“Great Service”

Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn
Ranked #2 of 26 La Paz B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Nice place to stay in La Paz. Its a bit outside the main downtown area so you wouldn't want to walk but its a nice little oasis. The best part is Richard and his family. They are super eager to help you make the most out of your time in La Paz.
Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
HaciendaParaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Dear Pete and Vicki,
Thanks for your review. We seem to be getting a ton of people from San Diego through the newly discovered Volaris route. We are glad that you enjoyed our little quiet and peaceful oasis. Ashell (my son) and I were happy to be of assistance to you. Of course, we hope you will be able to return to La Paz to enjoy the many more things La Paz has to offer and to meet Gloria, my wife.
Regarding walking, we are only slightly over 1 mile in total from the beginning of the malecon, a walk that a young couple with an eleven mo. old baby in a stroller did for three consecutive days. But always bear in mind La Paz is a different type of town; everything you want to do other than the small downtown 'old district' is out of town (beaches, daytrips, island tours whale sharks, fishing, snorkeling, biking, hiking, kayaking, horseback-riding, etc.), and only a few of the many available restaurants are walking distance. A car is very desirable in La Paz because so many adventures are away from town and a means of transportation is helpful.
Thanks again and stay well, Richard

There are newer reviews for Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn

Reviewed February 9, 2014

ok, not sure where to start. Richard and Gloria make it feel as if you are a relative staying with them, but without the claustrophobia that might come along with a real stay with (some) relations ! I had a great 5 nights, 4 days in a city I knew nothing about. real time was spent orienting me and providing possible activities, at significant savings no less. I did not have a rental car and was "scouting" for a friends' trip in the future, so was travelling solo. when a taxi did not show up one night and I was starving, I asked Richard if he wouldn't mind calling for another one. he tossed me in his car and drove me to the taxi stand but, wait.... no taxi there either....so just kept driving to the malecon. this was a real expenditure of effort and time and one I considered way beyond the call of duty. mostly, it was very kind.

the house and units are terrific, to say the least. comfortable and colorful. the pool and breakfast area amazing. oh, a nice big garage exists for your rental car should you have one. and I should mention, finally, that the breakfasts were delicious and healthy as well.

when I return to La Paz no other hotel will be considered. highest marks.

Room Tip: all of the six rooms are terrific. if you want to cook, go for a larger room with kitchen facilitie...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
HaciendaParaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Don,
We very much appreciate your thoughtful remarks and want to say we had a great time with you.
Learning about La Paz (without doubt Baja's most fabulous town), and the beautiful surrounding
islands and white sand beaches is such a fun experience. And since all the beaches and bay day trips are out of the downtown area, it is always best to get a good quiet nights sleep and walk or taxi ($4.50) to noisier downtown. You are a funny guy and Gloria and I look forward to you're bringing your daughter down in May. Stay well until next- time, Gloria Laura and Richard

Reviewed January 29, 2014

We spent a week at this lovely bed and breakfast that was so very beautiful. The owners, Richard and Gloria, are very special people who openly and honestly welcome you to their home and then strive to care for your every need. The pool is beautiful and such a perfect focus to the hacienda.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
HaciendaParaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Dear Pat and Roger,
Thank you so much for your lovely review. You were great guests and we had a lot of fun with you both. I especially enjoyed Rogers and my conversations and hope to have more in the future.
Sorry we had to send you home to that frigid weather and hope your memories of Hacienda Paraiso help keep you warm. Stay well and the best of everything.
Richard and Gloria Laura

Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is my first review at Tripradvisor, and what a pleasure to do it for Hacienda Paraiso and their wonderful owners, very special people, Gloria and Richard. Since the moment I booked my stay for 6 nights I have been given so much attention and help from both regarding my stay, and also further traveling – I continued to The Copper Canyon after La Paz.

I am a solo female traveler, and this place is just precious for people like me. The garden area in front of the pool is very relaxing, and for some a good place to spend the whole day basking in sun. I would spend my mornings at always delicious breakfast, and some nights with glass of wine talking to Gloria and Richard or with other guests, and then I would plan out my days and activities. Richard’s knowledge in various subjects could possibly fit in an encyclopedia. That was not only helpful for me to figure out what to do in La Paz (and there is so much to do), but also to get the first hand information about the current ecological state of the affairs on planet Earth, which as one might guess, is not so optimistic. Gloria along very fun conversations had helped me modify my El Chepe train adventure in The Copper Canyon. I’m extremely grateful for that since it made my trip so much more exciting.

As for details, rooms are very comfortable, colorful and have all the amenities one could look for. Hacienda is somewhat away from the center, and guests could either drive their own car, get a taxi (50 pesos one way), rent a bike or, if you are like me, you could just walk. It would take me about 20 minutes to get the center, but it is a good way to learn about the place.

Richard and Gloria would provide each guest with a map with suggestions where to eat, drink, where to ATM, go to the beach, and so on. To get to the closest beach you would need to have some kind of transportation, but I did walk back from the one that is at the end of Malecon, because I wanted to see the rock formations above it, so it is not that impossible. However, the further you drive, the prettier it becomes. You could also hire a taxi for 4-5 hours a day or take a bus. Plenty of options. There are boat trips to islands of course, but sadly at the time I was there, the winds were high so I missed on that. If this is the main reason of the travel, then it is best to check what is the best season for those activities.

I miss La Paz, which is never a bad thing, it felt as if I was at home. Places like Hacienda Paraiso are what I’m always looking to find because I want my travels etched into my memories, and I want my memories to make me travel more.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jelena S
HaciendaParaiso, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear Jelena,

Thank you so much for your beautiful, effusive and heart-warming review. Gloria and I enjoyed very much having you stay with us and having the opportunity to help you plan your vacation at Hacienda Paraiso.in La Paz. As a single woman first time traveler to La Paz, one of the safest places in North America, we wanted to assist you to the max. Although the weather was unusually just windy enough for several days (global patterns are changing) to keep us off the water, I am glad that your overall experience was very pleasant and the beautiful island trip you missed will be very special one upon your return. We are happy that your Copper Canyon adventure went well and that we could be part of tweaking it for better results. It was a delight for us to have you, our first Bosnian born guest and share stories, wine and fun times.

You have said many wonderful positive things and if I were to respond to every one we could be here for quite a while, I think that you have shared much information for others to digest and this should be helpful to those considering coming to Hacienda Paraiso and La Paz. You are a
beautiful person and we wait for you return.

One thing you didn't mention but I know you appreciated was the woman who was waiting and talking to you at the airport, when finding out you were a single female visitor, invited you to her home that evening to share in a Christmas posada (look it up please) and subsequently invited Gloria Laura and me as well to share in this holiday event, once again showing the sharing good nature of Pacenos (people of La Paz).

We wish you the very best in the future and look forward to sharing more good times with you!
Our warmest regards, Richard, Gloria Laura, and Ashell

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We chose Hacienda Paraiso largely upon the photos of the colorful, comfortable accommodations. They really didn't quite capture how nice this place is, however. The clean, comfortable room, interesting and beautiful folk art throughout the grounds, courteous, professional staff, and gracious, engaging, and knowledgeable hosts Richard and Gloria (and their delightful pets) made for a very memorable experience that we will always remember fondly. Alvi's substantial home-cooked breakfasts (yes, the sopas were especially delicious) will keep you well-fueled for the many adventures offered up by La Paz. Richard is an enthusiastic amateur biologist/zoologist, making for enlightening breakfast conversation, very informed on local points of interest, and booked our snorkeling trip to the isle of Espiritu Santu (a highlight of any visit to La Paz) sagely on the one day we were there when the conditions were optimal. The tour operators Richard selected were enthusiastic and informative.
As others have noted, the location is ideal, far enough from the bustling malecon to be relaxingly quiet, yet close enough to make for an easy 10-minute drive. The distance is easily walkable too, but to take full advantage of the area's many attractions, a rental car is recommended. An enormous supermarket is a short walk away, ideal for stocking up on supplies for your daily excursions. In short, we cannot recommend Hacienda Paraiso highly enough, and look forward to staying with our new-found friends Richard and Gloria any time we may be fortunate enough to return to La Paz.

Room Tip: We stayed in Los Compadres, a first-floor room that we chose partly because of it's large librar...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
HaciendaParaiso, Director of Sales at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Mike and Irene,
Many thanks for your glowing review. Such is 'music to my ears' (you are both such accomplished musicians...as is your daughter)! We are thrilled that your stay was so excellent. We had a lot of fun with you guys; it is always a bit sad when it is all over.( Obscure reference) Mike,when you told me that your late (100yrs old) uncle, was Henry S. Fitch, one of my early Herpetological heroes, I was almost bowled over. Wish I could have been "in the field with him" back in the day. We do hope your return visit, will if possible, include your daughter and her significant other.
Continue to make beautiful music with the symphony orchestra and other venues and stay warm during this weird winter everyone seems to be having.
Gloria Laura and I wish you both the very best in this new year and look forward to seeing you maybe during a different season when you explore another side of La Paz.
Stay well until.... Richard and Gloria Laura

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We just returned from a fabulous trip to La Paz, where we spent 3 nights at Hacienda Paraiso. It is a beautiful property, in a neighborhood that is within a short walk to town. Richard and Gloria, are lovely and very welcoming. They gave us some great ideas on activities and restaurants. Avi's breakfasts were delicious and it was nice to sit outside and eat, chatting and enjoying the surroundings. Our rooms were immaculate, and it was great to have a small kitchen to use. We are looking forward to returning very soon!!!

Leslie, Charlie and the Hanson kids

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
HaciendaParaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Leslie and Charlie,
Gloria and I really appreciate you very lovely comments. It is never easy travelling as two adults and three grown kids with all of the different likes, dislikes, and decision making that has to be done. But somehow you made it happen and I think everyone enjoyed the opportunity to see Baja for the first time. We certainly enjoyed the many chats and helping to get the group organ-
ized for some exploration of La Paz.
We certainly hope that both you and Charlie can get back and explore during a different time of year and that the kids, as they finish their schooling (Tyler already has), will want to come and enjoy Baja and La Paz often.
We look forward to making many more helpful recommendations to assist you in finding more fun and exciting things to do in La Paz and at the beautiful Hacienda Paraiso, "your Mexican home away from home".
We are, as that old commercial used to say, "leaving the light on for you". Of course, all the best for you and Charlie,Tyler, Lindsey and Riley, and you Leslie and your kids at home for this New Year 2014! Stay well, Warmly, Richard and Gloria Laura

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Hi Richard and Gloria Laura. I think my daughter and I started missing you, your glorious hacienda, the great breakfasts and your adorable pets before we even left the La Paz city limits.

We had a fabulous trip. I really appreciate that I didn’t have to make many plans before we arrived. On the first day, Richard took the time to understand our interests and helped us arrange daily outings that were just right for us – he made suggestions, gave us driving directions and even made a few phone calls. We appreciate that Gloria Laura got us (and 6 other Hacienda guests) onto a snorkeling trip of Espiritu Santos on day when the wind was especially calm and most of the trips were already booked. Also, I had tried to arrange a whale watching trip in Magdelena Bay by email before we left, but many of the tour operators wrote back saying the first week in January was too early to see baby whales. However, Richard told us he’d heard that people had already seen baby whales in late December, so he gave us directions to a great place to hire a boat. It was a long drive, but we ended up with an uncrowded, locally arranged and much less expensive trip that included spectacular views of mother and baby whales. I can’t believe we almost missed that!

Richard and Gloria Laura seem to genuinely care about their guests (as others have said, it is like staying with friends), so I always felt sure that if we had encountered a problem, such as a car accident, they would have helped us out. However, we had no problems of any kind and never felt the least bit unsafe. It was very quiet at night.

Breakfast is from 8 to 9:30. Richard was always available during that time. We found it was a good time to get advice from him and compare travel notes with other guests, who all seemed to be intelligent, polite and environmentally conscious (hi to C, L, O and J the great, and thanks for the information on the sea turtle rescue). I enjoyed the morning conservations with Richard and we were honored to see his laboratory and impressive collection of shells and fossils. After breakfast, the guests all headed out on their own adventures. The breakfast itself and the coffee were delicious and kept me going well past lunch time.

There is no doubt in my mind that when we visit Baja again, we WILL stay at the Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
HaciendaParaiso, Owner at Hacienda Paraiso de La Paz Bed and Breakfast/Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

WOW! Dear Kathy and Andrea,
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write so your absolutely beautiful review. I couldn't do a better job myself. Your heartfelt sharing is much appreciated. If I didn't own the place and get to spend all of my time in paradise( Hacienda Paraiso), I would pack my bags and fly down immediately. Honestly, as soon as you guys left, we missed you too. I always felt that if I were to do what I do, that I would treat every guest as family and friends and just as importantly, offer the kind of advice that so many times I wished someone had given me. Even when it comes to trip planning for Baja, some of the most sincere thanks I get is from people who spoke to me BEFORE planning their trip and not relying on guide books or the internet to make their plans which many times turns out to be a less what could have been achieved vacation. Or even a logistically impractical one. Believe me, not only are all Baja towns or B@Bs not the same, but even the guide or tour services vary widely in quality and price (if we can save you money, we will). And I'll only give information or recommendations to places or tours that I've personally experienced and kept abreast of. We only want you to experience the best possible vacation which your turned out to be.
I feel not only do we serve the best breakfasts, but without we have the best breakfast conversations for those who want to converse. That truly starts my day. And if the conversation turns to science, ecology, or any life science involving animals( currently alive[extant] or extinct, I arise from my dormancy and truly feel as one with the world. So all Zoologists and Paleozoologists are cordially invited to La Paz and Hacienda Paraiso.
Needless to say that we wish you only the very best for 2014 and of course may her experience at MIT be everything it can be. Stay well...until next time...With fondest regards, Richard and Gloria Laura
PS: Next time I hope your husband and other daughter can share in the beauty and charm of La Paz and Hacienda Paraiso.