner.

Please do go into town to visit the market - it is rather fun.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alexabri
Reviewed April 10, 2010

What can I say; Grand Plaza is a glorified Mexican Motor Inn. It is 2 star quality in its condition, probably gets the additional star rating for having pools and a restaurant. It’s about 25 years old I would guess and has never been updated. But it is Clean and the staff is pleasant. Located close to the airport and across from Wal-Mart. Drive 5-10 minutes you are at the Malecon. We have a one bedroom facing a marina. For 2 nights it is fine. I wouldn’t suggest this place for more than a night or 2. There is a fridge but no microwave, dishes or silverware. Over priced at $125 per night, I would think $80 is more appropriate!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kaiandjacksmom
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Hotel wasn't very new but staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were well cleaned every day, Very spacious, nice views onto the port. Swimming pool big, but cold and a little dirty.. Restaurant was nice if not a little slow. Taxi service from outside the entrance to the malecon 50-60 pesos no more!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2010

I booked this hotel mainly for the pool, which was nice. The exterior of the hotel is nice, but that's about it. The rooms were large, but not all that great considering the price. Towels were old and frayed. Food at the restaurant was mediocre at best. Drinks were watered down and expensive. I expected that they would have drinkable water in one form or another, only to find one very small bottle of water in the bathroom. We actually had to go and buy water at a store to avoid the exorbitant price they wanted from the restaurant . The location is way outside of town, so walking anywhere other than Wal-Mart is not possible. The gym had a few broken down pieces of equipment and a bunch of heavy free weights.
I booked the room online for $99 per night. When I converted from pesos, what they actually charged me was $150!! By the time I realized it, the damage was done.
We stayed a a way better place at the edge of the Malecon (Posada Luna Sol) for half the price. Way better rooms, very friendly and helpful staff, plenty of water, great location...very lovely. No pool, but I wish I would've ditched the pool idea and just stayed there.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2006

When we drove up to the large parking lot we were concerned that only two other cars were in the lot, now we know why. We walked into the lobby and it seemed nice. We asked to see a room and it seemed fine but I asked if we could get a better view and he said yes and for the same price.
Before we went to the room we trusted would be okay we went to get a bite to eat at the hotel restaurant. It appeared to be okay but when we looked closer all of the tables were dirty. We were thinking of going ,swimming but after looking at the pools closer there was no way we were going to swim in the dirty pools. When we went to our room the lamp shades were broken and the smell was horrible. I thought maybe someone had been smoking and the smell just needed to clear out. But, in the middle of the night I woke up tto the worst stench I have ever encountered and it was coming through the vent system. We had to leave the hotel in the middle of the night because the smell was unbearable. Earlier, we called the maid to re-clean the bathroom because the toilet stated sanitized but when the lid was lifted there were numerous black hairs in the bowl, it was disgusting. And, the bathtub was very dirty. Do not stay at this hotel, I think it's a possible health hazard. Even after I left and took a long shower the smell stayed with me for days, I've never experienced anything like it, it was absolutely awful. This is a one star hotel at best, it is insane that this hotel is being advertised as a four star hotel!

• Stayed: September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Kensington1
Reviewed January 28, 2006

the review your reading was from last year during our vacation, the hotel changed owners and it is awful. I was very upset to book a week this dec to find out the hotel was not any longer the hilton and Mr Omar macias did not inform me through emails it had changed...
We stayed one night to find bugs, mosquitos, bad bedding, swer smell, and the towels were worn out and frayed.

Now we did not have a problem with staying for $105 a night last year, but not now that it has changed it is really BAD!!!!

Sorry Grand but it is true, the smae staff is there and very nice but over all it is awful....

• Stayed: December 2005